shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Engagement Ring Questions

Krod

Rough_Rock
Yes, I know...another Tiffany's topic...

I have been shopping for a couple of weeks now and I know that I could get more for less by not going to Tiffany's (and I may in the end, but what I want to ask is specifically about Tiffany's).

I am looking at getting a ring in the roughly 1ct range. I was shocked upon visiting my local Tiffany's that their selection was quite small of Tiffany Setting rings. Having been to a number of other diamond ring vendors; I was expecting more. They have no loupes, microscopes, special lighting (all things I had come to expect) and simply handing me the rings. Most of the clarity ratings were quite low as were some of the color ratings. One diamonds had the largest girdle I have seen yet in all of my shopping.

However unlike most places who can quickly tell you what different levels will cost you..at least this Tiffany's seemed skiddish about talking price. Finally the sales person mentioned she could bring in two more rings which fit within the categories I was looking for. Much better than places like Jared which require a refundable % of diamond value to bring a diamond into the store for you to look at.

However its still only 2 more diamonds to look at. Since everything on the tag is about carat, clarity and color; little is mentioned about cut. Cut seemed more spelled out elsewhere and when bringing up documentation about their rings at Tiffany, they have yet to produce anything (is this common?). Because of this, I looked up online to find what it meant to be ideal and found the below and have since found HCA and heard about the I Scope on here (though it sounds like this is made for loose diamonds (which tiffany's is not)). In the recommendations of what I am looking for in a diamond; should I include these specs back to her?

Ideal cut?
Table Depth - 59.5-61.9
Table % - 55-57
Crown Angle -34.3-34.9
Pavilion Angle - 40.6-40.9

Ultimately I would love to know some place which might have a price-check on the different levels/grades/etc of Tiffany's diamonds, but it seems that stuff is kept mysterious. I also feel like I am far from an expert and feel I have to almost grade these diamonds myself, which makes me feel very uncomfortable. Thoughts?

mikew33

Rough_Rock
Krod,

While I am no diamond expert by any means I did just recently purchase my fiancee's engagement ring at Tiffany and I can share a few of my experiences that may help. I was shopping at the Tiffany Dallas location so I don't know if the experience would be the same across different stores but they were extremely helpful. I was provided with a loupe by the sales person I was working with as well as any diamond certificates that I requested so I am not sure why you weren't provided with those if you asked. I too had done a lot of reading on this site prior to my purchase and was trying to stay below an HCA score of 2 and within those ideal ranges. In order to do this instead of relying on the sales associate in the store to pick out rings they thought I would like and have them I actually called the a Tiffany diamond representative over the phone. I asked if they could search by things like table or depth which they told me they couldn't but what did end up happening was I told them my budget, color, carat, and clarity I was looking for and they read me options and were able to tell me things like the depth, table, crown, etc. for those diamonds. Once I was given many choices from this person over the phone I narrowed it down to about 3 and then took the specifications of these three to the person I was working with in the store and had her bring them in. Apparently my salesperson told me there is no guarantee that the diamonds in the online database are still available or not on hold somewhere else but it did make the process much more comprehensive.

Sorry for the long answer hopefully this will help make your shopping experience at Tiffany a little easier.

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
I too had been recently looking at rings at a local Tiffany. The salesperson I had was very very kind and helpful. I gave her the exact specifications I was looking for. Those were the specs people were kind enough to give me here. She looked through lots of certificates and found me numerous rings which they brought in the store. Perhaps some salespeople are willing to do more leg work than others. Mine did say that they didn't have a way to automatically narrow results as far as table, percentages etc. She went in and looked at certificates and found them herself. She let me look at certifcates anytime I asked. They are readily available and they can show you on a computer or print them out. The certicates have evrything similar to a gia etc. certificate. As far as price, all the prices should be attached to the ring with a tag. If they don't even have prices on their rings, I would call a higher up or ask to talk to manager. In all my years of visiting tiffany's they have always clearly displayed the price once you see the item in hand.

You've probably already realized, you do pay a premium for the name. Whether it is worth it to you or not is your choice. If you can't find the specific ring through the salesperson you have, I would just visit again and find a new one.

Krod

Rough_Rock
Yes, the prices were attaches along with a tag which had the color, clarity and color size. The problem and my major complaint, was that there was no way to find out what going from a H color to a F might increase in price. That way you can figure out where to wiggle in the diamond to keep it within your budget.

Were the cut recommendations which I found elsewhere within the correct proportions?

happilymarried

Rough_Rock
If you click on my name, I know they are listed in one of my old threads. If you look at whiteflash, they list their specs for aca which were basically the same thing.

I think like anywhere, prices will vary. Unless they all have the same exact carat weight, there are just too many variables. I would look at I color, VS1 and see what you think. Those are where they start, so if there is something you don't like with it, compare to the next better color etc. To me, all their clarity grades looked fine to me. I couldn't see anything different in any better ones versus VS1. I saw about a 500 price difference in one step of clarity difference. I did look at 2 diamonds the exact same color and carat.

Not sure if it's true, but I've read that places also take into account the price of the diamond when they bought it. Diamond prices might fluctuate so if it's a new diamond versus one that didn't sell for a year, that would be another variable too if diamond prices were different.

Krod

Rough_Rock
I assume you mean this? Found it in your old post

"Table: 53 to 58
Depth: 60 to 62.3
Crown angle: 34 to 35.5
Pavilion: 40.6 to 40.9, possibly 41 if the crown is 34. Excellent polish and symmetry is great to have, but the numbers are MUCH more important in terms of the cut quality and the light return.

Stick with those numbers and you will not buy a dud."

I have actually seen a number of Inclusions in different VS1 diamonds in my searching for rings (Im a graphic designer by trade and look at pixel discrepancies all day). Seeing any would drive me nuts as its hopefully going to be on her finger the rest of our lives, this is why Im shooting for a VVS2 or higher. I agree that between colors its hard to tell unless they are side by side and since its a solitaire there will be little to compare it to. I would prefer to stay within the colorless though as the hues are more attractive. However, D would 100% be out of my price range no doubt and honestly appears almost grayish.

Its mostly now wanting a Triple Excellent (I think that is what it is called) and having optimal cut geometry. I just want to make sure I am going through the right parameters when I look through the sheets online. I was extremely disappointed with my local store and emailed the website and found this person to be worlds better in customer service (sadly it leaves little option to be able to see each diamond in person).

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Krod|1459947668|4016107 said:
Ultimately I would love to know some place which might have a price-check on the different levels/grades/etc of Tiffany's diamonds, but it seems that stuff is kept mysterious. I also feel like I am far from an expert and feel I have to almost grade these diamonds myself, which makes me feel very uncomfortable. Thoughts?

I don't really follow what you mean by this. You are paying a premium for a diamond from Tiffany's, so make them earn your money. You are in charge of potential sale, not the SA. Yes, you will have to do your own homework. Tiffany's is not a vendor that focuses on cut. Tell them what specs you want, ask them to call in multiple stones, and yes, you will have to teach your eyes to be discerning. That's why most buyers on here end up going with ideal cuts from different vendors because they provide a higher quality diamond with much more information at a much lower price. However, it's your money to spend - so do your homework and make an educated decision.

Krod

Rough_Rock
liaerfbv|1459966678|4016242 said:
I don't really follow what you mean by this. You are paying a premium for a diamond from Tiffany's, so make them earn your money. You are in charge of potential sale, not the SA. Yes, you will have to do your own homework. Tiffany's is not a vendor that focuses on cut. Tell them what specs you want, ask them to call in multiple stones, and yes, you will have to teach your eyes to be discerning. That's why most buyers on here end up going with ideal cuts from different vendors because they provide a higher quality diamond with much more information at a much lower price. However, it's your money to spend - so do your homework and make an educated decision.

Yes, and I am started to realize that I may have simply gotten a bad associate the day I was in the store. I have since reached out to the online (email) Tiffany and they have responded immediately with a number of options, however I want to make sure that I am looking for the most ideal of cut geometry, (which is where I got those original numbers I posted from my searching online elsewhere) and now have the numbers happilymarried posted from ACA. My hope had been to go back to the store and/or talk to someone online with Tiffany with an exact spec sheet that I am looking for to ask them to bring in ones which meet those requirements.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

If you decide to go with a larger, better cut stone, we can help you with a Tiffany repro setting. That's what I have, but I got a real Tiffany wedding band.

Krod

Rough_Rock
Got two sent to me with specs (I shortened it for ease of reading): I plan on sending back for more (now that I know better parameters), but the first shocked me as it was outside of the parameters, but came back as a 1.2 on HCA

1.02 F VVS2
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.8%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 56%
CROWN ANGLE 34.7°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.7°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Slightly Thick

HCA 1.2 was kinda shocked by this as its outside of many paramaters

1.03 F VVS1
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.5%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 58%
CROWN ANGLE 34.7°
PAVILION ANGLE 41.1°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Medium To Slightly Thick

HCA 2.8

Krod

Rough_Rock
After sending the specific requirements I was sent back a very interesting email; which explained something I had heard in other articles about Tiffany on here and that is that they are unable to search proportions on their systems. I am going to include what she replied with, which doesnt seem right to me as well as the newest diamond offering.

"Unfortunately I can’t just send a bunch of reports or search for a diamond in that way. I had my team that does our grading check a wide range of diamonds last night that would fall right around the similar carat weight and quality of those two you were most interested in. In all of our diamonds that are triple excellent, nothing matched the percentages you sent me. If the carat weight goes up a little, but still triple excellent, the table size percentage is going to change based on that diamond size and doesn’t reflect what you sent to me."

As its all percentage based, I am not sure how what she said would make sense as size would have nothing to do with proportions scaled up or down evenly. I plan to send back saying something to that extent, but I wanted to make sure what I am saying is correct.

1.03 F VVS1
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 60.7%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 60%
CROWN ANGLE 34.7°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.9°

HCA Score 2.4

Krod

Rough_Rock
Two more rings have been put in front of me and I wanted to get anyone's thoughts who is willing to give them. Very much would appreciate it.

TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 59.4%
CROWN ANGLE 33.9°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.6°

HCA 1.3 (got 4 excellent)

VS

TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.3%
CROWN ANGLE 35.0°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.6°

HCA .8 (3 excellent; spread VG)

Krod

Rough_Rock
any thoughts?

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
My thoughts are you're going to get a nice diamond from Tiffany's. Tiffany sells nice diamonds. They are all pretty. The members of this forum love what they feel are super ideal cut diamonds. And Tiffany has its own opinion of what a beautifull diamond is. Can both be right, yes? I personally like diamonds that fall outside of what many members on this forum feel are ideal. I feel it is extremely important to choose a diamond with your eyes. I have seen many diamonds that fall in the super ideal angles and they're terrible. But I've seen many that are beautiful. I have a diamond that falls in these super ideal parameters and I don't like it. I'm trading it for one people here would instantly turn down. I'd try not to let this process overwhelm you and don't drive yourself crazy. Have Tiffanys bring in the several that are in your range and choose the prettiest one to you.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Krod|1460633268|4019186 said:
Two more rings have been put in front of me and I wanted to get anyone's thoughts who is willing to give them. Very much would appreciate it.

TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 59.4%
CROWN ANGLE 33.9°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.6°

HCA 1.3 (got 4 excellent)

VS

CROWN ANGLE 35.0°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.6°

HCA .8 (3 excellent; spread VG)

It seems most of Tiffany's diamonds have bigger tables and are shallower to maximize size and brilliance. Out of the ones posted, the one below seems to fit the criteria most people on pricescope look. However, like RockBrat said - choose the one you think is prettiest.

CROWN ANGLE 35.0°
PAVILION ANGLE 40.6°

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't buy anything at that price from someone who is not willing to find me what I want, especially when their excuses obviously are just that... excuses with no substance. My response would be something like.. Thanks for all your help but it looks like you're not able to find me what I am looking for. Fortunately I was able to find a diamond vendor who is able to source the kind of diamond I am looking to purchase. Thank you again and have a great day.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want Tiffany, stick with one that falls in the parameters.

Krod

Rough_Rock
If I find some rings which falls in the correct parameters; does it matter still to see it under a ASET or an Ideal Scope? Or will I just drive myself crazy heading down that route?

Krod

Rough_Rock
Also as to Insurance. As a branded ring, I know that changes some things (from reading). I have looked through and read a number of comments on insurance, but few about branded specific. I plan to call around later, but want to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

Chubb - sounds highly reviewed, but changed their policy a while back to disallow stand alone insurance (not sure if it would be worth switching other things to them for this)
Jewelry Mutual - Sounds like you can replace with same branded (but cant find if they would have Tiffany do the work or if they would want to use their own Jeweler)...I plan to ask
AllState - highly rated insurance where you could add it onto a policy.

Finally, I did search for a while and Im sorry if this particular piece has been asked before. Kindly point me in the direction if I missed it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results