shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiger's Eye Ring?

HyZer1

Rough_Rock
Before he passed, my uncle gave me a ring he had. He said he found it when he was a young man (1940s). My wife says the ring is a Tiger's Eye stone. I think it looks too light in color for Tiger's Eye but I cannot find any other stone that looks like this. Any ideas?

I remember seeing men wear rings that looked like this one when I was a kid in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

On the inner band I can make out JOHN ALDEN and a worn number with a "K" after it so, 10, 12 or 14K I assume.

Would JOHN ALDEN be the former owner or was that a jewelry maker?

I doubt it's worth more than it's gold value. Any Ideas?

Thanks!
IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2288.JPG

HyZer1

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Very interesting.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a pretty cool looking ring, seashell, tigers eye or whatever
(I do wonder if your wife ment cat's eye not tiger eye ?)

HyZer1

Rough_Rock
Sea shell is a good suggestion. I see what you mean, Rfisher.

Thanks, Daisys and Diamonds, I agree, it is a cool looking ring. (I did look up cat's eye and saw nothing resembling whatever it is that's in this ring.)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like some kind of organic gem like a non nacreous pearl, but I'm glitching on what it is called. Really neat ring!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's operculum shell. Like @MelMc says.
Not tiger eye at all.

A really nice ring!

HyZer1

Rough_Rock
Operculum shell (Eye of Shiva) is correct! I knew I came to the right place! Thanks "MelMc" and "stracci2000".

I am not sure if values can be suggested here at PriceScope but if they can, does anyone have an idea on this ring's worth? In my original post I thought it was maybe worth whatever the gold content is but with all the comments here as to what a nice ring this is, I am thinking it's worth more than just its gold value.

Thanks again for the help and for any suggestions on worth.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results