shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Setting Ring - Exact Measurements & Specifications

maddyb

Rough_Rock
Hey guys!

I've seen this asked before but the answers always seem to vary. Hoping to get a firm idea of the below.... :think:

I love the Tiffany Setting but I don't love Tiffany prices. I've purchased a 2.01 ct H SI1 GIA XXX diamond and am picking it up this weekend. My boyfriend and I have been meeting with a few custom jewelers who will be making my setting via CAD - I've requested the ring to be made to the exact specifications of the Tiffany Setting and have provided pictures of many different angles.

When we went to Tiffany, they mentioned it was a 2mm knife edge band, but to me the band didn't seem as 'sharp' as other knife edges I've seen. That, and other nuances, makes me worried that I might be missing some key details. The sketches from the 'desconstructing the Tiffany Setting' video also seem helpful, but no measurements.

Can anyone provide exact specs & measurements of this ring (in a way that I can communicate well to the custom jeweler, that might not be fully captured in an image rendering). He will be working off of pictures (and knowledge) as he is well-reputed, but knowing the exact specs and being able to provide them will give me peace of mind. For example, I know under the crown there is also a hole to allow light but I cannot find a picture to send to him of this.

I've seen the whiteflash, and other replicas, but I'm getting this one done custom and want it as exact as possible.

Looking forward to your responses!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Tiffany Setting Ring - Exact Measurements & Specificatio

I would just get the Vatche U113 replica. It's the closest match I've ever seen and you don't have to worry about a custom piece gone wrong.

grateful4life

Shiny_Rock

liaerfbv|1459871066|4015692 said:
I would just get the Vatche U113 replica. It's the closest match I've ever seen and you don't have to worry about a custom piece gone wrong.

I agree :)

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

I think the Vatché U113 is about as close as you are going to get. I also like Caysie van Bebber's Jovyn setting, but it shows claw prongs rather than tab prongs, and Tiffany uses tab prongs.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No one can or will make an exact Tiffany replica as there are laws that prevent them from doing this. There are several reproductions that are very close and the Vatche is one of those.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

For the Vatche one that you are referring to, would the proportions be the same as the Tiffany one for a 2 ct? Does anyone know the exact band width for a 2 ct?

And if I already have the diamond, how would I go about having it set - are there Vatche dealers in Toronto that anyone can recommend? Appx. how long does this take? I do like this setting and if I can make it work I agree it would be less stress than waiting to see how a custom turns out.

Last, I've seen a few references to this setting, however people are mentioning specifics of what metals (i.e. 90 plat/10 irid) and I have no idea how to choose what would be best (do I even get to choose?) --- can anyone chime in on this? I've always been stuck between white gold and platinum but I didn't know that there was actually a choice regarding proportions of what metals are in the ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

maddyb|1459893955|4015877 said:
For the Vatche one that you are referring to, would the proportions be the same as the Tiffany one for a 2 ct? Does anyone know the exact band width for a 2 ct?

And if I already have the diamond, how would I go about having it set in this exact setting?

Vatche is sold at jewelers all over the US. If there is not one near you, there are Pricescope vendors who sell Vatche settings. You'd have to send your diamond to them and then they would have Vatche set your stone.

I have a 2.3 ct stone in the Vatche U-113 and it has been mistaken for the real Tiffany setting when I have visited Tiffany's. I do have the real Legacy wedding band. I will say that I think the Vatche shank is 2mm and the real Tiffany may be just slightly over that, but in actuality, I like the Vatche setting better!

I think ID Jewelry in NYC has good prices on the Vatche U-113 if you can't find a local jeweler. But be certain they are sending the stone to Vatche to be set so your prongs will be done like Tiffany does them. In addition, request the harder alloy of 95%platinum/5% ruthenium like Tiffany uses. That is the only modification you need to tell them.

http://dvatche.com/index.php?page=retailers

maddyb

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the detail! I will be sure to request that.

Before I saw this I called white flash, who mentioned they set the rings in house (I don't think they said the rings were sent to vatche). They said they can send the setting to Toronto and I can have it set here so i do not need to mail my diamond. Is this a worthwhile option or will the prongs be set differently than Tiffany? (The lady I spoke to said it would be the same to have it sent over and set once I receive it.)

Can I request the 95% platinum 5% ruthenium to white flash, or will this need to be done directly with vatche? And how does this change the metal?? More scratch resistant/more shine?

Thanks!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I would find a jeweler local to you who can order the Vatche. There's no need to mail the stone anywhere if you don't have to. You can search for a Vatche dealer in your area and ask them for pictures of how they've set the u113. Make sure you tell them you want to see pictures of the tab prongs they've done (which is what Tiffany does). You would tell them the metal mix you want and they would order it from Vatche. The 95/5 ruthenium mix is a little more scratch resistant in my experience.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

I'm having trouble finding a Vatche dealer in Toronto, waiting for a call back from be Company to confirm.
Anyone know a place in the GTA that can get Vatche or would have experience setting it? I don't want to go down the route of mailing my diamond out.

I can order the setting from white flash or excel diamonds, but would have to find a jeweler to set it properly. I'd prefer someone with experience with this specific setting.

any ideas anyone in the Toronto/GTA area with regards to an authorized Vatche dealer or experienced diamond setter?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ID Jewelry in NYC is a vatche dealer. You could make a vacation of it where you get your diamond set by IDJ...

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock

I seem to recall way back when when I was looking at possibly getting a Vatche setting, there were NO Vatche dealers anywhere in Canada. I am in Alberta, but I looked all over Canada as it is easier to ship and receive things in Canada than across borders. No dice. I would either send your diamond to WF or another vendor in the U.S. (taking the necessary precautions for insurance, shipping) for them to set it, or find a qualified jeweler to set it in TO being very particular about how you want the prongs (bring lots of photos). Or as PintoBean suggested, make a weekend trip out of it (obviously arranging with the intended vendor in advance!) :)

I do think going with the Vatche setting will work out better for you in terms of similarity to the Tiffany setting than going custom, honestly, as there is a lot less steps for things to go wrong/not be quite right.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you don't want to pay close to $2K for a solitaire setting, I would go with Caysie van Bebber (CvB). She can modify the Jovyn to look exactly like T&Co's setting for way less. I'm having her do my Tiff repro when the time comes. Her work is impeccable.

maddyb

Rough_Rock

I got in touch with Vatche today in New York and they mentioned they did have an authorized dealer in Toronto now, Mark Lash jewelery.... Which is super close to me and also a nice place. HOWEVER, I called both their locations and they had noooooooo idea what a Vatche setting was with two people promising to look into it and call me back (one of which did and is trying to help, but is truly not familiar with it)

Excel and Whiteflash were both way more helpful, so unless Mark Lash calls me back with a better price before I leave work today, I'm just going to send the wire transfer to Excel Diamonds and have it sent from the states as Barry has been very helpful.

If the setting has a 'Canada mark up' above what I would be paying from the US, it makes more sense to order from the US anyway because it doesn't seem like this place would even be so familiar with how to set the ring over any other skilled Toronto jeweler.... I might be better off ordering it and finding a well-reputed jeweler and bringing them the stone and picture of how I want to have it set.

The person helping me on the phone at Vatche mentioned to specify how high I wanted the stone set, as they do a Tiffany-like height.

Also funny that they said turnaround was 3 weeks, and I asked for a rush and now it is 8 business days :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results