shape
carat
color
clarity

tightening prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WeddingGirl150

Rough_Rock
I''ve had my princess-cut solitaire for a few months now (4-prong setting with V prongs), and I had to get the prongs tightened a few weeks ago; I had noticed a "clicking" sound when I shook the ring next to my ear, and in about 10 seconds, the jeweller fixed it with a pair of pliers.

I''m very careful with my ring, but already I''ve noticed that the clicking sound has come back. What I''m wondering is, is it safe to tighten the prongs myself if I get a pair of jewellers'' pliers to do it? My fiance bought the ring in another state, so going back to the original jeweller every time the prongs are a little loose is somewhat unrealistic. Yet I''ve noticed that other jewellers tend to charge a hefty fee for prong tightening -- annoying when it looked so simple.

I certainly don''t want to harm the ring, which is why I feel I already know the answer to this question, but I thought I''d throw it out there to the experts to tell me for sure.

Thanks in advance for your help!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The truth is probably as you suspected already. You should not attempt to tighten your diamond. It takes a degree of experience, including breaking a few stones, before one can gauge the amount of strength required to do the job, yet not fracture the diamond. You''d probably mar the prongs in the attempt and be unable to properly polish them back to a finished state.

This is a job best left to those who do it as a professional service. The diamond should nto get loose so rapidly. Maybe the prongs are overly thin, or the diamond is set a bit too high, or the diamond does not really fit the prongs correctly. A good jeweler ought to make it tight and stay that way for many years, not months.

WeddingGirl150

Rough_Rock
That''s what I needed to hear. Thanks!!

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
My diamond was rattling around too, and I had my prongs tightened at a local independent jeweler. It only cost $16 plus tax, they did a terrific job on the prongs and polished the whole ring so it looked shiny and new. Don''t delay getting it fixed, you could lose your stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results