shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. Im a newbie here and would appreciate any help you guys can give me. I recently started looking for an engagement ring and found myself in Tiffanys on saturday. Could you please give me some feedback/advice on the following ring:
Tiffany round brilliant
1.33 ct
Color: H
Calrity: IF
depth: 60.1%
table: 58%
girdle: thin-medium facted
cutlet: None
Polish/Symmetry: Very Good/Very Good
Fluorescence: None

Unfortunately Im on a pretty short timeline and have very limited knowledge when it comes to this stuff. Any feedback and opinion would be appreciated. Also if you could tell me what price range this type of ring is expected to fall in at a Tiffany store.

Thanks in advance....

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Do a search for Tiffany and you'll find info.

Why Tiffany's? You can get more for your money elsewhere.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Wow! An IF H from Tiffany's!!! How is it set? In the simple, beautiful six prong setting?
As for the price, I'd say ~10-11K... How far am I?
BTW, do a search on Tiffany so that you can find out if their mark up is worthy for ya.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is the 6 prong setting. As far as the price, I'm going to wait for some more guesses before I tell you want Tiffany wants for it.
4.gif

I know that I'll be paying a premium when buying from them, but because of my situation it is the only way that I can buy with a piece of mind in such a short timeframe.
Anyone else with any opinions...
confused.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Are we playing a guessing game here then? Let's see who gets the closest w/o being over.

I guess $14,500.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Actually I meant 10-11K per carat... Sorry for the confusion...
1.gif

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Guessing game
rolleyes.gif
I like that? sure why not. I'll wait for a couple more before announcing the winner. Again it the closest without going over.

Seriously though, I find myself in a situation that I need to make this purchase in less than 10 days from now. As a result, I dont have the time or patience to research a "better" buy. I know alot of people may not agree with this but this is the situation Im in. Also Tiffanys is offering me a 12 month no interest line of credit with 35% down. Again, I will be walking out with a peace of mind, and to me that is worth the Tiffany markup.
Thanks everyone for your input...and stay tuned for the winner
2.gif

diamond fan

Rough_Rock
My guess is $20,000. Advice from someone who has purchased there...have them show you several comparable ones, with the corresponding GIA report. Then you can select the best one (visually and report-wise).

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I will definitly do that when I go back.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
How short a time frame are we talking and what state do you live in?

Kiz

Rough_Rock
10 days ...NJ

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Are you in Northern NJ? How close are you to Long Island?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/16/2003 4:25:47 PM Hest88 wrote:

Are you in Northern NJ? How close are you to Long Island?
----------------

Yep, that was my thought. Many fine jewelers carry loose stones & can set on a deadline.

My guess - 14.8k Pricescope prices list same approx specs for about 8.5k

jlim

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/16/2003 2:55:43 PM Giangi wrote:

Actually I meant 10-11K per carat... Sorry for the confusion...
1.gif

----------------

giangi - you got to be more precise than that! Haha

Kiz

Rough_Rock

Yep, that was my thought. Many fine jewelers carry loose stones & can set on a deadline.

My guess - 14.8k Pricescope prices list same approx specs for about 8.5k

----------------
[/quote]

Its platinum setting. Im in central Jersey, plan on looking at a couple more places but like i said short on time.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to be so cryptic, Kiz, but the reason I asked was because Good Old Gold (www.goodoldgold.com) is on Long Island. If I lived near NY, that would be my first B&M choice for diamonds.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Jlim... $14650...
1.gif

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Kiz - you better be careful because I bought a ring from Tiffany's and they switched the ring on me. I luckily caught the fact that it wasn't what I bought. When I wouldn't let up and accept the ring, the salesperson, finally compared what was presented to a display and concurred that it was NOT what I had purchased. BE CAREFUL as you may be fooled by Tiffany's because of its name.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
In the true spirit of the price is right, I say.....$1.
9.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
$19,999
1.gif

BTW, I would DEFINITELY not buy the Tiffany stone. Waste of cash IMO! GoodOldGold is your best bet locally. Or you could buy two similiar or better stones for the same price on the internet, have them both shipped to you overnight, pick whichever one you like better and ship the other one back for a full refund. With 10 days you could do this some 5-6 times if necessary! However with some of the high quality vendors we have here I'm sure the first one you get will be twice the stone Tiffany's would!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are closeby or within a day trip... would highly suggest you go visit GOG. Jonathan can show you some H&A rocks that will knock your socks off and be about 30% cheaper than Tiffanys. Sure the platinum setting won't be the popular that Tiffanys sells you, but you will get more for your money...whether it's better color (e.g. F IF) or larger carat size and more of a compromise on the ctw/color/clarity (e.g. 1.75c F VS1). These stones have all EX EX Polish and Symm or ID ID. Not VG VG.

You can go into Jonathan's...find a stone, and he can set it for you in a setting of your choice. He has a highly reputed online presence and a B&M store as well. You'd be done...in less than 10 days. And with less than 30% markup. He offers lifetime trade-in too which is cool. You won't get the pretty blue box, but you'll also get more info on that stone than you DREAMED possible!!
1.gif
Bscope reports anyone?

Whatever you choose...good luck. Take this opportunity to make an educated decision. Whether it's a brand name or an excellently cut stone...shop smart! 10 days is 10 days...alot can be done in 10 days!!

Oh and my guess for the Tiffany ring is $17k
1.gif

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. I will take all of it into consideration in the next 10....ooops now 9 days (tick tock tick tock). As for the winner of the "closest without going over" contest it is fire&ice with a guess of 14,800. The actual price at Tiffany is 15,500.
I still have 9 days, so I will be checking back for more advice and help along the way.
Thanks again for all you help.
2.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Since Good Old Gold is close to you I checked out theire site, and if you were willing to spend 15.5K on that Tiffany stone, you might want to consider this (if it's available-call Jonathon):

1.32 carat
E-VS2
61.9 % Depth
57% Table
Girdle- Medium to slightly thick faceted
No culet/no flourescence
Polish- Excellent
Symm.- Excellent (H&A-Ideal)
Pricetag: $9663.00

And if 15.5K is your budget, you can check out this baby:

Carat Weight: 1.508
Clarity: VS2
Color: F
Cut External
Polish: AGS ~ Ideal
Symmetry: AGS ~ Ideal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Price ~ $14,361.

Several sites, including goodoldgold, DBOF, and NICEICE offer a discount for payment via bank wire so you may be able to save even more money that way. With these values you'll be able to get a nice setting too.

These prices make the drive more than worth it, I think. You can see these stone on the website. And you'll have money to spare for the setting.

I feel like I just did a commercial.

I want everyone to know in my dealing on this forum, Nice Ice , DBOF and GOG have been great about answering question and concerns I have had so I do have a slight loyalty. I hope I can do business with one of them when the time comes.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/17/2003 11:19
6.gif
3 AM Kiz wrote:

As for the winner of the "closest without going over" contest it is fire&ice with a guess of 14,800. The actual price at Tiffany is 15,500.
I still have 9 days, so I will be checking back for more advice and help along the way.
Thanks again for all you help.
2.gif

----------------

Funny, I typed 15.5K & thought a good marketing co. would want to keep an off carat stone under 15K.

You have a bird in the hand at Tiffany's; but, you have some time to search for an alternative.

Good luck.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kiz
wavey.gif

The premium for the Tiffany ring is not worth it. If you have a 15k budget, why not take a drive to GOG and I'm sure you can get a very good diamond for a around 10k in that size. You can perhaps burn the rest on a nice pair of studs. I'm sure she would love it.
2.gif

Congratulations and best of luck with yuor ring purchase!

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I'd pass on the Tiffany and go for a bigger size. I got a 1.64 carat F SI1 that'll knock your socks off mounted in 14k white gold with a platinum head for under $14k. I can't see any inclusions, and I've looked until my eyes hurt!

Trust me, she'll like the bigger stone better!
1.gif

69gm

Shiny_Rock
just another vote to go to goodoldgold.com if you can. you'll get waaaaayyy more for your money and if you find one you like you can pick it up in no time. or i'm certain that he can work out something in the form of overnight-delivery.

besides to save $$$ or get more bang for your buck, i'd say a trip to long island is well worth it!

good luck, but my personal vote is don't do tiffany's!

69gm

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/16/2003 9
6.gif
7:50 PM homer_j wrote:

In the true spirit of the price is right, I say.....$1.
9.gif

----------------

homey,

i was LMAO!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jewels wrote:

You can perhaps burn the rest on a nice pair of studs. I'm sure she would love it.
2.gif

-------

Oh yeah!!! The extra $5k on a pair of diamond studs is a very GOOD IDEA. That'll get her something like a pair of 1.5ctw (.75c each) G VS studs...amazing. I would die of happiness if I was presented with an amazing 1.35c diamond e-ring AND a pair of 1.5ctw diamond studs from the man I loved; *at the same time* no less! Have the paramedic bag handy.

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results