shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s vs. Harry Winston

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

harlowqueen

Rough_Rock
I know it''s not Friday but I couldn''t help posting a short commentary on our shopping experience at both Harry Winston and Tiffany''s. We were in the market for a high quality 2+ carat ering and went looking at both places, as well as online and wholesalers in the diamond district in NY. In the end, my fiance picked out a beautiful diamond from Harry Winston, which you can see here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/harry-winston-ering.15007/

I just thought that I would like to inform all of you who are considering a Tiffany''s ring and never looked at HW because you thought you couldn''t afford it, think again. Our experience was that, while the sticker price at HW was higher, they were willing to negotiate and ended up taking 30% off the sticker price. Not to mention the fact that there was no comparison in the quality of their stones (nothing below an F, VS1) and wonderful customer service.

Tiffany''s on the other hand, made us stand there for 1/2 hour before we could even see a diamond in the case and then treated us as if we could never afford the stone--which was an H, VS2--and just as expensive as the HW.

All in all, my fiance loved his experience at HW and they made him feel far more comfortable about his purchase with them than did Tiffany''s. We would go back to HW in a heartbeat!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Who know you could bargain at Harry Winston's? Great to hear that you had a good experience and that you love your ring.

Daniela

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Had no idea you could deal at HW's

harlowqueen

Rough_Rock
Well, I should be clear. We went in and told them what we were looking for not surprised to find out that it was more than what we wanted to spend. When we told our salesperson this he "made a call" and came back and said that he could reduce the price by 30%.

So it wasn't a negotiation per se, but we certainly didn't pay sticker price for it!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That's fascinating. I, too, had no idea that HW would be willing to lower prices.

Of course, the pieces I want at HW I couldn't afford even with a discount!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm interesting notes! HW at 30% off? I'm there! I LOVE their claw prong settings...future right hand ring? Eh who am I kidding, I love building rings from scratch with hand-selected stones. I think I am now forever ruined for pre-set baubles.
sick.gif

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to add my personal experience to the Harry Winston discussion.

I grew up in Los Angeles, and have always been a diamond fanatic.

When I was 16, I would head to Rodeo Drive to visit the upscale jewelers. Of all the vendors on Rodeo - HW was always the friendliest!
I would waltz in there with a friend – and they would willingly let us “play” with the jewelry. I remember them allowing me try on half million dollar necklaces, rings of all shapes and sizes and anything my heart desired.

They knew we weren’t there to buy anything. But, they would let us have our fun, and they would teach us about the stones. It was a wonderful experience. Of course, they didn’t have to oblige, but they did so with smiles on their faces.

They are amazing. I wouldn’t think twice about spending money with them. HW is a class act.

On the flip-side I refuse to purchase anything for myself at Tiffany’s. For the most part, the service isn’t up to their promise. I went in there not long ago with my father to look at 4ct diamonds for my mother. (Dad brings me, since he knows zero about stones.) I couldn’t believe how poorly we were treated. They completely ignored us!!! And once we had a sales associate helping us, she was rude… You’d think they’d have treated a customer who wanted a 4ct ring much better. Anytime I have gone into Tiffany’s to buy gifts I vow not to step in there again. (They do have gorgeous crystal!)

Sorry for getting long-winded.
2.gif

There are SO MANY wonderful high-end jewelers in LA – I wish people would look into the others rather than running to Tiff & Co.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's interesting. I'd have never thought that you could 'bargain' at HW.
1.gif
Is F/VS 1 their lowest quality?!
6.gif
9.gif

harlowqueen

Rough_Rock
Giangi:

As a rule they only take in stones that are F/VS1 or better. However, occasionally they say that they will bring in an exceptionally high G stone.

Also, I totally agree with what kittenkat said. The first time we saw the stone at HW was when we went in "just for fun" thinking we'd never be able to afford it. Although we walked in wearing jeans, sneakers, and tshirts they treated us like we were any other valued customer.

On the other hand, I have been in Tiffany's many a time decked to the nines and dripping in labels and the salespeople were still very rude.

HQ

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
There isn't a HW where I live, so I can only say what our experience at Tiffany's was like. When we were shopping for my ER the service we got was impeccable. We asked for no less than 7 different Lucidas of varying weights, and they were more than happy to get them in for us...they had to be sent in from another state. We viewed different rings during three different sittings in a private room. The sales person printed out the certifications and in no way pressured us. We were very pleased with the whole purchase. I'm sorry to hear the bad experiences some of you have had. I would love to visit HW, maybe sometime when I go to NY. Harlowqueen I LOVE your new e-ring. I adore the simplicity of a single solitare setting, and your emerald cut is just stunning. Congrats again!
appl.gif

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Well just for laughs at lunch hour today I walked over to HW. Why not after reading this post. I was not ready to buy but look and compare classic eternity ring I saw at Tiffany.
I was surprised how close the prices were given quality and size.

The Tiffany eternity ring: .84tcw, 3pts each, RB,G/VS 3mm band, price: $3150

The HW eternity ring: 1.06tcw, 4pts each, RB, D,E,F/VS, 3mm band, $3400

Not going to buy either of them, can do much better with PS vendors.

harlowqueen

Rough_Rock
Balteu:

That's great...see, you're giving me information too! My fiance suggested that we go back to HW for the wedding band but I was feeling a little guilty thinking that we had already dropped a pretty penny on the ering. Again, of course one could find just as nice of an ering from a different vendor...but if he insists that my wedding band also has to come from HW then I guess I'll just have to accept it.
2.gif

wallace

Shiny_Rock
OooooH! It makes me so sad when people think they can't go into a certain type of store. The nicer it is, the more likely you are to be treated well! (Not in every single case...) but you can negotiate anywhere! Remember, the nicer the store, the bigger the mark-up (and it may not be quite as bed as you think). The more "price adjustment" room there is! You don't have to feel like you're being takcy! It sounds like your salesperson handled it beautifully - he recognized that he had some people who were educated about price and he could either let you go buy elsewhere (especially in NY where the diamond district is a stones throw away)- or he could give you the Harry Winston experience, let you know just what they are all about, and promote a long term realtionship with a client! Nice move, HW!

I'm not a huge fan of Tiffany's mostly because it's too big inside (NYC)! I wouldn't think twice about popping into HW with 5k in my pocket. That is - if you are informed and prepared to pay retail prices. Now, we have options and some people may prefer to get a better deal on the internet and strecth their funds... preface made, so we don't have to have another thread on that!

I would just like to mention, if you are in the DC area and you are looking for the "FIfth Ave." experience... Do NOT be mistaken and go to the obvious - Tiny Jewel Box. THis is McDonald's all gussied up in borrowed clothes! Please, heed my warning and if you want Fifth Ave, go to Fifth Ave.! THe real thing is always inbeatable. That said, I had HW service at a not-so-famous store (no frills) and DID negotiate - honesty is the best you can get out of any store. If they cannot answer your questions honestly, promptly, willingly and educate you - then leave!

B - thanks for doing the comparison shopping - that was a compelling piece of info! And you got to spend luch in the velevet palace!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results