shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany preowned bruted girdle

jujubenut

Rough_Rock
Hi All! I’m looking at a preowned Tiffany 1.3ct G VVS2 round solitaire but it has a bruted girdle… Really needing your opinion and expertise on this. I’m confused as to why Tiffany would still have a bruted girdle when this ring was only sold a few years ago.

IMG_1159.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the diamond engraved with "tiffany"?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you seen the Tiffany grading report for the stone?

jujubenut

Rough_Rock
Have you seen the Tiffany grading report for the stone?
IMG_1271.jpeg Yes here is the report. I ran it through the HCA and it got a score of 3.5.

IMG_1267.png

jujubenut

Rough_Rock
Is the diamond engraved with "tiffany"?

Yes from what I can see, it has all the hallmarks on the band and also the inscription on the crown.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes from what I can see, it has all the hallmarks on the band and also the inscription on the crown.

In that case I wouldn't be worried about authenticity at all. However, I personally wouldn't be happy with the cut of that stone

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @jujubenut! I have a Tiffany Harmony e-ring with a diamond that has a bruted girdle. We bought the ring directly from Tiffany & Co. in January 2021. The diamond is beautiful and has an HCA score of 1.5; I have no qualms about the bruted girdle.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn’t the bruted girdle being such a concern as much as it is the overall cut of the diamond. I would pass on this one.

jujubenut

Rough_Rock
It isn’t the bruted girdle being such a concern as much as it is the overall cut of the diamond. I would pass on this one.

I really appreciate your feedback! It’s my first time purchasing such an expensive jewelry. I thought the triple excellent along with the color/clarity made it an overall good diamond.

jujubenut

Rough_Rock
Hi, @jujubenut! I have a Tiffany Harmony e-ring with a diamond that has a bruted girdle. We bought the ring directly from Tiffany & Co. in January 2021. The diamond is beautiful and has an HCA score of 1.5; I have no qualms about the bruted girdle.

Thank you for sharing cause it’s been so hard for me to find other Tiffany diamonds with bruted girdle! I’ll have to keep looking then since this one has HCA 3.5!

jujubenut

Rough_Rock
In that case I wouldn't be worried about authenticity at all. However, I personally wouldn't be happy with the cut of that stone

Thanks! I was not sure how I felt about it overall and really needed another input!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please trust the HCA score as a primary point of rejection not acceptance. HCA tells a lot and it’s the first step of evaluation.

Speaking from someone whose original E ring had a poorly cut diamond, then I actually saw a SuperIdeal cut, there is a huge difference.

Light return is made by these technical specifications of CUT.

PS can help you evaluate your next choices so you can pick a diamond with great light return. I’m glad you are getting the help you need to make a good choice.

PS the bruted girdle does have some technical impacts I’ve been told but it is not indicative of a badly cut stone only a technique used by the cutter to impact the way the diamond looks/internal reflections are sometimes impacted (you can search on PS for other discussions on bruted girdles but HCA of this one is a rejection unless you see it in person and love it)).

Last edited:

jujubenut

Rough_Rock
Please trust the HCA score as a primary point of rejection not acceptance. HCA tells a lot and it’s the first step of evaluation.

Speaking from someone whose original E ring had a poorly cut diamond, then I actually saw a SuperIdeal cut, there is a huge difference.

Light return is made by these technical specifications of CUT.

PS can help you evaluate your next choices so you can pick a diamond with great light return. I’m glad you are getting the help you need to make a good choice.

PS the bruted girdle does have some technical impacts I’ve been told but it is not indicative of a badly cut stone only a technique used by the cutter to impact the way the diamond looks/internal reflections are sometimes impacted (you can search on PS for other discussions on bruted girdles but HCA of this one is a rejection unless you see it in person and love it)).

Thank you so much for all this info! I didn’t know about HCA until I joined PS. All of you have been so helpful and I’m really eager to find my first diamond!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really appreciate your feedback! It’s my first time purchasing such an expensive jewelry. I thought the triple excellent along with the color/clarity made it an overall good diamond.

It is a good diamond, better than 99% of diamond people are out there walking around wearing. But most of us around these parts are even more discerning about cut quality than that! Whether you are so discerning is a separate question. I assume you like the brand for this ring. And it’s an estate piece so much less costly than new. You can’t exactly order those up in a whim. So how you value cut quality vs name brand versus $$ is up to you!

Most people here would value cut quality and not pay for the brand, just to put our opinions in perspective.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is a good diamond, better than 99% of diamond people are out there walking around wearing. But most of us around these parts are even more discerning about cut quality than that! Whether you are so discerning is a separate question. I assume you like the brand for this ring. And it’s an estate piece so much less costly than new. You can’t exactly order those up in a whim. So how you value cut quality vs name brand versus $$ is up to you!

Most people here would value cut quality and not pay for the brand, just to put our opinions in perspective.

Yes, I agree. In fact likely none of my own vintage diamonds have a superb HCA score, each likely has “HCA Average” according to the strict Pricescope standards. I think if it’s a pre-owned Tiffany ring and you really want Tiffany, I would personally consider the diamond performance in person, apart from the HCA (because your’s is Average not poor in any case). I have not looked at this specific ring in person, but for a pre-owned Tiffany diamond ring, I would value authenticity, Brand cachet, Color, Size, and Price in addition to Nice Looking performance.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results