shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Ring Repair Question

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I just dropped off my ering at Tiffany's to be sent in for some repairs (or restoration work, as the SA put it).
My ering is a Tiffany ornate Legacy in platinum which we purchased 2nd hand a few months ago. It was originally purchased in 2004 and while it looks to be in good condition, I know it needs some work. There's a tiny prong missing on a sidestone, as well as a few others that likely need to be reworked and tightened. The ring has a lot of pave diamonds, so there could be more than a few prong issues..... I think the center stone bezel may need a little tightening as well.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had some platinum tightening and prong repair done through Tiffany's and how much it ended up running. It's going to be a couple weeks before they get me the estimate. I feel like perhaps I need to be prepared for sticker shock on the repair costs. Does Tiffany's charge the luxury premium for their repairs compared to a local jeweler?
20180910_194125.jpg

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
I just dropped off my ering at Tiffany's to be sent in for some repairs (or restoration work, as the SA put it).
My ering is a Tiffany ornate Legacy in platinum which we purchased 2nd hand a few months ago. It was originally purchased in 2004 and while it looks to be in good condition, I know it needs some work. There's a tiny prong missing on a sidestone, as well as a few others that likely need to be reworked and tightened. The ring has a lot of pave diamonds, so there could be more than a few prong issues..... I think the center stone bezel may need a little tightening as well.
I'm just wondering if anyone has had some platinum tightening and prong repair done through Tiffany's and how much it ended up running. It's going to be a couple weeks before they get me the estimate. I feel like perhaps I need to be prepared for sticker shock on the repair costs. Does Tiffany's charge the luxury premium for their repairs compared to a local jeweler?
20180910_194125.jpg
Be prepared. To go up 2 sizes, on their platinum solitaire, think it was $400 several years ago. Perfection though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:o.. My RH gf is still alive? :lol: nice to hear from you again. :wavey:

ecc1996

Rough_Rock
I don't have advice regarding ring repair pricing, but I did get a necklace chain repaired there and can say that they definitely charge more than your average jeweler would charge. When I looked online to see typical pricing for just soldering a single link, I saw quotes around $20-30 but Tiffany charged me $70. However, I think they're definitely the most trustworthy to do the repairs and you should be confident they'll do an excellent job. They not only repaired my chain but polished and cleaned the whole piece for me, so although the cost might be higher, you know they're putting in a lot of care and effort. I hope this is a little bit helpful and that your ring restoration costs are reasonable!

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
20180910_194125.jpg
Did Tiffany give you any hassle about doing work on the ring because you bought it second hand? I’m wondering because I’m considering purchasing a second hand Tiffany ring, but I’ve read mixed reviews from other people who have done the same about how they were treated when they went to have work done. Gorgeous ring by the way!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I don't know about their repair costs but because the ring is rather ornate, I would much prefer them to do the work even if the cost is higher.
That was my thinking, too. It was a significant investment, so I do want things done to Tiffany standards.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Be prepared. To go up 2 sizes, on their platinum solitaire, think it was $400 several years ago. Perfection though.
Wow! That does seem hefty for just a solitaire. I'm glad you were happy with their work, though. That's my hope is that it comes back as perfect as can be. Thanks for sharing.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I don't have advice regarding ring repair pricing, but I did get a necklace chain repaired there and can say that they definitely charge more than your average jeweler would charge. When I looked online to see typical pricing for just soldering a single link, I saw quotes around $20-30 but Tiffany charged me $70. However, I think they're definitely the most trustworthy to do the repairs and you should be confident they'll do an excellent job. They not only repaired my chain but polished and cleaned the whole piece for me, so although the cost might be higher, you know they're putting in a lot of care and effort. I hope this is a little bit helpful and that your ring restoration costs are reasonable!
Interesting! Thanks for the input! I had toyed with having a trusted local jewler fix the broken prong, but then after hearing that a number of prongs needed work, I decided it best to go back to Tiffanys. Like you said, hopefully they put a great deal of care into the work to justify the higher cost.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Did Tiffany give you any hassle about doing work on the ring because you bought it second hand? I’m wondering because I’m considering purchasing a second hand Tiffany ring, but I’ve read mixed reviews from other people who have done the same about how they were treated when they went to have work done. Gorgeous ring by the way!
No hassle at all, Pimberly! The lady I worked with didn't seem to care. She did put on the work invoice that it was a third party purchaser, which I thought was interesting. I've read older reviews that sound like they do some minor repairs at no charge for the original owner at times. Perhaps they treat higher end pieces differently in that regard?

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
No hassle at all, Pimberly! The lady I worked with didn't seem to care. She did put on the work invoice that it was a third party purchaser, which I thought was interesting. I've read older reviews that sound like they do some minor repairs at no charge for the original owner at times. Perhaps they treat higher end pieces differently in that regard?
That’s great to hear! Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results