shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''''s & negotiating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 12:35:27 PM
Author: reena

Date: 12/2/2004 12:29:37 PM
Author: RockGirl
wow! some people get pretty touchy on this site. But I guess when you post 2,008 times... this kinda becomes your life.
wow! some people get pretty bitchy on this site.
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

oh, and you can make that 2,009.
Reena has been so generous with her help and she really tries to investigate things for people she does not even know.
Since she has a fiance, a job, and is no doubt planning a wedding, I hardly think this is her life. She is just a giving person and I appreciate her help.

Thank you, Reena.

reena

Ideal_Rock
thank you solange.
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 12:29:37 PM
Author: RockGirl
wow! some people get pretty touchy on this site. But I guess when you post 2,008 times... this kinda becomes your life.
Boy, did you register just for that?
41.gif

StatiK76

Rough_Rock
DENTALTECH,

I posted into a similar T&C thread a couple of weeks ago. The responses that were flung at me, very closely resemble the responses you have recieved. It''s funny to me that you post a message regarding negotiating a price with T&C .. and the majority of your responses are filled with non-Tiffany options.

Some people here are penny pinchers, some are enthusiasts, some are bargain shoppers, some are just *******s. Either way, you''ll have a hard time posting anything regarding this company without having a dozen monkeys with keyboards flinging their personal anti-Tiffany opinions/options at you. This is not new to this forum; and many of the people that claim to hate these T&C threads are the most active participants in them.

Its rude and completely inconsiderate of these people to suggest another option when it was rather obvious you had already made a decision. Why these people care how you spend your money is beyond me .. but the majority of them feel its their duty to inform you - whether you asked or not.. just ignore them.

Re: Negotiating with T&C. I tried. Even with a looming 3% "Mastercard threat" .. the price was not negotiable. I even attempted the ol'' "American Express threat" as well ... same result. Ah well - it was an attempt .. meh - this was never about money .. so who cares! "i''ll make more"

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 2:13:23 PM
Author: StatiK76

Its rude and completely inconsiderate of these people to suggest another option when it was rather obvious you had already made a decision. Why these people care how you spend your money is beyond me .. but the majority of them feel its their duty to inform you - whether you asked or not.. just ignore them.

Someone said it earlier. This is a consumer education forum. People CARE because that's the point of the forum. Helping others. This is an educated bunch, whether people want to admit it or not. I didn't see one person tell the original poster he was a fool for buying from Tiffany. Rather it was more along the lines of, just be sure that you ARE educated and you know what you are getting yourself into rather than assuming it's what she wants. To me that is NOT rude and inconsiderate but rather people caring about someone else and wanting to be sure that they are fully-informed. People feel it's their duty to inform someone of the facts because, again, thats the point of the forum!

If someone says they are fully-informed, then for the most part what can anyone else say? I don't see the OP being insulted or upset that people offered other choices, in the end it's the buyer's decision and that's it, but at least all sides of the coin can be heard. If nothing else, he should be happy that people are available here to help. Now whether or not people LIKE what people say is another story....but you can't fault anyone else for trying to give their opinion on an open forum!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Statik,

Not everyone is a "Tiffany-hater". Some people want to buy there, some don''t, some people like some of their designs and others don''t. I have an engagement ring from elsewhere and a diamond wedding band from Tiff''s. I love them both. I think some of their things are worth it to me, and others maybe not. It all just depends...

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 2:13:23 PM
Author: StatiK76
DENTALTECH,

I posted into a similar T&C thread a couple of weeks ago. The responses that were flung at me, very closely resemble the responses you have recieved. It''s funny to me that you post a message regarding negotiating a price with T&C .. and the majority of your responses are filled with non-Tiffany options.

Some people here are penny pinchers, some are enthusiasts, some are bargain shoppers, some are just *******s. Either way, you''ll have a hard time posting anything regarding this company without having a dozen monkeys with keyboards flinging their personal anti-Tiffany opinions/options at you. This is not new to this forum; and many of the people that claim to hate these T&C threads are the most active participants in them.

Re: Negotiating with T&C. I tried. Even with a looming 3% ''Mastercard threat'' .. the price was not negotiable. I even attempted the ol'' ''American Express threat'' as well ... same result. Ah well - it was an attempt .. meh - this was never about money .. so who cares! ''i''ll make more''
Geez Statik

The original poster said he was being "gouged for the name"

That in itself sounds pretty negative towards T & C.

So get the knot out of your knickers. Everyone was just trying to be helpful.
12.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
If someone is determined to buy at Tiffany even though he thinks he is being gouged, why bother to post here? Just ask the people at Tiffany if they will negotiate with you. Why ask strangers?

And why continue the posts once he got his answer that it is unlikely that he will be able to negotiate?The people who posted here were sharing their experiences and not telling him what to do since by questioning whether he could negotiate he obviously was looking for a better deal.

Many of us could have bought at Tiffany if we chose to get less for our money. I guess we all wasted our time responding. I assumed that if a person were sharing here, he wanted some input. It never occurrred to me that this would turn into a hostile situation. The person paying for the ring should buy wherever he chooses since his girlfriend wants a Tiffany ring.

I was very upset when my husband and sons surprised me on an anniversary with a diamond necklace from Asprey's because I knew they had overpaid. But that is me. If the majority felt the way I do these elegant stores would go out of business.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 1:24:57 PM
Author: solange

Reena has been so generous with her help and she really tries to investigate things for people she does not even know.
Since she has a fiance, a job, and is no doubt planning a wedding, I hardly think this is her life. She is just a giving person and I appreciate her help.

Thank you, Reena.
Couldn''t have said it better myself, Solange.
1.gif

Some people just like to start trouble.
14.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
For what it's worth on this topic, i agree with Mara et al. The thing with Tiffany's is that you're paying for something that 99% of the time only YOU will enjoy. And if you want this aspect, I can understand purchasing at Tiffany's. Hey--I've bought crap for branding reasons and we all have our "thing."
2.gif

But what I think many forum members are saying in a variety of ways is that you can get the same beautiful ring, and in most cases, style of ring, without the brand mark-up and no one will know. When you buy a Lexus or a Gucci pocketbook or anything whose brand is obvious, you get the benefit of that brand and its status. Also, sometimes a brand will demonstrate proven performance unlike any other, so you pay more for this better product the brand guarantees. With Tiffany diamonds, most people have no idea you have one; thus, you don't realize much from that brand--unless you feel good owning a Tiffany. And hey--that's fine. Also, many people think you can only get a good diamond at Tiffany's (so buying Tiffany = superior quality/performance, so to speak) but that's not the case at all. Regardless, I do think hearing the perspective of not buying at Tiiffany for the above reasons is valuabe consumer knowledge for anyone considering such a purchase.
1.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Another thing is if "it is not about the money" why bother negotiating the price down anyway. Just go in the store, buy it, and be done with it.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I should just drop the subject butI could not resist stating that the kind of clientele who buy at these upscale establishments have no qualms about asking for a discount or negotiation. They know who they are and are not ashamed to ask.

A few years ago, several of the top scale jewelers on Fifth Avenue were caught in a scam where they had inexpensive merchandise shipped to an out-of-town address to save the tax and the customer left with the actual merchandise. They had no qualms about asking for what is,to all intents and purposes, a large discount--and also illegal. The story was on TV and in many newspapers and it involved some very prominent celebrities.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Solange:

I heard about that. Something liked the shipped empty boxes to the address so the client could save the tax.

I know, I know, we should ALL drop it, but I don''t know about you...It is Thursday evening and I am tired and cranky and when I read over..i just get irritated and more cranky.. LOL

Dentaltech

Rough_Rock

Well I must say this was an interesting outcome to a simple question. Some asked if money was not an issue why ask about negotiating. My answer is this, money is always a factor but I know she has her heart set on a T&C ring so getting the most for my money there was what I was after.

With all of this being said I must admit my experience at T&C was exceptional. They treated me with such respect and with the best customer service I have ever received. The ring I choose for my fiance'' is a 1.61 brilliant in F color in the typical Tiffany solitaire setting in plat. Its a absolutely gorgeous ring and she fell in love with it last night when I popped the question.

I know I am new here and I am sorry if I sparked a bunch of negativity, that was never my intention. I do wish to thank all who replied as I know it takes time to read and express ones thoughts.

Thanks again
Dentaltech

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS! Please tell us about the stone if you dont mind . Thats why we are all here we want the details!

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh, congratulations!
36.gif
i''m glad it all worked out in the end. we would all love to see your FI''s ring. please post pictures!
1.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! on your engagement. Negativity or not, it ended happily ever after for you and your beautiful fiancee! T&CO does have beautiful stuff and I am sure she will love it for the rest of her life!!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Best wishes to you and your new fiancee :)

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I''m sure the ring is lovely.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Please post specs on the ring. Happy engagement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results