shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Impression - HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rock23

Rough_Rock
Hi Gents and Ladies. First I wanted to say Kudos to everyone out there contributing, "Thank You"! You are really helping a lot of people, many of whom remain silent.

To my problem. So my young lady went to business school and a lot of her friends have Tiffany engagement rings. The good part is that neither my girlfriend nor I feel any pressure to go the Tiffany route. We both like a much value as possible for our money. Now here is the funny part... I really like (and she does too) the Tiffany setting.

So I saw at ExcelDiamonds a Tiffany look-alike which I like the look of, simply because of it''s form (not it''s relation to Tiffanys). Now here is my problem. Do people who have real Tiffany settings look down on (or talk about / or view negatively) people who have Tiffany look-alike settings? For myself I couldn''t care less but my girlfriend is sensitive and I don''t want to put her in an uncomfortable position. Compounding the problem is that she doesn''t know when/what I am getting so I don''t want to broach the subject with her. I don''t think anyone would comment to her but don''t want her always wondering. I guess I am not familiar enough with the Tiffany''s brand and what it represents.

It would be very helpful to me if people could chime in.

Thanks

Kevin

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Why not present her with the diamond in a simple 4 or 6 prong setting, and then have her choose which Tiffany replica she would like? There are many choices from different vendors and I''m sure one will have the perfect setting!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kevin,

I think the romantics will always be impressed by the real thing whereas the more informed buyers (such as a number of those in pricescope) will probably think the buyer did not get the best deal out of Tiffany's.

Have you seen the other 4 or 6 prong settings? There are many beautiful designs out there and you might want to try www.dvatache.com. I saw on other posts that they do some setting for Tiffany.

If you still like the Tiffany setting, I say go for it and ignore what others think. Your lady will love whatever trinklets and baubles you give her! I keep all jewelry from my hubby, from precious gems to silver jewelry from a Thai weekend market.. I love them all because they are from him!

Good luck!
1.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I''m hopeless, I can''t even insert a smiley : (

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, that is a dilemma. I am sure her friends might at first glance say, Oh! You got a Tiffany ring! And then she''ll have to say, No, it''s similar but not Tiffany. Then they''ll say, Oh, well, it''s really pretty anyway! That might make her feel bad.

In this case, I think it is important to know how she feels, so you either need to tell her that someday you might want to surprise her with something she loves, but you need to know what that is. Or, do as the other person said and set the diamond in a plain generic 14k gold tiffany setting for under $200 and let her choose the setting after you propose.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Without close inspection, I''m not really sure how many people could tell the difference between a Tiffany and a Superbcert replica. The only real difference I can see from the pics is that the prong tips of the replica are rounded teardrop shape, while the tiffany prong tips are flat and rectangular at the tip.
31.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel for the case where someone says, "oh, you got a Tiffany!"

Mark Morrell and Leon Mege make excellent 6 prongs, very elegant, but they are not Tiffany replicas. She could always reply, "actually, it's a Leon Mege (or MM)." It has an exclusive cachet to it, don't you think?
31.gif

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I would guess (from my extremely limited experience) that people looking at a ring would not necessarily assume that it is a Tiffany. In most cases the owner of the ring "casually" comments about the maker because they know its a status symbol. I would pick out what ring you want and that will display your diamond in the best way for the best price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jake, no, regular people won''t know what a Tiffany setting looks like, but her friends who have Tiffany rings definitely will. That''s the problem.

rock23

Rough_Rock
I guess I do like the idea of either going with a very simple setting and shopping with her (I didn''t think of that!!!) or getting one which has it''s own style.

Curiously enough, after looking at a lot of settings, the post right next to mine has a sunburst setting from Mark Morrel which I liked as well. Somewhat similar but maybe different enough to be obviously different from the tiffany one. I am going to resize and post the image.

Kevin

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I missed the part about her friends getting Tiffany settings.... They might be the ones to comment on the maker because thats where they got theirs. Yea that is tough. I would still get the replica. You''re getting a ring and it just so happens that it is similar to a Tiffany style setting. It will still be beautiful without the name.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the above, set the diamond in a temporary setting and let her choose the one she wants. She may not want what all her friends have, and if they have the real deal, they will know hers is not. She may be o.k. with that, she may not.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I would not worry in the slightest! As long as your gf doesn't need to have a Tiffany & Co. ring, you should just go for the biggest, best cut stone you can afford! Never heard of anyone look at a beautiful big diamond and say, "It's not a Tiffany." It's usually more on the lines of, "WOW! It's huge! So sparkly!"

I'd concern myself more with the size & cut. That's what people tend to notice most, especially if they are comparing. The ones who whisper/talk about diamonds behind others' backs are usually going to do that regardless. If it's a Tiffany ring, then it'll be about the size. If it's big and a Tiffany, they'll harp on the color or clarity. Cats will always find something to meow about! LOL. Congrats to you both, btw!

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
After further consideration I would get the real thing. You don''t want her to regret anything that you do regarding the ring. It would be horrible if she felt ashamed to say it wasn''t a Tiffany. Better play it safe and you know she''ll be happy...

rock23

Rough_Rock
I will take look at the Leon Mege as well! These are all great comments! In 5 minutes I have more ideas than searching the past couple of weeks. I have been a little uncomfortable from day 1 (many moons ago) about the replica, "oh is that a Tiffanys?", problem.

Kevin

rock23

Rough_Rock
I agree about the cut and clarity. I am looking at this ring from James Allen:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=937919

I wish that Jim''s company had BrilliantScope or Hearts Images of the Diamond, but running the numbers through the Halloway cut analyzer implies that the sparkle/light return should be very good.

Kevin

rock23

Rough_Rock
Jake,

Agreed. And since people on the forum have mixed feelings about it I think I am going to take a look at a few other settings and if I can''t find one I really like I will get a simple setting for now. Thanks to everyone for helping me make up a plan of action.

The diamond I am looking at is : http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=937919

If you have any comments, such as "Are you Crazy?", please fire them out. They will be very helpful!

Kevin

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
I never thought it was a problem. When I got engaged almost all my friends had Tiffany type mountings, but none of them got our rings from Tiffany. In fact, if someone had we would have secretly snickered at her fiance for having overspent, and not been impressed by the label.

If someone asks me if my ring (with its replica mounting) is from Tiffany, I would tell the truth. I looked at their goods, which are certainly very fine, but none of them matched the quality of the diamond we ended up choosing. I think you''ll be able to say the same if you deal with ExcelDiamonds.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I would not buy a Tiffany replica in your situation. You said she''s sensitive and I''m sure her friends will ask her if its a Tiffany. It doesn''t matter with what name she responds, they''re going to know its a Tiffany replica. They''re going to ask her to see it, they might try it on and someone may compare it to their Tiffany ring - in a side by side. People can be snippy about that sort of thing.

Why not either get a smaller ring, lower clarity, color ring at Tiffany or a non-Tiffany ring? Tiffany rings are beautiful and personally I don''t find the price difference that great. Of course this also depends on your situation, income, etc.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
You say that your lady is in B-school. I am in banking and almost everyone I work with above a certain age has his or her MBA. I have seen guys buy their ladies Tiffany rings, and I have seen guys work with B&M jewelers and designers, and I have seen one guy do his whole thing online. Who do you think has the biggest and best stone?
The last guy.

One guy who bought his wife''s ring at Tiffany told me straight out- I was lazy and I didn''t want to bother doing the research, and he felt that by going into Tiffany he knew he would get a beautiful ring.

If she wants a tiffany style solitaire you should check out the the Lockes "signature solitaire." The setting is very similiar but has a few little "bonus" stones. Sunkist and Matatora both have this setting and it''s gorgeous- better than Tiffany if you ask me, and very special.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
As for the James Allen diamond FYI I saw a Tiffany 1.3 I ring, a VS something for about 13k the other weekend. Also, a 1.1 with a better color rating, maybe a G or H for 13k as well. Maybe the F color create a huge jump in price, I don''t know. The rings were all the classic 6 prong.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 6:15:27 PM
Author: winternight
As for the James Allen diamond FYI I saw a Tiffany 1.3 I ring, a VS something for about 13k the other weekend. Also, a 1.1 with a better color rating, maybe a G or H for 13k as well. Maybe the F color create a huge jump in price, I don''t know. The rings were all the classic 6 prong.
winternight- you saw a 1.3 I ring at Tiffany for 13K?
I believe that VS2 is the lowest Tiffany will go, I know that I is the lowest they go on color.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I would recommend dropping down to a VS1 or VS2. I am taking that you want a very high quality stone but I think the VVS may be a little overkill. Some SI1-2 are eye clean so even with the VS you are WAY in the safe zone. It is difficult to find inclusions under magnification with the VS the only difference at VVS is that is it is even MORE difficult. It is probably hard for experts to tell the difference between the two with magnification so why pay for something you can''t see. But the VVS won''t have an effect on the appearance of a stone versus a VS.

Disclaimer: This is a NON EXPERT opinion.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to clarify the ring was a VS something, I color, 1.1 ct. for 13k about.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Here is a nice stone that is $3,000 less. It is less carats but look at the Measurements: 6.89-6.93X4.18

The James Allen stone Measurements: 6.9*6.95*4.29

Face up they are 2/100 mm difference. Impossible to see.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Another nice stone... 1.26 ct G VS1 ... with WF take 5% off price (you get a pricescope discount)

Last one: 1.264ct G VS2 Round H&A

Just a few suggestions.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
If you can afford the same amount as her friends' husbands, I wouldn't get the Tiffany's if she doesn't care that much about the name. The reason is cuz her ring will be a LOT bigger. So, if someone sneers, "But it's not a Tiffanys", your fiancee can respond, "I know, mine's a lot bigger."

If she loves that particular Tiffany setting tho, just get it. It's more important that she gets what makes her happy.

You may have to talk to her and figure out if any comments will bother her. Some girls are more sensitive than others. Some girls have nastier friends/coworkers than others.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Well if the White Flash 1.26 G VS1 is $10,800, then personally I''d rather pay 2-3k more and get a ring that is already set. I''m still not getting how Tiffany is so-overpriced, unless you''re going to drop in color/clarity and go for size.

I don''t think people are necessarily going to say ''oh its not a Tiffany'' ring, more like if you have a Tiffany style ring in a group where alot of people have Tiffany rings they might ask out of curiosity. It also depends on her style, if she''s more classic or likes to stand out more, I think that should be factored in.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
You know... if she likes the tiffany classic style why not get her a solitare setting that''s better than the tiffany? Mark Morell''s Sunburst Solitare is prettier than the tiffany''s, is better workmanship, and has those adorable heartshape prongs.
SunBurst_CPs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results