shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Virgy

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I found this forum to be very informative and would like your opinions on the following -- I'm hopefully going to be engaged soon and my boyfriend is wondering if a Tiffany diamond is really worth it? What is the overall perception of those stones?

Thank you,

Virgy

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tiffany is a very well known and reputable company. I think you have many options though. Deciding on what you like is a matter of personal preference. Do a search and read on the different opinions people have (actual customers). From what I have read they sell quality goods but attached to the goods they sell is the price tag with the name. You usually get what you pay for, but what your paying for in tiffany is also the name, so I think you can get more bang for your buck buying a quality diamond from many different vendors. It seems reading through the forums that some people are willing to pay extra to have the tiffany name stamped on their ring. Weigh your options carefully though. You can definitely save yourself some money and get a better cut stone for less than what tiffany offers. If your stuck on the name then Tiffany is for you.:loopy:

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
I will second that! scorpionrioux.

Buy Informed!

Kirk

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Great diamonds, huge prices.

Okay if money's no object, but you can do better with one of these ideal make guys here. Absolutely stunning diamonds which will rival or beat anything Tiffany's has to offer, for much less money.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

TheRock

Rough_Rock
Take if from someone who has just completed a diamond purchase and who actually went to Tiffany in person to get a handle on the options there:

Unless you are dead-set on having your diamond come in a little blue box, there is NO reason to buy your ring at Tiffany.

My budget was around 10 grand. I ended up with a 1.57ct G/IF stone in a platinum generic Tiffany setting, when I could have gotten around a 1.2ct stone of lesser quality in the exact same setting at Tiffany for about the same price. You do the math.

The Rock

golfer

Shiny_Rock
You got a 1.57 G IF for 10K? What shape?

Shortly before proposing, I ventured into Tiffany's just to compare. The closest stone (in size) they had to the one I had bought was the same clarity, 4 color grades lower (worse), a slightly worse cut (both AGS0 but I liked mine better, and Tiffany's was G-G versus EX-EX). For all that worse quality, the price was double what I paid. As soon as you leave Tiffany's, the value of your stone drops about 50-75%. Any other stone retains its value. Tiffany's is the biggest ripoff in the world.

soda

Rough_Rock
each letter is $1000 markup at their store. Really simple.:Up_to_something:

tobism

Rough_Rock
I beg to differ.

I bought an engagement ring from Tiffany's and my fiance and I couldn't be happier. At first I was reluctant at seeing the price, but the reputation, quality, and peace of mind that I got from buying there justified it. I know I can go back to any Tiffany's in the world and get the same treatment and quality, and not worry about them switching my diamond or anything. Peace of mind accounts for a lot.

Moreover, when we received the Tiffany's certificate I was surprised at the stats! They were better than I could have imagined! After plugging them into the cut adviser, everything came up excellent! This just reinforced my experience and respect, not to mention the general good feeling I got when I walked into the store.

Tiffany's is king!

rocksrock

Rough_Rock
Funny tobism, that is the same way my husband feels about his purchase 2 years ago at Mayor's here in South Florida. Mayor's is kind of like the Tiffany for us here. He feels that yes he probably paid more for our diamond but the peace of mind and the store's reputation and prestige was worth it to him. To each their own I say, as long as it gets enjoyed right?:tongue:

golfer

Shiny_Rock
No offense, but I think you both got hosed. These stores like Tiffany have built up these huge premiums based on clever marketing, nothing else. I don't doubt that Tiffany's stones are better than 98%, but with today's technology you can make sure you get a stone of Tiffany quality -- or better -- without Tiffany prices. Paying for reputation behind a diamond -- of all things -- just makes no sense. It's not an intricate mechanical instrument that needs to be well crafted. It's a piece of rock that can be judge 95% based on a few words detailing the cut, color, clarity, etc. Sure you are a lot less likely to get swindled by a company that's been in business for 100 years, but you think a .00000001% chance in that happening is worth a 100% price increase? There's a much, much better chance of having your ring stolen or lost than getting there is of being sold a CZ (or the wrong stone) and not being able to get your money back, but you would never, ever pay 100% for insurance.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
If I understood Virgy correctly, the specific questions are: (1) what is the overall perception of Tiffany stones, and (2)is a Tiffany diamond really worth it?

As several folks have already said, Tiffany is a prestigious and trustworthy company. But if I understand the question correctly, I think you were asking whether there is something unique about Tiffany's stones. And I think everyone is in agreement that there is nothing unique about the stones. You can buy a stone of the same or better quality elsewhere for a fraction of the price. What makes Tiffany unique is not the stones, but the customer service and the prestige. And, for some people, the fact that they can get a setting with a genuine Tiffany stamp in it (but that has nothing to do with the stones). For some folks, those things are very important. But it would be wrong to say that Tiffany has the best quality stones. They don't.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results