shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Novo - Old or New Setting Style?

willyp5

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I'm having an engagement ring setting custom made and am trying to decide between the old Tiffany Novo setting vs. the new Tiffany Novo setting. The two styles look just about the same from the top view. The side view is where the difference is. I would love to hear your thoughts on the pros/cons of the two.

The first image has two perspectives of the old style while the second image is the new style.

Thanks!!

Old1b.JPG New1b.JPG

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! I'm having an engagement ring setting custom made and am trying to decide between the old Tiffany Novo setting vs. the new Tiffany Novo setting. The two styles look just about the same from the top view. The side view is where the difference is. I would love to hear your thoughts on the pros/cons of the two.

The first image has two perspectives of the old style while the second image is the new style.

Thanks!!

Old1b.JPG New1b.JPG

I'd choose the new as it's easier to clean

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old 100%

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Personal preference of course, visually I really love the old version. It seems very classic “Tiffany”.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Old - it's more elegant and substantial looking. But it was the other side view of the new style that really influenced my opinion, as it looks awkward.

willyp5

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all the opinions so far. Since I didn't include a profile view of the new style, I'm attaching it here. Does that change anybody's opinion?

New_Profile.JPG

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
The older version is classic. I don't care for the cathedral setting in the new one, it looks so... wide?

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I prefer the new version. It’s more delicate. I like a cathedral setting and I prefer a basket.
The old version is classic but it always reminds me of a candy ring pop. However, It probably does stack better with bands. So that might sway your decision.

If you don’t mind a gap between your ring and the wedding band, then the new version is great. If you prefer the rings to sit flush then I’d pick the old style. You can see from the side view that the new version comes out more and would create a gap.

They are both really nice. I don’t think there’s a wrong answer here.

willyp5

Rough_Rock
The older version is classic. I don't care for the cathedral setting in the new one, it looks so... wide?

In the stock photo on the Tiffany website, the new style looks delicate (see attached). I'm not quite sure what size the center stone is in the stock photo. But as the center stone gets bigger (the one I posted originally of the new style is 2.6ct), the basket does look wide.

New_Side.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big is your stone? Did I miss it?

I don't like the old one for larger stones. I think I prefer the newer one between the two.

willyp5

Rough_Rock
How big is your stone? Did I miss it?

I don't like the old one for larger stones. I think I prefer the newer one between the two.

I'm targeting 2ct. Here's a picture of the original style in a 2.2ct.

Attachments

• Old_2.2.JPG
    Old_2.2.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Because your vacillating, there must be something about each version that you like/don't like. Can you describe to us what those things are? Is there a general style that your jewelry collection as a whole leans toward: classic, ornate, modern, vintage?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this ring for you or your SO?

willyp5

Rough_Rock
Because your vacillating, there must be something about each version that you like/don't like. Can you describe to us what those things are? Is there a general style that your jewelry collection as a whole leans toward: classic, ornate, modern, vintage?

Haha - it's such a toss up to me. That's why I was hoping getting people's thoughts would help sway me one way or another. ;-) Here are my thoughts so far:

Original style
- I like how the center stone is the feature. The prongs are designed to showcase as much of the center stone as possible, not just from the top view.
- The setting better reflects the classic Tiffany style, which is one of the key things that make a Tiffany engagement ring distinct.
- I didn't consider it before until Lakefront mentioned it - there wouldn't be as much of a gap between the e-ring and the wedding band with this setting.

New style
- It's new.
- I like that the lines of the new style is more modern and delicate.
- The paves are set in a way to create more sparkle for the ring overall (but does it detract from the center stone?)

Is this ring for you or your SO?

Ring is for my SO. It's to be a surprise so I have to make the decision myself. I do know that she likes a cushion cut diamond with paves on the band, which both styles satisfy. Both styles are pretty, and I think I can't go wrong with either. I was hoping that I would lean more one way over another.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be Tiffany style?

I would want smaller claw prongs but Victor makes this one. The base (donut area) is smaller so the wedding band will sit
fairly close.

On the Tiffany styles, I don't really care for the big base on the newer version (but like the cathedral) and don't really like the prong
area on the older version.

willyp5

Rough_Rock
Does it have to be Tiffany style?

I would want smaller claw prongs but Victor makes this one. The base (donut area) is smaller so the wedding band will sit
fairly close.

On the Tiffany styles, I don't really care for the big base on the newer version (but like the cathedral) and don't really like the prong
area on the older version.

I see what you're saying. I do like how the Eve setting combines what you like about both Tiffany styles. I don't like the intertwining of the prongs though.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock

This is a great idea.

Edit: Ah I see you posted it all already, great!

So yeah, does it have to be Tiffany? There are so many vendors that can make exactly what is in your head.

Why don't you share what the dream ring looks like? Then someone here can point you in the right direction. We live for this stuff! :lol-2:

willyp5

Rough_Rock
This is a great idea.

Edit: Ah I see you posted it all already, great!

So yeah, does it have to be Tiffany? There are so many vendors that can make exactly what is in your head.

Why don't you share what the dream ring looks like? Then someone here can point you in the right direction. We live for this stuff! :lol-2:

My dream ring is one that my SO will be happy with and say yes to me. ;)2

I have seen many variations, but no matter what, I keep gravitating back to these two Tiffany Novo styles as ones I'm pretty positive she will like. So at this point for sanity's sake, rather than expanding the consideration set, I need help nudging me one way or the other to move me beyond my analysis paralysis. :lol-2:

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I’d say that gap between bands would be the deal breaker for me. As a right hand ring, I’d prefer the cathedral version but if I’m wearing it as an engagement ring with other bands, I’d want them to sit well together.

You can’t go wrong with the classic old style and it seems to work best with other bands.

You can always change the setting later on down the road. Don’t let it stress you out too much. She’s going to love it either way

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
This is a risky setting to choose as a surprise. Mainly because of the gap between the wedding band and the engagement ring. I personally like a gap but seems like the majority of the women I meet, flush fit is essential (probably 90%?).

I love the classic Tiffany &Co 6 prong but the Novo is not my favorite setting. Of the 2 I would go with the OLD, because a wedding band fits closer and the side view of the second is problematic.

That being said I’ve seen many ring styles on PS (cushion cut with pave) done better than both these settings.

Good luck!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results