shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Legacy Engagement Ring with and without graduated side stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jr7120

Rough_Rock
Hello, I have been reading everyone''s posts for a while now, trying to find some information about the Tiffany''s Legacy ring with and without the graduated side stones. I am looking for this ring for my girlfriend of 4 years after we fell in love with it at Tiffany''s in Beverly Hills. I have a few questions about the Tiffany Legacy along with what I should do with my budget.

So here it goes.... we love the Tiffany''s Legacy and the one that we looked at was with the graduated side stones with a center of 1.16 E VVS1 for $20,000! This is a little high for my budget, since I want to spend about $15,000. Therefore, should I try to get someone to replicate it using the photos on the Tiffany''s website? My conern about this is that it will have to buy a ring that does not have the same quality workmanship and detail that Tiffany''s has. Also, I imagine that if I did get the ring made outside of Tiffany''s, I could get a larger stone. But what is the minimum that I should be looking for when it comes to color and clarity. I have heard that G color minimum and VS1. Is there a big difference between f and g color and therefore VVS2 and VS1?

Please help

THANKS!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 2:46:16 PM
Author:jr7120
I have heard that G color minimum and VS1. Is there a big difference between f and g color and therefore VVS2 and VS1?

Little confused ... the scales you're talking about work independently. D - say J in color is not linked to the clarity scale IF-SI2 say.

The legacy stone is a cut like no other (trademarked combo of cushion & asscher). Would you be "replacing" it in your copied version with a cushion stone or an asscher cut stone (or other, radiant?)

I'd be willing to look at GIA color I or even J with a cushion, but stuck to H for the more open Asscher cut when I was looking.

G is a very safe bet in all cuts (as long as they are GIA or AGS graded)

Which clarity to choose also depends on type of cut. Cushions & round brilliants tend to hide inclusions better than Asschers or Emeralds.

You can find workmanship equal to Tiffany's but you will pay for it -- Pave is tricky too ... some folks with custom made halos & pave have had problems with stones falling out. I have not heard that about the Tiffany version.

Hope this helps!

ETA: maybe you could get a 1ct H or I, VS2 without graduated stones FROM TIFFANY for 15K?? Did you ask what was avail for your budget?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen Legacy-like rings advertised. I''m pretty sure one ad I saw was for Derco Jewelers in San Francisco and San Jose. Might want to look them up and give them a call.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany sells from D color down to I color and from IF down to VS2 clarity. That means that you can get more "bang" for your buck by dropping in clarity and color to get more size without sacrificing the craftsmanship and name you think would be appealing. Remember that usually no one can replicate exactly and with the same precision of design, like the actual designer.

The reason most legacy rings are copied and envied is because the standard that goes into each one and because the specifications are tighter than most jewelers copying them. Pave is difficult to do, and with an excellent jeweler (other than T&Co) you can still get that, but don't expect that to be cheap either.

I often find that you do get what you pay for whether it's a brand name or not. Brand names wouldn't exist if people didn't find quality behind those names. Consumers are a lot smarter than you think. When a brand quality slips, the market tends to drop demand. Just try and remember all those designers from the 80's who now don't design or make alarm clocks that come free with credit card approvals...

Good luck! And in a Legacy, the diamond inside is not a cushion per se. It's a modified cut patented by T&Co, so it's going to look a bit different with an Asscher (more geometric and less soft), or with a cushion (which won't have the same simplicty as the legacy's cut). Look around and compare.

jr7120

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the confusion, yes the scales are independent. I would be replacing the center stone with a cushion cut if I got it made.

Does anyone know of a good jeweler in the Financial District of San Francisco?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of months ago I inquired at Tiffany''s about Legacy rings since I fell in love with the setting. I was quoted a 1.03 I VVS2 Legacy without the graduated sidestones at 13,500 and there was only one Legacy with an I color in that size range. I did try on a .5 H VVS2 that was beautiful. Maybe you can get Tiffany''s to search their database if that is what you really want. I was also told that Tiffany''s doesn''t make many of those either.

I''m getting Quest Jewelers to make a Tiffany Legacy Replica with a few tweaks for a very reasonable price.

jr7120

Rough_Rock
If you do''t mind me asking, where is Quest Jewelers? Also, any other kind of details help...

Thanks and good luck!!!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, Quest Jewelers is located in Dunn Loring, VA. Alot of PSers have had long distance work as well as local work done by them.

Here is a thread on all their work https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-quest-jewelers-masterpieces.35129/

and their website is www.questjewelers.com

Thanks and good luck to you too! I''ll give everyone an update tommorow
1.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Nicrez has a gorgeous custom made setting which, if I recall she was very pleased with. Perhaps she would want to recommend her jeweler since she is very knowledgeable and scholarly.
Where have you been, Nicrez? I missed you.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Legacy is considered a Cushion Shape and is not modified.....

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I've been looking at a Tiffany "ornate legacy" ring (F color, 1.02 carats, V V S 2, $20,000 USD). Their pave' stones are all full cuts. If you decide to go with a non-Tiffany legacy style ring, you might want to verify whether or not the pave' stones will be full-cuts. Visually, it makes a big difference.

jr7120

Rough_Rock
I do not know much about pave stones, but I imgaine by full cutes, you mean full stones.. as opposed to not full stones?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2006 8:26:09 PM
Author: jr7120
I do not know much about pave stones, but I imgaine by full cutes, you mean full stones.. as opposed to not full stones?

A full cut has 57 or 58 facets. A single cut has 16 or 17 facets. Both are generally modern cut round diamonds..

jr7120

Rough_Rock
And I assume that the more facets the better? Sorry for the newbie questions....

Thanks!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again! A stone with 58 facets will sparkle more than one with 16 or 17 facets.

alanair

Rough_Rock
hello rough rock,

i too fell in love with the tiffanies legacy ring....i want to propose in within the next month...

did u find a custom jewler or did u end up buying the tiffanys legacy ring?

if you had it custom, were u happy with the work?what were the costs?...referrals?

thanks!

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Politely butting in: Looks like he found another jeweler to create a look-alike for him:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-tiffany-inspired-e-ring.45567/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results