shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany sells SI1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Yep, I had no idea...perhaps you may have. I was there today (getting some pretty new studs) and purchased 1/2cttw G, SI1 earrings. I spoke with my SA and she explained it was to help people get "larger stones" of still "good quality". They are not using SI1s for e-ring though.

Just an update...that and my local store is raising prices again within the week.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
oh wow nice to know. My FF just asked me today about their studs because Ive been wanting some studs/he''s been thinking about getting me some and he asked if they were super expensive, and the only ones Id seen there were like VVS1..and I thought that was a tad to high of clarity for my ears! :) yay.. going to have to go back into tiffanys to look! :)

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I agree, it is nice to be able to buy a bit larger and who cares too much about clarity for the earrings. However, I was surprised. Tiffany is starting to sell considerably less quality gems than other luxury retailers...they are reaching out to more consumers this way...

I would have bought the slightly smaller size .31cttw that were "G" "Vs2" but they looked a bit smaller...and I figured they are only on my ears.

I would go look at them soon, I was told about the price raise, that should happen very soon at all stores (I believe!). I was told the economy was to blame.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 12:33:56 AM
Author:UCLABelle
Yep, I had no idea...perhaps you may have. I was there today (getting some pretty new studs) and purchased 1/2cttw G, SI1 earrings. I spoke with my SA and she explained it was to help people get ''larger stones'' of still ''good quality''. They are not using SI1s for e-ring though.

Just an update...that and my local store is raising prices again within the week.
Guess that happens when it gets difficult to source a mass of ONLY VS2 and higher quality Diamonds...
After all..., Tiffany need to keep their shareholders happy and on board!
31.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had heard that awhile ago that they were selling SI1''s for other jewelry besides erings. Wonder if they are all eyeclean...
2.gif

lakai

Rough_Rock
They sell SI1 for erings too. Can''t tell if they are eyeclean although I haven''t asked to look at a SI1. The lighting in the ering area is so dark its hard to tell anything.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 12:14:48 PM
Author: lakai
They sell SI1 for erings too. Can''t tell if they are eyeclean although I haven''t asked to look at a SI1. The lighting in the ering area is so dark its hard to tell anything.

Since when? I have been told a few times they don''t and their brochures for erings say they only do VS2. Is this a brand new thing?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Well, with my small studs they appear eyeclean :) In all fairness, under my loupe they look good.

I was told by my SA that T&CO DOES NOT SELL SI1s in E-Rings. It is still VS2 or above. I just called another store NYC to check too....and they also said they do not sell SI1s in e-rings.

tiffanyornot

Rough_Rock
No, VS2 and up, I color and up. Where did you get this information?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 11:40:59 AM
Author: DiaGem

Yep, I had no idea...perhaps you may have. I was there today (getting some pretty new studs) and purchased 1/2cttw G, SI1 earrings. I spoke with my SA and she explained it was to help people get ''larger stones'' of still ''good quality''. They are not using SI1s for e-ring though.

Guess that happens when it gets difficult to source a mass of ONLY VS2 and higher quality Diamonds...
31.gif
Oh my gosh, that makes complete sense!!

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
they dont sell SI1.. my FF just bought my ring and the lady told us the lowest clarity was VS2 :)

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
When I was looking for diamond studs, I went to Tiffany's too. And yes, they do sell SI1s, even in Singapore.

The price quote I got was SGD22,000 for a pair of 1.5tcw, F, SI1s.
I remember they were not triple excellent though. Like VG/VG/G and VG/VG/VG. I asked to look at the cut grade, the store assistant kept insisting it was F, round brilliant cut!
31.gif
When they finally understood me, they printed out their inhouse diamond report.
But to their credit, under their store lighting the babies were on fire!!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

31.gif
I believe that Costco also claims that their diamonds are VS 2 and above.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 9:07:06 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

31.gif
I believe that Costco also claims that their diamonds are VS 2 and above.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

True, but Costco uses IGI certs, and they''re notorious for being soft graders, so I''m sure Costco has a bunch of SI1s and SI2s sitting around. Same with color; they claim I or better, but I''m sure this could mean J-K with an IGI cert.

That said, I don''t want to knock Costco at all; I''ve been told the cut quality of Costco diamonds is actually similar to Tiffany diamonds. I''ve seen some very nice stones there and actually bought my first e-ring at Costco (we took it back and got one custom made by WF).

OK, sorry for the threadjack...back to the Tiff topic!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Looks like there is wide disagreement on this issue...I know that Tiffany has carried SI1-G quality diamonds in their earrings and solitaire pendants.A few years ago I saw a pair of studs on their web site that Identified the clairity and color of the studs as SI1-G...Ive been in the stores and talked to store associates about this issue.The grading on diamonds is an educated and subjective opinion. So grading between a VS2-SI1 can be a fine line sometimes and there can be some nice SI1s that in many instances could be graded as VS2 by another grader.It is also interesting that there is differing information given to the people on this thread by store associates...showing that even Tiffany & Co.( like other retail jewelers)has a problem with inconsistant information being given to clients about the company and product knowledge.

homechef

Rough_Rock
glad no e-rings in the "S" category!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 5:37:06 AM
Author: homechef
glad no e-rings in the ''S'' category!
36.gif
Why are you glad? There is nothing wrong with the ''S'' catagory if they are eyeclean
1.gif

journey1

Rough_Rock
Costco states the IGI value on it''s website because it''s usually higher (so you think you''re getting a better deal)- but- they do have a GIA report to go along with every diamond they sell. If you email them, they will send it to you.
Hope that helps

lakai

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 12:25:55 PM
Author: neatfreak

Since when? I have been told a few times they don''t and their brochures for erings say they only do VS2. Is this a brand new thing?

I was at the TNCO at South Coast Plaza last month an when we were looking at a ring, I asked the lady what was the quality of the stone and she looked and said 2.3ct G SI1.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results