shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm not even going to read the responses because I know there will be negativity toward Tiffany thrown out there but I am a HUGE Tiffany lover. I think it is ALL fantastic and high quality! SOME people think it's all about the box which is not true. AND not everyone wants to replicate Tiffany's and would rather have the real deal.

To each his own I guess.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 3:20:22 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
The only thing that really bothers me about Tiffanys, and Cartier, and other such stores (other than mark-up) is that you can''t get sometihng custom done, or really altered (like thinner shank, or claw prongs, etc.). I don''t think it''s too much of a concern for most (maybe just for us PS-obsessed) but it would really bother me that I wouldn''t be able to have my ring exactly the way I wanted it.
Actually Brown....you CAN have the settings altered. I found out about this recently as I was curious about possibly adjusting a Tiffany Setting to be thinner if it was too thick to my taste. They will work with you. Just not many people know about it.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 6:26:01 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 6/16/2009 3:20:22 PM
The only thing that really bothers me about Tiffanys, and Cartier, and other such stores (other than mark-up) is that you can''t get sometihng custom done, or really altered (like thinner shank, or claw prongs, etc.). I don''t think it''s too much of a concern for most (maybe just for us PS-obsessed) but it would really bother me that I wouldn''t be able to have my ring exactly the way I wanted it.
Actually Brown....you CAN have the settings altered. I found out about this recently as I was curious about possibly adjusting a Tiffany Setting to be thinner if it was too thick to my taste. They will work with you. Just not many people know about it.
Dreamgirl is right--Tiff''s will definitely work with you on custom-ish stuff. I wanted a Jazz band as my wedding ring, but they didn''t make it in a small enough size for me, so they said they could do a custom band in my size . . . for an additional cost. That really broke the budget, unfortunately, but I got a really pretty band from Whiteflash instead! It was about a quarter of what I would have paid at Tiffany''s (with the added cost of making a whole new cast custom for me). Maybe something that didn''t require as much design work and stuff wouldn''t add such a huge cost?

To answer the original question, Tiff''s is definitely fabulous. However, I think their prices are high, and they aren''t the best for the size-hungry and budget-conscious (me). I would always pick the bigger non-Tiffany diamond over the smaller Tiffany one, but that''s my personal preference. I definitely love the Tiff''s aesthetic, though. They have such gorgeous, classic designs!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I love T&Co. What girl WOULDN''T want to pull off that famous white ribbon for her ering? That said, I just can''t allow myself to pay the mark-up. I''ll buy smaller items from Tiffany, but I just wouldn''t want my BF to get my ering there (unless the budget was unlimited).

We bought our stone from GOG and it was just set in the Mark Morrell Flame. If you love the fluidity of the Tiff solitaire, I''d recommend looking at Mark Morrell''s website. His designs are fantastic! Also, Excel has a damn good Tiff solitaire replica. That was probably my second choice behind Mark Morrell.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 6:26:01 PM

Hi Dream!
35.gif
I think it actually depends on the setting you want altered. SO and I asked about having one of the settings altered (RB w/ channel set band) and we were told absolutely not, since it would alter the proportions Tiffany has pre-set. We asked at two different stores.
33.gif

At any rate, I am waiting for SO to propose with the Tiffany ring we chose several months back. The experience of selecting the ring was fantastic and SO was really impressed with the service. Our SA was very accommodating with holding rings we wanted to see, as SO was traveling a lot at the time. SO wanted to purchase a branded ring (perhaps a cultural thing) and it made him feel better to know that the ring I tried on and loved was the exact one I was going to get. I''m not sure he could have dealt with designing something and crossing our fingers that it ended up the way we wanted. I am over the moon with the ring I will be receiving and sure, knowing it is from Tiffany''s makes it a little bit sweeter.
2.gif

Yes, Tiffany''s is overpriced (as are all stores in that realm) but if you love Tiffany''s and can get something you love in your budget, then by all means go for it!
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 7:24:51 PM
Author: Travel Goddess
I love T&Co. What girl WOULDN''T want to pull off that famous white ribbon for her ering? That said, I just can''t allow myself to pay the mark-up. I''ll buy smaller items from Tiffany, but I just wouldn''t want my BF to get my ering there (unless the budget was unlimited).
This one. I would have told him to take it back. Not joking.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 1:28:41 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Haha, I thought of you when I read that post
9.gif

I''m not a T&Co hater, but I just don''t see what the big deal is. The designs are very bland to me. I know what simple elegance is, and Tiffany is just not it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a Tiffany fan myself. I like the pieces, but I cannot justify the prices. If it''s something that you''ve always wanted and it''s affordable then there''s no reason not to have a Tiffany engagement ring. It''s all down to personal choices.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2009 2:52:38 AM
Author: choro72

Haha, I thought of you when I read that post
9.gif

I''m not a T&Co hater, but I just don''t see what the big deal is. The designs are very bland to me. I know what simple elegance is, and Tiffany is just not it.
I respectfully disagree.

tiffsqchannel.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Ditto. I''d be really annoyed if BF bought me Tiffs (and this from a girl who used to be super pro-Tiffs). If I wanted one of their proprietary cuts, sure. That''d be worth it. You just can''t get a Lucida anywhere else. Then it''s worth it. But for a simple RB solitaire? Waste of money, IMHO. MWM is much more fluid and elegant, as is Leon. I don''t think the Tiffany settings are worth the mark up.

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
I''ve posted about this in the past..my e-ring is from Tiffanys and I have actually almost grown to resent that about it. (never even set foot in a Tiffanys store until I went to have it sent to be sized..and I didnt even know DH was ring shopping until he proposed.) I wish I had never found out how much he paid for it (for insurance purposes - I wasnt snooping!
2.gif
) because I can''t stop wondering what ring he could have purchased had elsewhere for the same price or even less.

That said, like others mentioned, the customer service is great and my ring is beautiful, but as most people said, if you dont care about the name, depending on the setting you could get an equivalent ring somewhere else for significantly less money.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Regarding Tiffany's custom work---they do (happily) assist you. I had trilliants next to my EC from their store. Liked the trilliants, but wanted step-cuts. They helped me by using the type of side stones I wanted (trapz) in the size I liked (.40cttw) and set the diamond lower for me than they normally do, as well as make the bottom of the ring more "comfort fitted". They were fabulous...and the cost of the new setting was only $450 more than the quote I got from Leon Mege...so not bad! And while I like Leon's work, $450 more to work with a reputable store by my home with the ability to have service (i.e. cleaning, etc) by my house was 100% worth the extra pennies :)

p.s. Suchende---you are right---I too respectfully disagree...Tiffany has some beautiful, very elegant pieces...anyone that stats otherwise perhaps hasn't spent enough time looking....

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock

DITTO - BIG TIME!!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 10:33:13 AM
Author: UCLABelle
Regarding Tiffany's custom work---they do (happily) assist you. I had trilliants next to my EC from their store. Liked the trilliants, but wanted step-cuts. They helped me by using the type of side stones I wanted (trapz) in the size I liked (.40cttw) and set the diamond lower for me than they normally do, as well as make the bottom of the ring more 'comfort fitted'. They were fabulous...and the cost of the new setting was only $450 more than the quote I got from Leon Mege...so not bad! And while I like Leon's work, $450 more to work with a reputable store by my home with the ability to have service (i.e. cleaning, etc) by my house was 100% worth the extra pennies :)

p.s. Suchende---you are right---I too respectfully disagree...Tiffany has some beautiful, very elegant pieces...anyone that stats otherwise perhaps hasn't spent enough time looking....
I have spent plenty of time looking at the blue website when I was infected with the LIW bug. Nevertheless, I maintain my assertion, including the part of my eye for simple elegance. I will repeat, also respectfully, "The designs are very bland to me", with the proper emphasis on to me. Hopefully this is PC enough.
I admit that my preference are not of the ps norm, and that I own one of the hardest head in the world. Any attempt to impress me with the Novo, Legacy, Lucida, and all the T&Co ering will be as fruitless as my attempt to convince you not to be impressed by them.
Maybe if T&Co ease on their ridiculous markups and marketing manipulations, I will consider them with less aversion.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
No one is ever convinced in this argument--and it goes on all the time.
Some are name brand people and some aren''t and that''s just the way it is--impossible to convince someone who''s the other way. the only thing I''m sorry about if an engaged couple can''t agree with each other about this.
best of luck deciding.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 10:41:59 PM
Author: Black Jade

Some are name brand people and some aren''t and that''s just the way it is--impossible to convince someone who''s the other way. the only thing I''m sorry about if an engaged couple can''t agree with each other about this.

best of luck deciding.

Ditto. Well, there are some who come to PS thinking they want the name, and realize that they can get a MUCH better deal and a similar look for the same amount of money, so they convert
3.gif
But for the most part, Black Jade is right - some are brand name people and some aren''t.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 12:32:29 AM
Date: 6/19/2009 10:41:59 PM

Author: Black Jade

best of luck deciding.

Ditto. Well, there are some who come to PS thinking they want the name, and realize that they can get a MUCH better deal and a similar look for the same amount of money, so they convert
3.gif
But for the most part, Black Jade is right - some are brand name people and some aren''t.

This is truly what it comes down to. Either you''re a brand person, or you''re not!

Fortunately, I am NOT. I''d take a "cheaper" Leon every single time. And would have made my hub take back a ring from Tiff''s. But he knows me better than to buy anything there!

The quality is just not there for the price. Sometimes they do lovely work, but many times...
32.gif

OH, and I do own a completely custom pendant from Tiffany! Before they became a mall brand
3.gif
Custom designed by my hubby''s grandfather for his grandmother. My SIL also has her AMAZING, huge ruby custom Tiffany e-ring. I do like that kind of Tiffany
2.gif
Both pieces are from the 1940s or 50s.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those rings sound really cool icekid, you should post pics sometime!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
To me, to tell a guy to take back a Tiffany engagement ring because he overpaid is about the same as telling a guy to take back a ring he didn''t pay ENOUGH for. We see so many threads here about "my SO''s budget is too low" or "Help! He wants to buy from Zales." And we help these girls figure out how to get their guy to understand why he should shop around or increase his budget. Now we would threaten to say no to a ring because he spent too much? Good grief, I''m really glad I''m NOT a guy.

I''ve seen countless girls say "He could propose to me with a vending machine ring, a cheap silver ring, or no ring at all! It''s not about the ring, it''s about what the ring represents." Yet after I read threads like these, I have to think a lot of it is just complete BS.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
The reason I''d tell him to take it back is the same reason I''d break up with him if he proposed tomorrow. It would mean he wasn''t listening to me, and that he thinks he knows what I want/need better than I do. And I happen to think that for a basic RB or princess (neither of which I want), Tiff''s is overpriced and you pay for the name. Well, I don''t care about the name so I don''t see a reason to pay for it. I don''t particularly care for any of Tiff''s proprietary cuts, so I wouldn''t want him to get any of those.

Luckily, my BF knows this. And Freke''s FI knew that. And choro''s DH (you are married, right, choro? Or did I just imagine that I saw pictures?) knew that. So really, just because some girls freak out that their BF thinks Zales is a good place to shop, and others freak out because their guys think Tiff''s is a good place doesn''t mean it would suck to be a guy. IMO, it would suck to be a guy that chose not to communicate with his GF about what she wanted for a ring.

So if I don''t want a Tiff''s ring, I won''t get one. If you or DG or whoever want one, I hope your BFs know that and have started saving. Nobody''s denying that the name carries a premium, it''s just whether it''s worth it. For me, going for a non-Tiff''s stone would be worth it because I would value getting a larger stone over getting one from there. Just like for me, going down in colour and/or clarity would be worth it because I don''t understand paying a premium for a D/VVS stone.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 12:40:49 PM
Author: princesss
The reason I''d tell him to take it back is the same reason I''d break up with him if he proposed tomorrow. It would mean he wasn''t listening to me, and that he thinks he knows what I want/need better than I do. And I happen to think that for a basic RB or princess (neither of which I want), Tiff''s is overpriced and you pay for the name. Well, I don''t care about the name so I don''t see a reason to pay for it. I don''t particularly care for any of Tiff''s proprietary cuts, so I wouldn''t want him to get any of those.

Luckily, my BF knows this. And Freke''s FI knew that. And choro''s DH (you are married, right, choro? Or did I just imagine that I saw pictures?) knew that. So really, just because some girls freak out that their BF thinks Zales is a good place to shop, and others freak out because their guys think Tiff''s is a good place doesn''t mean it would suck to be a guy. IMO, it would suck to be a guy that chose not to communicate with his GF about what she wanted for a ring.

So if I don''t want a Tiff''s ring, I won''t get one. If you or DG or whoever want one, I hope your BFs know that and have started saving. Nobody''s denying that the name carries a premium, it''s just whether it''s worth it. For me, going for a non-Tiff''s stone would be worth it because I would value getting a larger stone over getting one from there. Just like for me, going down in colour and/or clarity would be worth it because I don''t understand paying a premium for a D/VVS stone.

Well put. I agree with you there. I''m sorry if seemed like I was going after a few anti-Tiffany people. Like I said before, I wouldn''t want my BF to pay the mark-up either. I think I''m just in a mood today. And sometimes it seems like unless we ladies pick out the exact stone and exact setting, we will have something to complain about. And I can''t fault ladies who do that because I''m one of them. I really don''t envy guys during the ring buying process.

Again, my apologies for being a bit snarky.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Not a problem! I just thought a little clarification would be good for all parties, you know?

I'm definitely in the design it myself camp, lol. Thank goodness BF knows me well enough to know that. And I know I could just give him some preferences and he'd do a great job, but we tend to be of the "I want to get you exactly what you want" mentality so it'd just be easier in the long run to have me in on it from the get-go.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 2:39:35 PM
Not a problem! I just thought a little clarification would be good for all parties, you know?

I''m definitely in the design it myself camp, lol. Thank goodness BF knows me well enough to know that. And I know I could just give him some preferences and he''d do a great job, but we tend to be of the ''I want to get you exactly what you want'' mentality so it''d just be easier in the long run to have me in on it from the get-go.
Ditto. And I''ll openly admit to being a snob in my own right. I mean, I am a girl who ended up changing my setting within 6 months of receiving the ring.

Now here is something interesting to contemplate...
I told FI that he could propose to me with a Tiffany''s ring. HOWEVER, it was a silver Elsa Peretti tsavorite stacking band. Which he obviously did NOT propose with. But it wasn''t the fact that it was a Tiffany ring...or Elsa Peretti. I just loved the ring THAT much.

He said it wasn''t good enough for an ering.

But that''s the thing. I didn''t/don''t want anything Tiffany''s had/has to offer. That ring is the only thing that''s come close.

I never bought that ring myself because I couldn''t justify that price for what it was. Silver with a tiny tsavorite of poor (I still love it) color, and therefore quality. I bought a bigger tsav with better color, at least three times bigger, with about the same quality of cut. How much did that stone cost? $39. How much was the Tiff ring? $215. Material costs for the Tiff ring? Probably $50--and that''s stretching it. So that leaves $165 for the designer, workmanship and profits. Eek.

I ended up getting it from FI for my 26th birthday. I wear it instead of my ering very often.

So in that situation, the name Tiffany and that price tag prevented me from purchasing. Even though I loved it.

But yeah, my FI knows me. And princesss is right, if he didn''t know me, and get me a ring I REALLY wanted, and instead gave me something that he thought was better because of a name? I would have turned it away. I would have preferred a twisty-tie to a Tiffany''s ring.

And Princesss, he literally said to me: "I want to get you exactly what you want." So he did.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
And Princesss, he literally said to me: ''I want to get you exactly what you want.'' So he did.

Hurray for all the guys who take this point of view
36.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Not everyone shops at Tiffany''s for the namesake. Some people just shop there for the style and quality of the products. I hate when people jump to conclusions all the time...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 11:40:51 AM
Not everyone shops at Tiffany''s for the namesake. Some people just shop there for the style and quality of the products. I hate when people jump to conclusions all the time...
But many times when people want style and quality, they''re willing to look at multiple vendors. It''s when people get stuck on one place in particular, without considering any other store, that you see people thinking they''re falling prey to marketing instead of just happening to find exactly the right piece there.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 11:43:43 AM

But many times when people want style and quality, they''re willing to look at multiple vendors. It''s when people get stuck on one place in particular, without considering any other store, that you see people thinking they''re falling prey to marketing instead of just happening to find exactly the right piece there.
This is fair. I would hardly say I am a "brand person" generally, but I do have a special place in my heart for Tiffany and Cartier.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamgirl ... I challenge you to go into Tiffany''s & check out the Legacy collection *closely*. See if you still think they are worth the blanket "high quality" label you''ve given them. Most of the Legacy pieces I''ve seen look sloppy & cheap & wonky.

Tiffany gets it right more often than they get it wrong -- but they *DO* get it wrong. And they''ve gone a long way toward cheapening their image of late ... JMHO.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh I look at everything closely. I''m very particular about anything I own. So when I purchase things even from Tiffany, I look it over closely to make sure it''s correct. I never said they were perfect.

I''ll never win this battle. I just wish people didn''t judge someone because they like something...we all have our reasons (different reasons) for being a fan of one thing or another. That doesn''t make it that someone loves Tiffany''s for being "TIFFANY"

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Dream, as someone said before, if you like Tiffany''s for what it is--whether that''s quality, name, signature pieces, etc.--then there is no need to feel that you have to justify yourself, or ''win a battle.'' One of the things that I think is so cool about you is how much you love your Tiffany''s. I also think its awesome that you buy these pieces for yourself, because you love them, and because you''re collecting them. If your heart skips a beat knowing that you''re wearing Tiff''s, that''s good enough reason to me.

I love Tiffany''s. I love them because they have beautiful pieces...but I don''t love them enough to pay mark up. I wanted quality in my diamond...that was the only thing that I specified to FI. Name wasn''t important.

As for my setting, I want something custom, so I know who to go to for that...should be fun!
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results