shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Lucida Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bridc

Rough_Rock
I'm planning to take the plunge on the Tiffany Lucida and I need some pricing advice. (I know there are better deals on similar pieces, but she has her heart set on it.) I'm a bit green on all of this, so please use layman's terms and have mercy.

Basically, in the Tiffany Lucida cut and setting, I'm looking for:

Weight: 1.0-1.1
Clarity: VVS1-VVS2
Color: F or better

Any sense of the price range I'm looking at? Are prices coming down, even at Tiffany's, in the wake of the retail downturn? Or do prices for specialty items such as this ignore overall economic dynamics? Also, I see a lot of advice to haggle -- is this true for all jewelers including the highenders like Tiffany's?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

maddogcredit

Rough_Rock
There is only one place were you are getting the lucida, and that is tiffany's. I suggest you talk to them direct. They set the price.

bridc

Rough_Rock
I know there's only one place to get it -- that's what I'm saying. Before I speak with Tiffany's, I wanted to see if anyone has any sense of price so I'm entering into the discussion in an informed fashion.

I've seen others ask about this to no avail -- is it a secret?

Any help would be appreciated.

bridc

Rough_Rock
FYI: For anyone interested, Tiffany's quotes a price of $13,800 for a Lucida with the following specs:

Weight: 1.03
Clarity: VVS2
Color: F

Thoughts?

Jellilorum

Rough_Rock
I was in Tiffany's in Atlanta this past weekend. Now I do not know if they thought we were completely ignorant of diamonds or what ... I was told any Tiffany solitaire starting at .50 carats was $5,020. The .50 carat Lucida they showed me looked very small and had little sparkle to it. The salespeople were also quite rude. The price on the ring you are considering would probably be close to $20,000. Ack!:-o :-o :-o

vafungal

Rough_Rock
I'm currently in search of a princess cut on lucida setting also, the best deals I have found on Lucida look alike (very much alike!) costs anywhere from 500-1000 for setting alone, plus the stone. I refuse to pay double the amount to only have "Tiffany" logo inside my band. Of course, if you want to pay 20,000 for 1 carat on true tiffany setting, it's up to you...but, you can buy something very very beautiful on a lucida look alike for half that price! well, that's my opinion in result of my research :read: :))

icerookie

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend also liked the Lucidia cut at Tiffany's a 1.25 carat is $15,000.00 for a VS2-H color. I have looked at better quality stones for that price. My debate is that should I get a really good quality stone versus the cut that she likes....:confused:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
This X-prong design by Vatche is just the same as Lucida and you can select different shape/cut quality as well...

GI_Xprin_f.jpg

kasia

Rough_Rock
DOES ANBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE, OUTSIDE OF TIFFANY'S, CAN I FIND LUCIDA DIAMONDS. I NEED THEM FOR SETTING FOR MY INGAGEMENT RING AND MATCHING WEDDING RINGS. TOTAL WGHT. ON WEDDING RING IS .65CT AND THERE WHERE 13 STONES I NEED 10 STONES FOR THE RING, 11-13 FOR MY WEDDING BAND AND 5-7 SLITELY BIGGER ONES FOR HIS BAND.
HEEEEEELP!!!!! PLEASE.:loopy:
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME MORE ABOUT LUCIDA LIKE DIAMONDS, AND WHERE CAN I FIND THEM

buttercup

Rough_Rock
the 'lucida' diamonds are octagons.
so you can either get really square-proportioned radiants, or flanders cut.
there's another octillion cut, but i don't know a lot about that.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kasia... Check out Cut Nut and Oldminer' posts in this thread:
[/u]

todd

Rough_Rock
I'll throw my two cents in here. My girlfriend and I have been looking at rocks for some time now. She really has her heart set on the Lucida. After speaking with the chap after she left, I found that the rule of thumb for the ring it 10K per carat. Keep in mind this would be something like a VS2 and H. If you’re looking for a 1c with VVS1 and E, your looking at around 13-14K per carat.
Anyway, I read some of you chatting about an alternative dealer that makes or could make a Lucida replica. Where should I look, I live in Dallas.
Also, I will try to help my fellow men in this time of nervousness. Take a look at the linz diamond at Bailey Banks and Biddle. I know it's not in any of their catalogs or web site; you will have to go in and check it out. It has the simplicity of the Lucida.
Any feedback is welcome.:read:

lunachik1974

Rough_Rock
I recently became engaged and after going from store to store I was disheartened on finding all the stores had the same rings or variations of the same rings. I discovered the flanders cut diamond when it first came out in the 1990's and wanted that to be the center stone. Since I lived in a metropolitan city it seemed that the prices were outrageous. I looked at the Lucida diamond and found that the prices I was quoted were very high. I ended up going to a jeweler in the small town where we were quoted 2800.00 dollars on a GIA certified .58 carat Flanders cut diamond with color F and clairity VVS1. The cut and proportions were excellent as well. BTW the nearest quote that came close to that was back in the metropolitan city where I was living that gave a quote for the same size and shape, color H Clarity was VS1 with the cut and proportions good for 3800.00. The Lucida was well above that cost.:wavey:

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
Lucida Diamond cut or the Platinum setting are Tiffany's signature pieces.
I know the cutting company who custom cut for Tiffany's . They are saying it's illegal for anybody to copy the Tiffany's cut diagrams. However
there are MANY cutting diagrams today that resemble Lucida so closely, it is hard to see the difference with naked eye. The cut is basically called
Square cut cornered modified brilliant cut. It looks very much like the radiant cut with modified facetting diagram. This cut is available for cutom orders. The cost? No different than Radiant but if custom cut the extra faccets will cost you few points but you will get what you wanted
paying for diamond not for the name of jeweler. The settings are widely available also slightly modified the cost is no different than any other Platinum setting depending on it's weight.

Cheers
George
GLE GEm Imports

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hi There!

I tried on the "Lucida" Engagement ring in a 1 carat, and it had a price tag on it of $16,000.00

Quite a lot of money for a single carat IMHO.

I tried on a 1 carat at Bailey Banks & Biddle like it for $8600.00, better but still too much.

Hub bought my 1.13 stone loose and it was $3400.00 and I am remodeling our kitchen instead!! LOL

Jeff Cooper also has some nice princess settings that look a lot like the lucida.

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I agree with the fact that Tiffany charges a very high price for its quality and name.
However, there is another option which is a better cut and is far less expensive than Tiffany's Lucida.
It's called the LUCERE.
Similar to Lucida in shape, but it also exhibits a Hearts & Arrows pattern.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
However, there is another option which is a better cut and is far less expensive than Tiffany's Lucida.
It's called the LUCERE.
Similar to Lucida in shape, but it also exhibits a Hearts & Arrows pattern.
----------------
Maurice, I thought only Hearts on Fire Dream and Regent are square cuts with H&A pattern not Lucere. Can you show us a picture of Lucere with H&A?

jcdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the clarification, Leonid.
Lucere has no H&A pattern. I got confused with the Regent.

The Regent Cut exhibits the H&A (please see pg.42 in the Rapaport Magazine).
Please keep on correcting us....

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe Tiffany failed in patent attempts with the Lucida format. Anyone can cut it, but most do a much better job. Every Lucida I have seen through an ideal-scope looked horrid.

The worst Lucere or Regent looked better than the best Lucida.

But Lucida is a copyright name, just as Quadrillion - the early princess cut is.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
I agree wit Cut Nut that Lucida is not the best cut in the world and the modified versions are MUCH better.
George

TheRock

Rough_Rock
I have some personal experience with Lucida/Tiffany that may help, too...

I was initially interested in a princess cut diamond in a Lucida setting and I approached a saleswoman at Tiffany here in NYC about just that. She infomed me that not only will Tiffany not set your third-party diamond for you, but the company also does not offer princess cuts. Looking arond the store, I started to fall in love with the patented Lucida cut. However, as I've mentioned in other posts, I was able to find almost 0.5 carats more in weight (and substantially better clarity, cut, and color) for the price Tiffany quoted me for a smaller, lower-quality stone. Granted, the Tiffany price was for a pantented Lucida cut vs. what I settled on, which was a square emerald stone (these days, often referred to erroneously as an Asscher cut). Patented cut or not, the higher Tiffany price was not justified.

So, my advice is 1) start hitting up your favorite wholesaler or online vendor for a Lucere diamond -- in my search, I came across Jonathan at GoodOldGold.com who can get his hands on a few -- or choose a different square or modified square cut; and then 2) choose either a Vatche X-prong setting (which is nearly identical to the Lucida setting) or an actual generic replica of the Lucida setting (absolutely identical). I found Vatches at MANY online outlets and found the generic Lucida (which I eventually purchased) at www.icestore.com.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

The Rock

chuckles

Rough_Rock
Leonid,
This lucere appears to have H&A symmetry.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/lucere_1_13ct_f_vs2.htm

goscottgo

Rough_Rock
I have been reading up on the Tiffany's Lucida since I have had a deal proposed to me - 9,000 for a 1 ct. Lucida. I forgot the rest of the details but it was definitely a good ring. I am hoping to talk him down to 8,000, since 7,000 is my budget right now. I noticed a lot of you think the Lucida is too expensive...but at 8 to 9 grand, is it still too much for that ring?

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
$9k for a 1.0ct Lucida is low (by Tiffany standards), which also means low quality too probably. I would agree with prev. posters in that it would cost around $15-20k for the color/clarity that this thread started with.

If you're going to compramise color and clarity, do it for the sake of cut... not name.

(DARN! I broke the Friday rule!)
sad.gif

goscottgo

Rough_Rock
The ring is not being sold through Tiffany's, rather a jewler who aquired the ring shortly after someone purchased it (apparently the engagement did not last long and the girl never wore the ring).

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Then I would most certainly recommend taking it to a reputable independent appraiser and make the sale contigent on his/her inspection. You can get some great deals on 'used' merch, but you should check it out with a fine tooth comb. Don't cheap out with a $45 appraisal at this point.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Agreed with VH. Also, if you can get the GIA and Tiffany report that came with it. If not, maybe if you DO buy it, then you could bring it to Tiffany's and tell them it was from a previous marriage (you don't have to say it wasn't YOURS), and see if they will check it or recertify it...?

goscottgo

Rough_Rock
It does come with the Tiffany's cert/report thankfully. I even think the little blue box is included
1.gif
But I would still want to get it appraised, if Tiffany's if that is possible?

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Get it independently appraised, if you still want an additional level of comfort you can have it re-certed by AGA or GIA.

duhamelk

Rough_Rock
My husband
12.gif
purchased a 1.49 Lucida cut Tiffany diamond for me to celebrate our 20th anniversary (a significant upgrade to my beautiful round .50 carat from college!). It is the most lovely thing! He paid $17,800 for it - VS1, G color, excellent polish, very good symmetry. It is spectacular...I say go for it! Why wait until your 20th anniversary?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results