shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany silver tarnishing more easily?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I only own 1 tiffany piece, a silver double heart necklace and I feel like it always looks so dull/dark. I have own lots of silver necklaces in the past from chain jewellery stores and have never had this issue. It's pretty dissapointing given Tiffany's prices, has anyone else experienced this?

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I bought a sterling silver Tiffany open heart bracelet for my daughter and it also tarnished - to my disappointment. I have a Goldoni ring and it looks new - like the day I bought it - no tarnish at all. The ring has a nice weight to it - maybe the alloy mix is different? I should visit the Tiffany store - maybe they can polish the bracelet.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I bought a sterling silver Tiffany open heart bracelet for my daughter and it also tarnished - to my disappointment. I have a Goldoni ring and it looks new - like the day I bought it - no tarnish at all. The ring has a nice weight to it - maybe the alloy mix is different? I should visit the Tiffany store - maybe they can polish the bracelet.

Sterling silver will always tarnish in time. Depending on your climate, it could tarnish really fast. My mother lives in Florida, and her sterling jewelry oxidizes quickly.

Many times, sterling silver is plated with rhodium, which gives it a super white shine and makes it tarnish proof. Personally, I dislike rhodium plating.
I'm assuming that the Tiffany pieces must be unplated, which is a good thing IMHO.
Just polish your pieces with a silver polishing cloth. After polishing, store them in small plastic bags in between wearings to keep the tarnish away.

Last edited:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock

Yes my other silver items are so much brighter and shinier, even some that are over 10 years old, what a shame :(

Sterling silver will always tarnish in time. Depending on your climate, it could tarnish really fast. My mother lives in Florida, and her sterling jewelry oxidizes quickly.

Many times, sterling silver is plated with rhodium, which gives it a super white shine and makes it tarnish proof. Personally, I dislike rhodium plating.
I'm assuming that the Tiffany pieces must be unplated, which is a good thing IMHO.
Just polish your pieces with a silver polishing cloth. After polishing, store them in small plastic bags in between wearings to keep the tarnish away.

Thank you, I didnt know about rhodium plating for silver. My necklace is so tiny and fine that even with a polishing cloth it just doesnt look sparkly or shiny at all. I might need to buy some silver cleaning solution? Right now I store it in the little tiffany blue pouch, I will try a plastic bag and see if that helps :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know next to nothing about anything but i have a stirling silver pearl brooch of my grandma's (not Tiffiny) dating from probably the '30's
i thought it must have been costume till i got my loup out because it was so shinny after all these years especially just discarded in a box and unworn for the last 40 years

i guess its differnt alloys they used in those days
makes me angry to think they stopped doing this

i have a rhodium platted silver ring
id much rather just clean than have to take it in and fork out to get it replated

i almost think its a ploy

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes my other silver items are so much brighter and shinier, even some that are over 10 years old, what a shame :(

Thank you, I didnt know about rhodium plating for silver. My necklace is so tiny and fine that even with a polishing cloth it just doesnt look sparkly or shiny at all. I might need to buy some silver cleaning solution? Right now I store it in the little tiffany blue pouch, I will try a plastic bag and see if that helps :)

i have a rope necklace that is really hard to polish
i took it into the jewler for polishing with a few other repairs
i think they put it in an ultrasonic cleaner to polish off the tarnish

i now keep it rolled it up in a silver cloth

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
i know next to nothing about anything but i have a stirling silver pearl brooch of my grandma's (not Tiffiny) dating from probably the '30's
i thought it must have been costume till i got my loup out because it was so shinny after all these years especially just discarded in a box and unworn for the last 40 years

i guess its differnt alloys they used in those days
makes me angry to think they stopped doing this

i have a rhodium platted silver ring
id much rather just clean than have to take it in and fork out to get it replated

i almost think its a ploy

Very interesting, I really didnt realise that there could be such variation between different silvers. I don't think I will be getting anymore silver items from Tiffany, I am really not impressed with the quality, which is a shame because the little hearts are so cute.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silver tarnishes… Unless it’s plated or worn regularly… It’s not a quality issue, it’s a material property issue…

By all means don’t buy silver if you don’t care for it. I don’t care for silver either. But fact remains that that’s just the way silver behaves, certainly not a problem with Tiffany’s quality!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Silver tarnishes… Unless it’s plated or worn regularly… It’s not a quality issue, it’s a material property issue…

By all means don’t buy silver if you don’t care for it. I don’t care for silver either. But fact remains that that’s just the way silver behaves, certainly not a problem with Tiffany’s quality!

Sorry I should have specified it is not just the tarnishing that I am unhappy with. Even when brand new the chain itself was very dull and had no sparkle at all. I own other neckalces of the same thickness in different metals and this one by far is the worst I have owned. Plus one of the hearts already has a pretty bad scuff on it. Definitly not worth the inflated Tiffany price.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I should have specified it is not just the tarnishing that I am unhappy with. Even when brand new the chain itself was very dull and had no sparkle at all. I own other neckalces of the same thickness in different metals and this one by far is the worst I have owned. Plus one of the hearts already has a pretty bad scuff on it. Definitly not worth the inflated Tiffany price.

If you purchased recently perhaps you could return or exchange - worth enquiring? New items definitely shouldn’t be tarnished or scratched.

Did you buy in store or online?

For any silver that’s tarnished - Wright’s silver cream, about $5 USD for a tub that will last you five years. One or two swipes and all tarnish (on silver or alloyed gold) is gone.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
If you purchased recently perhaps you could return or exchange - worth enquiring? New items definitely shouldn’t be tarnished or scratched.

Did you buy in store or online?

For any silver that’s tarnished - Wright’s silver cream, about $5 USD for a tub that will last you five years. One or two swipes and all tarnish (on silver or alloyed gold) is gone.

Thank you I will give that a try! I got it a few months ago so probably wont be able to return it. It's ok I am greatful to have a Tiffany piece as I have always wanted one, maybe my expectations were just a bit out of whack.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you I will give that a try! I got it a few months ago so probably wont be able to return it. It's ok I am greatful to have a Tiffany piece as I have always wanted one, maybe my expectations were just a bit out of whack.

the only thing i know about Tiffiny's is the movie :lol-2:
but disappointment i understand :(2
especially if its a quality issue

silver does like to be worn, i wear a cuff 24/7 and its always shinny, its not rhodium plated
but it does not like bleach so i take it off when cleaning (the loo - lucky me :lol-2: ) at work or it instantly tarnishes

but when i do take the time to polish it the shine can be seen from space :kiss2:
so much so the other half notices o_O

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
the only thing i know about Tiffiny's is the movie :lol-2:
but disappointment i understand :(2
especially if its a quality issue

silver does like to be worn, i wear a cuff 24/7 and its always shinny, its not rhodium plated
but it does not like bleach so i take it off when cleaning (the loo - lucky me :lol-2: ) at work or it instantly tarnishes

but when i do take the time to polish it the shine can be seen from space :kiss2:
so much so the other half notices o_O

Thank you I am going to try wearing it more often and see if that helps!

Haha your comment about cleaning the loo reminding me of my little 4 year old daughter the other day. I was cleaning the toilet and she looked at me and said "Mama I cant wait to grow up and be a princess so that I can clean the toilet too" :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you I am going to try wearing it more often and see if that helps!

Haha your comment about cleaning the loo reminding me of my little 4 year old daughter the other day. I was cleaning the toilet and she looked at me and said "Mama I cant wait to grow up and be a princess so that I can clean the toilet too" :lol:

oh you have to write that down so you remember to tell her when she goes flatting for the first time

i don't mind doing it at work - :lol-2: i mean you don't get paid for cleaning at home and we are all ladies at my work
also at our bakehouse i have seen our owner clean the loo - oh i used to love working there on a Friday - the bakers (as in men/ boys) would all be cleaning up after the night baking by the time i started my day behind the counter and they would all be hard out cleaning
- like litterly scrubbing Cinderalla style on hands and knees
i could watch that all day :kiss2:

back to silver
a lot of peeps around these here PS parts like silver to have a petena (excuse spelling)
i had a thread a while back with my braclete cuff because it tarnished instantly when it came in contact with the bleech at work - the last thing we do everynight is soak the dishhcloths (cheesecloths) and dish scrubbing brush in a little bucket of hot water with a generous slug of bleech and a squirt of dish washing liquid
anyway one of the chapies - i just forget which one - but a regular poster commented one doesn't want silver jewlery to look bright like tin:lol-2:
well i almost feel of my chair laughing because that's exactly how i like mine !

anyway enjoy your Tiffiny piece
perhaps wearing it for a week or two will help you make friends with it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only own 1 tiffany piece, a silver double heart necklace and I feel like it always looks so dull/dark. I have own lots of silver necklaces in the past from chain jewellery stores and have never had this issue. It's pretty dissapointing given Tiffany's prices, has anyone else experienced this?

when you have time can we see a pictute please
we dont have Tiffany in my country (but the movie was my mum's favourite)

Kya

Shiny_Rock
My daughter has the double heart necklace and I know exactly what you mean!
After having the classic heart bracelet for years , I wanted to purchase something for my daughter that she can wear and hold on to. She chose the double heart necklace and the design is gorgeous. However it tarnishes super often whereas my bracelet barely did. (Both stored in Tiffany pouch). Also, the chain is lackluster. Pretty disappointing….

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results