shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Ring settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BearMan

Shiny_Rock
or I should say Tiffany "LIKE" Ring settings...

any recommedations as to where i should start my search....I have a rough idea of what i am looking for but have had ZERO luck finding it....

3mm white gold or plat
higher setting
filed prongs
square prongs

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
well this is for a Squareish stone, everyone seems to agree that there is credence in the rumor that Vatche produces the bands for Tiffany's Lucida. Try this Vatche webpage

Here is the X-prong setting setting X- prong by Vatche

Alos search the site for threads on the Tiffany's settings. Lor knows that's been discussed so frequently here!
Vatche vs Tiffany's

BearMan

Shiny_Rock
well the setting is going to be for an asscher style stone....i dont like the xpronge at all

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Which TIffany's setting were you thinking of. I believe the round four prong tiffany setting may be for rounds only. Any pictures from Tiffany's so we can help?

BearMan

Shiny_Rock
No pics

I was at the "MALL" on one of my 1st learning excursions and just wanted to look at diamonds to try to familiarize myself with them a bit....

i was at ZALES and it was a princess cut diamond in what the sales rep said was a tiffany style setting ....to my recolection it had a V PRONGE Style and the prongs were flat or square and the setting was a HIGHER setting i forget the exact term she used.

and the pronges were filed down which i really liked.

BearMan

Shiny_Rock
does anyone have any advice or is there additional info i need to get on the setting i saw?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...well the V-prong setting for a princess can have V caps that sort of cap over the corners of a princess stone. I don't think that V-caps are filed down flat on top of the stone. (At least mine aren't). Usually if someone says "tiffany-style" setting, people think of a six prong for a round. The only thing I can think of (as for the stone being a high setting) is that it might be a cathedral setting... Actually cathedral or contour settings CAN be high, depending on the size of the stone or if the prongs are a higher style.

Are you saying that the prongs were in the shape of a V if you are looking at the side of the ring? If so, then it might be a peg-head V-prong setting in a cathedral mount. Most jewelers will have this style of ring (cathedral). Hope that helps you...

BearMan

Shiny_Rock
sparklies

thanks for the info...I am out hitting the diamond trail today so i am printing your info and taking it with me...wish me luck.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
OK! Good luck to you! Let us know how you make out.
1.gif

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
"everyone seems to agree that there is credence in the rumor that Vatche produces the bands for Tiffany's Lucida."

i am not trying to instigate, but i just wanted to clarify what seems to be a misconception. My GF and I checked out both the Lucida and Vatche. They are NOT SAME. Even if Vatche DOES make the settings for Tiff but slightly different on their own branded settings, the quality of the end product with the mounted stone can vary widely depending on who is setting the stone. I've seen a vatche with prongs sticking up 3 mm over the diamond... YUK! Beautiful stone... but subpar presentation IMO. If you want to duplicate the look of a Lucida, make sure you know the reputation and skill of the setter.

I wasn't so successful in finding a "Tiffany like" ring.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Dear TKim,

Thanks for your view on the bads! I went on that misconception because I have never seen the bands side by side, nor have I seen the Vatche setting in person. But never-the-less, I believed it!

Thanks for clarifying, and if you know of any such good setter, PLEASE let us know. I may be getting to the setting search soon...so any help in the NYC area whould be appreciated!

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
Dear Nicrez,

No problem. Unfortunately I was not happy with setting qualities i found in Los Angeles. I hope somebody can refer you to an excellent craftsman in NY. This is beyond the overdone debate over Tiffany Vs. Tiffany inspired.
I just bought a Lucida yesterday... and yes, it hurt cuz I could have gotten a 'better diamond' for the same dough. My GF was more than willing to take a generic, as long as it looked like the Lucida(which she absolutely is in love with second to me). But having inspected other settings, I realized they weren't the same. If you're a diamond lover, the Lucida may not be worth the premium, but if you love the original design and craftmanship of the diamond cut and custom setting, it maybe worth it. I am sure some of us have purchased those silver earings from Tiffany that is 5 times what other silver earings cost. For the same reason(and to see my girlfriend shiver and well-up in tears), the Lucida(as a whole) was worth it.

BTW, yes I've done tons of research. In the end, its what makes her happy.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Well, I am going for the Lucida-like ring, but I didn't even realize it until I went on the Tiffany's site and saw it.

Sidebar: Just recently on Tiffany's site. If anyone noticed, they took off all the pictures of the bands in my belief that they want to keep their pictures more confidential, and have you see them in person.

Hey, I have at least 6 jewelry pieces from them. They are great, but for our e-ring, I just couldn't let him do it. (I am a dog
11.gif
, and wanted color and size too, and the poor guy would be on bread and water with MY taste! )

Don't get me wrong, I ADORE TIffany's style, I just need a viable alternative that looks clean, crisp, well-done and crafted with detail and care...
9.gif

Does that exist outside of Tiffany's??
confused.gif

Obsessed

Shiny_Rock
If I was to chose an alternative to Tiffany's, I'd rather get a ring that has its own original design. And I am sure there are plenty of well crafted rings with beautiful diamonds that are better value than Tiffany's. If you like the Lucida, which has a setting custom made for the unique cut, there is no alternative. Depending on your budget, it may be viable for you to go for the design you love by compromising color and clarity a bit. As for me, I could have purchased a 1carat, E , IF to VVS1 diamond if I didn't go for the Lucida. My GF said it herself that she wasn't gonna go around proclaiming those figures like a stock broker quoting P/E ratios. There wasn't much visible difference between the aformentioned stone and the 1.07ct, G, VVS2 Lucida that I ended up purchasing. My girlfriend is more impressed with the setting and the overall quality of the final product rather than how sparkly it is. Even the I, VS2 stones looked plenty nice. The sales lady advised us to look at the rings in the sunlight so they aren't all that secretive about the quality of their stones. I don't know what your budget is, but a 1 carat I, VS2 Lucida can be had for less than 10K.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results