shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany's Channel Set Round Engagement Ring - Help

fenix

Rough_Rock
okay without a doubt this is the setting I want for my future wife. We went to Tiffany's and she tried it on, and it definitely is the one.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item. ... 4/0/0/2004

However, I really don't want to pay the premium for the brand. The closest similar setting I found at blue nile was:
http://www.bluenile.com/platinum-diamon ... tting_5858 which I do like, but the diamonds go all the way around the band, and its not quite as rounded as the Tiffany's (see the views of it standing up), also 4 prong. She is a size 5. I feel not having the diamonds all the way around makes it easier for resizing for future "changes".

At Tiffany's with a 1.07 H VS1 round, they are asking $13,500 which is insane. (Also there is tax on Tiffanys unless I take a 10 hour drive to Oregon, which I would do to save $1200 in CA tax)
At Bluenile a very similar setup is well under $10,000 which ideally is my limit, although I'll budge because I want that setting for her

I'd greatly appreciate if some of you could help find the same setting as Tiffanys which really is beautiful. With that setting I'd buy a nice 1-1.1 diamond online and have them set together.

Thanks so much

fenix

Rough_Rock
thank you both for the helpful links.

The second one you posted Stone cold is a very nice setting. I didnt like the first one with the "pave" diamonds or whatever that is called. it looks more like diamond crumbs than clean round diamonds like the tiffany setting.

The setting you provided DiamondCat is a very nice replica of the tiffany.

Signature Ideal-cut, H-color, VS1-clarity, Round, 1.07-carat Diamond at blue nile = 7700
Whiteflash setting = 1950 (9650 w/diamond)
Excel diamonds setting = 2450 (10150 w/diamond)
Blue Nile setting = 1450 (9150 w/diamond)
so for a very similar ring to the tiffanys i am saving up to 4500 (including tax). that is incredibly significant

my only concerns are, the matching tiffany channel set wedding ring fit perfectly with the engagement ring. i want that same tight fit with these. i didnt see an easy way to find a matching wedding ring on either site. if you know of one much appreciated

and also, roughly how much does it cost to get the diamond set by someone. and is that a pretty basic thing or do i need an expert of some sorts

thanks again for input, this is a big purchase.

fenix

Rough_Rock
I'm definitely appreciating your help Stone Cold. Seems to be a very comparable and awesome setup for about 10k. Are you able to find the matching channel set wedding ring from WF? I am struggling to find it.

It seems to be a great diamond, however the AGS certificate seems to contain a little less info than the GIA or AGSL, particularly where the inclusions are on the diamond. I like that on blue nile, i can see a picture of the diamond and where the clouds/pinpoints are located, however i imagine on a VS1 diamond, you can't see it anyway.

I definitely like the whiteflash channel setting a lot based on the picture. I definitely wish I could see it in person and have a "model" try it on for me. That was the one thing that provided comfort in the tiffany matching set. I saw it already on my girlfriends hand, saw how they line up, it was perfect. Except the excessive markup. some 3000-4000K+ for the same quality or less.

I suppose I could order it, and if I don't like it on her, then return it and look elsewhere.

I'd love to see if anyone on here has a WF channel set with matching wedding ring with some pictures

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the WF channel set setting is pretty similar but the head is different. I think either one would look great with a band, but both settings will have some gap (you can see this in the pictures on the Tiffany website-it is quite small though!). Perhaps you could get WF to show you what the ring would look like with a matching band? You could also get the setting customized slightly-I am not sure how wide the Tiffany band is-it likely depends on the center stone size-but the WF one is 3.5 mm.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a set on eBay with ring & band at $9.4K; I believe it's a size 4.5 - have you checked out that route vs. a copy?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump :sun:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
fenix said:
I'm definitely appreciating your help Stone Cold. Seems to be a very comparable and awesome setup for about 10k. Are you able to find the matching channel set wedding ring from WF? I am struggling to find it.

It seems to be a great diamond, however the AGS certificate seems to contain a little less info than the GIA or AGSL, particularly where the inclusions are on the diamond. I like that on blue nile, i can see a picture of the diamond and where the clouds/pinpoints are located, however i imagine on a VS1 diamond, you can't see it anyway.

I definitely like the whiteflash channel setting a lot based on the picture. I definitely wish I could see it in person and have a "model" try it on for me. That was the one thing that provided comfort in the tiffany matching set. I saw it already on my girlfriends hand, saw how they line up, it was perfect. Except the excessive markup. some 3000-4000K+ for the same quality or less.

I suppose I could order it, and if I don't like it on her, then return it and look elsewhere.

I'd love to see if anyone on here has a WF channel set with matching wedding ring with some pictures

AGS is AGSL. The clarity grade is based on cloud not shown. At VS1 level, that is probably a very low density cloud that may cover a significant area if ploted, making people doubt that it is a VS1.

This the report as uploaded on AGS.
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104044721004-PLDQR.PDF

fenix

Rough_Rock
Okay it's finally crunch time. No more messing around! I plan to finally buy the ring within two months. I've looked at a lot of sites, been to many stores. Nothing in my opinion compares to the look of the Tiffany Channel Set. This is 100% the ring I want. I really don't want to pay the Tiffany premium but I am leaning slightly in that direction. The bluenile channel setting I just don't like. I've had someone at WF send me a few pictures of a replica setting which was very nice, but they have been unable to send me pictures with a matching band, how it looks on someone's finger etc. We've been to Tiffany's, we've tried both the engagement ring & wedding band on together and its just a perfect look.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Diamond-Accent-Engagement-Rings-12/Tiffany-Channel-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-673-963.html

That definitely looks very nice as an alternative, with a comparable diamond it appears I'd be saving maybe $2k+ going with exceldiamonds compared to Tiffanys. That's significant money, but being able to see the actual ring before buying it of course has it's benefits to me. Also, I know exactly what the wedding band will look like with the Tiffany's one. Very little gap. If anyone has purchased the exceldiamonds channel set replica, please share pictures/reviews!!!

I appreciate any last words of wisdom and help as I'm so anxious to just get this purchase part out of the way so I can enjoy the fun of proposing to her. My budget is $10k, I suppose another $1-2k on top of that isn't going to break me. Tiffanys was nearly $13,500 not including tax but I would consider buying it in a nearby tax-free state. I also have a 0% 15 month financing option, not sure what Tiffanys offers, but the longer I can extend the payments, the more inclined I am to spend a little more than budget.

I wish I could just buy the setting from Tiffanys, and then get the diamond online and get the best of both worlds. As it stands I'm probably about 70% likely to get it at Tiffanys just because I know exactly what it'll look like... and I hate that :angryfire:

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
To the OP:

I understand your frustration and wanting to get this over with. Hey, the Tiffany stuff is beautiful. I was faced with this dilemma a number of years ago. So here are my thoughts. I think the Tiffany stuff is overpriced, you are paying for the name. Let me say again, my opinion, there are people on this forum who have bought Tiffany products and are more than satisfied.
If you just step back a little and do some more homework on this forum and check out other vendors such as Brain Gavin or GOG, for example, you will find you can get what you want, and save money, or for the same money get a bigger stone. Call them up, show them the pic, and they can help you. Hey, if you save $2K you can put that towards the Honeymoon.
Again, PS members, just my opinion on Tiffany, obviously they do a great business and have beautiful stuff. Best of luck.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
The people who have gotten the excel version have even worn it into Tiffany and the sales reps fawn over it and offer to clean and polish it because it looks like their own. They even use the same PT/Ru alloy that Tiffany uses which I've found scratches less than an iridium blend. I would totally save your money. That way you can be assured of getting the best cut diamond as well. At Tiffany you have to select what you are offered. None will be dogs but they aren't super-ideals either.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree 100%. Tiffany does beautiful work, but you are definitely paying top dollar for the name, packaging, high-rent B&Ms, etc. You mentioned earlier that you are in CA--there are loads of independant jewelers here that will do custom work for you. Maybe going to a high-end custom jeweler would be your best bet? Although WF, BN, etc, have nice quality stuff, IMHO, they are more mass-producers. I think a high-end metalsmith could do pretty much the exact setting you are looking for. although it would still be expensive, I believe you would be getting a better value than Tiffany, and, thus, could get a larger center stone, blingier wedding band, nicer honeymoon or whatever you want to do with the savings!!! it's completely your choice--if you are in love with the Tiffany setting and you feel that you won't get exactly what you want elsewhere, go for it! but if you are going to feel burned by that big ol' pricetag, you should exhaust all options before you pony up the money for that superpremium ring. I would hate for you to feel buyers remorse!

fenix

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate the input. This is very helpful. Of course I would love to save as much as possible and get a bigger/better center stone. My main concern is just getting the setting to look exact. It was so pretty on her hand it has to be that exact setting. The excel version is definitely the closest I've seen yet, and would very much consider it. This is a bit overwhelming as it's such a big purchase.

I am fairly new to CA, in Sacramento area so I dont know where to begin as far as finding an offline source other than Tiffanys for that setting. Any advice in that regard would be helpful. I just want to exhale and make this purchase and get on with the next steps of life!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I think at some point, those of us who are faced with the Tiffany dilemma have to decide if we're more obsessed with the stone or the setting. If it's the stone, then go with a PS vendor and accept that the ring will likely be just ever so slightly off from the original.

But if it's the setting, bite the bullet and go with Tiffany.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KittyGolightly|1301434180|2882906 said:
I think at some point, those of us who are faced with the Tiffany dilemma have to decide if we're more obsessed with the stone or the setting. If it's the stone, then go with a PS vendor and accept that the ring will likely be just ever so slightly off from the original.

+1. This is it in a nutshell. I think you'll find that most folks are looking to get the best stone for the money. The setting is what holds the diamond - not the other way around. However, if you are totally set on that setting and nothing else (I still think the Excel setting comes closest) then go for it. The Tiffany ring will be beautiful and you'll apparently have no buyer's remorse down the road.

Best of luck to you - let us know what you decide to do!

yrrp3738

Shiny_Rock
Don't choose Bluenile. I ordered and returned one. The setting is low which is good, but too low. Hard to clean the stone which is half wrapped by the metal.

yrrp3738

Shiny_Rock
If I have the budget, I will buy Tiffany.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
KittyGolightly|1301434180|2882906 said:

I agree. If you both love it and can afford it, there is something to be said of the little blue box.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree with the above posts. A couple thousand more in the long run will not be that much if you really love the Tiffany rings the most. I love Tiffany jewelry because it is very classic, but I am totally ruined after being on PS for so long and want to pick my own diamonds! I do think they have some kind of financing and perhaps that will help!

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Just start by looking at Yelp reviews in your area. It looks like there are quite a few jewelers with great reviews: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=jewelers&ns=1&find_loc=Sacramento%2C+CA

If you are considering driving to Oregon to save on tax, it would be worth spending a few weekends looking around! I'm sure your GF woudn't mind trying on more sparklies either--go to lunch someplace new and make a day of going to a few jewelers! :bigsmile: good luck!!!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
fenix|1301432829|2882890 said:
I really appreciate the input. This is very helpful. Of course I would love to save as much as possible and get a bigger/better center stone. My main concern is just getting the setting to look exact. It was so pretty on her hand it has to be that exact setting. The excel version is definitely the closest I've seen yet, and would very much consider it. This is a bit overwhelming as it's such a big purchase.

I am fairly new to CA, in Sacramento area so I dont know where to begin as far as finding an offline source other than Tiffanys for that setting. Any advice in that regard would be helpful. I just want to exhale and make this purchase and get on with the next steps of life!
If it has to be the exact setting, better get the exact setting.

fenix

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for offering advice and input. This is a great community with nothing but positive feedback and I really appreciate it. I'm struggling with the idea of buying that really nice replica from excel, knowing if there is an issue with sizing I have to ship it back, it looks like that's an additional charge etc. Could take a few weeks to get it as well. I really love the benefit of picking the exact center stone I want at a cheaper price online. I know Tiffanys you can have a big selection to chose from as well, but will I be getting that signature ideal cut that I want? I'm not sure how their cut measures up to blue nile, and the other sites as far as the signature ideal. It just seems like it could be a potential hassle dealing with an online source for this "custom" setting. Does Tiffanys give you any hassle if you need it re sized, etc? This is frustrating the hell out of me and definitely turning what should be an exciting time into a rather stressful one for me. I'm 100% sold on the way the channel setting looked on her finger. I dont want to include her in this process any more by having her try on some other retailers settings as she knows the time is soon and I dont want to take away from the surprise I've got planned as far as when. I know I'll feel confident if I get it from Tiffanys as far as it's going to look great and everything fit well and be convenient if we need it adjusted etc. I won't have buyers remorse about that. But it will bug me a bit that I didn't get the best possible center stone for the price. Anything larger than 1.1 or so looked way too big on her and she agreed looked gaudy. So it's really just a matter of the cut, the clarity, and the color where I can improve on from Tiffanys...

Thanks for letting me vent. I'd love to see pictures if anyone has the excel diamond replica. I saw a few on here who had that Tiffanys channel set, and to me, it's the perfect combo of classy & sparkly!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Two links

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/superbcert-with-tiffany-channel-set-replica.95103/#post-92532?hilit=excel%20tiffany%20channel#p92532']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/superbcert-with-tiffany-channel-set-replica.95103/#post-92532?hilit=excel%20tiffany%20channel#p92532[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-first-superbcert-tiffany-18-kt-yg-channel-set.33740/#post-31771?hilit=excel%20tiffany%20channel#p31771']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-first-superbcert-tiffany-18-kt-yg-channel-set.33740/#post-31771?hilit=excel%20tiffany%20channel#p31771[/URL]

I did a google search and did pull a website that showed some more of the excel channel setting as you scroll down the page. I can't link it, but I'm sure if you "vue" diamonds you will pull up the same page. I just did a search for excel channel set pictures.

Quite frankly, if it's the exact setting you're sold on, only Tiffany will have exactly what you want. If you want an H & A stone, you'll have to buy elsewhere. But if it's the stone issue that's bugging you, why not spend a little and buy an idealscope. Yes, you're supposed to use it for unset stones, but you can still sort of use it to get an idea of the light return. Or will Tiffany not let you do this? Quite frankly, IMO, if you want my damn business, and at that markup, you better let me make sure I can get the best stone I can get. Likely, the salesperson will not know what that thing is you're using anyway...Either way, if you decide to buy a local stone, you can always use the idealscope as a tool to assist you.

edit - hmmm, after looking at the pictures of the excel setting...looks pretty darn close to the real thing...plus, I'm a sucker for being able to get claw prongs, which you can't do at Tiffany...

Good luck!

piggies

Rough_Rock
Hey fenix! You said you won't have remorse buying from Tiffany's, so just get the darn thing already :) And to address your concern about getting a great stone, Tiffany can provide you with all the numbers needed to run by the awesome experts here. They have a pretty huge inventory out there but the annoying thing is that you have to essentially wait in line for the rings to be shipped to your local store. My fiance had a list of 4 or so that he had wanted to see, but only two were still available by the time it was his turn to see the rings.

fenix

Rough_Rock
I've got to admit that exceldiamonds replica really looks the same. Stunning pictures thanks. That is definitely the ring/setting.. Going to call them up and ask some questions regarding having to have it resized etc. How long it will take them to get it to me... going to give Tiffanys another visit and see the stats on some diamonds and then decide on Tiffanys or Excel it looks like. I'm caught in the middle of the convenience of a brand like Tiffanys local where I can get adjustments easy, etc. & the better value of a replica setting and the ability to get a top notch center stone for much cheaper.

I need it by June 1st. Can't wait! Definitely will keep in contact with this thread and I appreciate everyone's thoughtful insight.

EDIT: I just read something about a Superbcert diamond, what's that all about? I really want a stunning round center stone. I thought the bluenile signature ideal cut meant that's top rate. Now i'm seeing a lot of other different ideal cut types? Hearts & Arrows? confused

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
those excel rings are dead ringers for the Tiffany setting!!! good luck with your decision making--and RELAX! you are going to end up with the perfect ring no matter what your choice is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results