shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

Tiffany Novo + Pear Diamond

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by Toasterthief, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Toasterthief
    Rough_Rock

by Toasterthief » Mar 20, 2017
    Hi there,

I'm currently shopping for an engagement ring. My girlfriend and I stepped in to a Tiffany's this past weekend, with her favorite ring being a Tiffany Novo setting with a Pear shaped diamond (1.3 carats). I'm not exactly sure of the other specifics of the diamond, but $39k seems a bit excessive for the blue box.

I've been looking at Blue Nile/James allen as possible alternatives. What's the closest setting to the Tiffany Novo at each place? I think I found it on Blue Nile (https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...inum_9917?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample) but I'm curious if anyone has seen something even closer. Also, does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts on buying a similar sized diamond? I understand that round cut diamonds are very easy to compare/standardize, but it seems like comparing pears is more difficult.

2. Wmiod
    Rough_Rock

by Wmiod » Mar 20, 2017
    I can't speak to your question about the pear shape, but I have a Tiffany Novo band and I think from an engagement ring POV the closest to the Novo would be https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ite-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-item-49519 however I would also suggest https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ite-pave-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-56252. Neither have the basket aspect of the Novo but just overall offer a similar appearance. The JA settings that have the basket don't have a flush fit. The the prongs for a pear look different so keep that in mind.

You are smart for second guessing that 39K price tag. So many wonderful diamonds to choose from elsewhere. You could get the exact ring you are looking for at like 9K. Best of luck!

3. Toasterthief
    Rough_Rock

That first setting looks very similar to the Blue Nile setting I linked, right? Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

4. ac117
    Brilliant_Rock

by ac117 » Mar 20, 2017
    Yes, because we recommend shopping on JA over BN for fancy cut shapes likes pears since the videos are better and they will provide idealscope or ASET images on stones here in NY, which is very helpful. It would be easier to one stop shop and get both the setting and stone from the same vendor.

5. Wmiod
    Rough_Rock

by Wmiod » Mar 20, 2017
    I agree with ac117, I would never buy a diamond from blue nile. There is just so much variation you want to see what you are buying.

Edited to clarify that while some people are very happy with their BN purchase for me its outside of my comfort zone.

6. Toasterthief
    Rough_Rock

Thanks for the suggestions. Bluenile is going to send me some in-depth videos of the diamonds in question. If I posted those here would those be helpful?

7. Toasterthief
    Rough_Rock

In addition, does anyone have any thoughts on this stone at JA? 2247471

I'd like to keep it around 10k for the ring/setting, but this is the stone that the James Allen representative suggested.

8. ac117
    Brilliant_Rock

9. Toasterthief
    Rough_Rock

by Toasterthief » Mar 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM
    Is the lack of responses due to the fact that pears are just tougher to buy? Would I be better off purchasing a diamond/setting from a place like ERD/BE?

10. ac117
    Brilliant_Rock

by ac117 » Mar 22, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    Sorry you're not getting more responses! I would suggest starting a new thread and putting something like "help needed selecting a 1-1.2 ct pear" with your budget, desired specs in your post so more people could weigh in.

Of the 3 you've posted, I still prefer the first 1.13. I can't get the video of the 1.3 to work but the tip looks to have more mush and the 1.2 has a more noticeable bowtie that I don't love. I'll try to have a look at what I could find.

11. fox81
    Rough_Rock

by fox81 » Mar 24, 2017 at 1:30 AM
    not to hijack the thread, but have people got recommendations of who has a good range of pear settings, or who is recommended to custom design a pear setting?