shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s vs. DeBeers vs. ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Quin1116

Rough_Rock
First off I''m sorry for having to post this,maybe its been answered already, but it is a question I have had for a while. What are the big name diamond/jewelry designers/retailers and how do they rate in terms of engagement rings? I am really looking for something with pave diamonds and maybe an edwardian style. I know that most of you will say that I can get a better deal elsewhere but I am really set on getting an engagement ring from somewhere well known. My girlfriend''s friends all got their rings from Shane Co. so I really wanted to do something different and more extravagant. So how do they rate Tiffany, DeBeers, Cartier, etc? By the way I''m looking to spend $15K max.

Thanks everyone, and sorry again if this has already been discussed.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Rate in terms of what, price, quality, service, selection?

Quin1116

Rough_Rock
All of the above. Rate them in terms of which one would you prefer to buy from. I know that when buying I consider quality vs cost. And I reiterate that I know these places have higher prices because of their name but I want to consider that as well.

kkarpeles

Rough_Rock
Richard Landi and Gregg Ruth have nice e rings.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH man... I LOVE richard Landi. 5-6K for a setting... but so lovely.

At tiffany''s you are going to pay 12K for a one carat diamond. Have fun.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you want to do something extravagant, which to you means buying from Tiffany''s etc., but I will put this out there first. If you girl is NOT obsessed with the blue or red box, she would probably prefer size over "name brands". You are severly limiting the size of the diamond by buying from one of those retailers.

Shane Co is not really any better than a mall store. The brands of rings they sell aren''t great, the stones are overpriced and often not a good cut, etc. So pretty much ANYTHING you would get from a well regarded PS vendor would blow their rings out of the water.

If you REALLY want to impress her, buy her a Ritani or another designer setting of that nature (Daniel K, Leon Mege, Beverly K, are all other names that come to mind), with a KILLER center stone. You will easily be able to afford a 1.5+ stone depending on the shape and the stone will blow her away. Not to mention that these designer settings are immaculate in their craftsmanship and just as nice as Tiff''s IMO.

If you go to Tiff''s, Cartier, etc. you''re looking at a 1ct or less probably depending on color,clarity, and the intricacy of the setting.

Just FYI.

BUT if you''re going to buy from one of the high end retailers, there is nothing like the lure of the Tiffany...and their solitaire erings are gorgeous. You''re just going to pay through the nose for it.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 8:16:13 PM
Author: neatfreak
I know you want to do something extravagant, which to you means buying from Tiffany''s etc., but I will put this out there first. If you girl is NOT obsessed with the blue or red box, she would probably prefer size over ''name brands''. You are severly limiting the size of the diamond by buying from one of those retailers.

Shane Co is not really any better than a mall store. The brands of rings they sell aren''t great, the stones are overpriced and often not a good cut, etc. So pretty much ANYTHING you would get from a well regarded PS vendor would blow their rings out of the water.

If you REALLY want to impress her, buy her a Ritani or another designer setting of that nature (Daniel K, Leon Mege, Beverly K, are all other names that come to mind), with a KILLER center stone. You will easily be able to afford a 1.5+ stone depending on the shape and the stone will blow her away. Not to mention that these designer settings are immaculate in their craftsmanship and just as nice as Tiff''s IMO.

If you go to Tiff''s, Cartier, etc. you''re looking at a 1ct or less probably depending on color,clarity, and the intricacy of the setting.

Just FYI.

BUT if you''re going to buy from one of the high end retailers, there is nothing like the lure of the Tiffany...and their solitaire erings are gorgeous. You''re just going to pay through the nose for it.

I second what neatfreak said. However, if you MUST choose one, I say go for Cartier. In my social circle (late 20s-early 30s, NYC) Tiffany''s is considered overpriced and just "good" in terms of quality. Cartier is considered a notch above Tiffany''s, with the brand name AND the excellent quality jewelry.

kkarpeles

Rough_Rock
Here are some more designers with beautiful settings. You can get something amazing with that amount of money if you shop at a the right place. Jewelery mark up in retailers is HUGE. You are basically paying for the name. I would rather see you pay for a good quality product than a "name"

Eli Jewelry in New Orleans, LA
JB Star has some beautiful setting you mentioned
Mark Morrell - custom pieces out of MA
Richard Landi- he is local to NYC and his son works with him

NYC

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither, leon mege. Craftsmanship and designs are better, price is about the same or maybe a tad less.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Brand name are great and yes I wear brand name clothing and shoes etc.

But, have you thought of having something CUSTOM MADE just for you and your fiancee. I did......and it was a fantastic decision!!!!!! It is a one of kind ring......no one else in the world has one exactly like it!!!!!!!

Forget BRANDS!!!!!!! Make your own BRAND!!!!!! You definitely have the budget to make something SPECATACULAR!!!!!!

Just my thoughts
MWG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd vote for a top quality diamond from Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash because they have outstanding reputations for excellent diamonds and have it custom set by Leon Mege in NY or Maytal Hannah in LA. I believe you'll get quality as good or better than Tiffany or any of the other major designers. And her ring will be faaaar and away better than her friends rings.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/

http://www.maytalhannah.com/

You won't get much at Cartier or Tiffany for $15,000. You can try to buy Tiffany second hand at Signed Pieces, though.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the girl and her tastes. I have a Tiffany but I also loved a Cartier design - the problem was it wouldn''t sit flush with a band and that really bothered me. Lots of the the other designs that are popular now are too busy for me, like the halos and micro-pave.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with diamondseeker. For 15k you can get a fab diamond, superior quality and well over a carat by going to one of the PS retailers, and you can have a setting custom designed. Believe me, that will be much more extravagant than going to Shane Co.

Unless she has something she specifically loves at Tiffany or Cartier, I would go that route, and it gives you more money to play around with in designing that Edwardian setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results