shape
carat
color
clarity

Time for a new book on spinel

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
With the ever-growing popularity of this superb gemstone, it's high time we had a dedicated book on the marvel that is spinel. I know Vladyslav Yavorskyy published 'Terra Spinel' in collaboration with Richard Hughes, but it's not really a gemmological study, like 'Ruby & Sapphire' was. Good luck trying to find a copy of 'Terra Spinel', too and if they do appear, the prices are astronomical.

So, I'm envisioning a big, heavy hardback book with lots of colour photographs and illustrations like 'Terra Spinel', but with detailed mineralogical and gemmological information too e.g. history, types of deposits, crystal forms, colour range, spectrometry, trace elements, inclusions, treatments, use in jewellery, and detailed descriptions of the places it is found. Maybe Richard Hughes could make it a future project? The demand is there, I'm sure, and maybe such a book would raise the profile of spinel further as a high-end gem and make more people take it seriously. Spinel, at it's best, outdoes ruby and blue sapphire IMHO.

I know I'd buy this book in a heartbeat! Does anyone else agree?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Me too! They have been my absolute favorite since I started collecting in 2003. Oh how I wish I had bought every 4ct plus one I saw back then instead of just collecting the different colors.

WilliamBayless

Rough_Rock
With the ever-growing popularity of this superb gemstone, it's high time we had a dedicated book on the marvel that is spinel. I know Vladyslav Yavorskyy published 'Terra Spinel' in collaboration with Richard Hughes, but it's not really a gemmological study, like 'Ruby & Sapphire' was. Good luck trying to find a copy of 'Terra Spinel', too and if they do appear, the prices are astronomical.

So, I'm envisioning a big, heavy hardback book with lots of colour photographs and illustrations like 'Terra Spinel', but with detailed mineralogical and gemmological information too e.g. history, types of deposits, crystal forms, colour range, spectrometry, trace elements, inclusions, treatments, use in jewellery, and detailed descriptions of the places it is found. Maybe Richard Hughes could make it a future project? The demand is there, I'm sure, and maybe such a book would raise the profile of spinel further as a high-end gem and make more people take it seriously. Spinel, at it's best, outdoes ruby and blue sapphire IMHO.

I know I'd buy this book in a heartbeat! Does anyone else agree?

The topic is actually an interesting one for me. I've been wanting to know more about spinel for a long time. All I know is that it is a mineral of cubic syngony. For this I started reading evaluation essays, using https://studymoose.com/essay-types/evaluation-essays for information. I have new hobbies all the time. It scares me sometimes, I hope it's normal.

Finally, it's about time.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Now to find someone to write it lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results