shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany & Co. vs. Blue Nile

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

couturequeen17

Rough_Rock
Okay, I hope this one hasn't been done to death. I'm really sorry if it has. This is my first post, so hey everyone. :)

I don't know all that much about diamonds, just the basics I guess. (There is sooo much to know.) But, I do know that all the other mall stores (ie: Zales, Kay, Helzburg) are a rip off. I figured that out when I looked online to compare their preset solitaire rings vs. Blue Nile's loose diamonds plus rings. It also doesn't help that the lady at Helzburg laughed at me for wanted a promise ring for around 1/2 ct or more. I didn't like their diamonds anyways. Even in their great Jewelry store lighting, the diamonds didn't look good at all. I'd rather spend $2000 for a wonderful 1/2ct loose diamond than their $999 1ct diamond ring.

My boyfriend and I are looking for a promise ring with a $2500 budget. I feel that I am just too young to be engaged right now. Another thing I have a question about it stone shape. I love the look of an emerald cut, but will that look smaller than a round brilliant of the same ct weight? The downside of an emerald cut is that they seem to lack the brilliance of the round stones & it's easier to see the flaws.

The reason I would choose Tiffany is because from when I was a baby I was a Tiffany girl. My favorite rattles were Tiffany & I had a Tiffany piggy bank. (I smashed it when it got full enough, but I still have the rattles.:) )I bought sterling silver jewelry from there a few years ago, and was very pleased with the craftsmanship.

I visited the store at a mall in Charlotte (SouthPark Mall), and I was loved the ring soo much when I tried it on. The ring is tapered toward the outer edge at the top, which really seems to show off the diamond more than one that isn't.

The reason I would choose Blue Nile, is that I could get a stone of 1/2 ct vs. 1/3 ct and choose from several settings. (though I prefer more simplistic. However, I would want to see it in person before he buys it, which isn't feasible. I already know he's planning to give it to me for Christmas (I got him a Wii for Christmas. shhh.) If we get it and don't like it or it's the wrong size, it may be more complicated to return and/or it may not be ready on time. Also, it just doesn't seem as secure to purchase one online and then look at it.

On the certificate, it says it's laser inscription says "H&A." Does that mean Hearts & Arrows?

Blue Nile:
Price:$2,124
Carat weight:0.50
Cut:Ideal
Color:G
Clarity:IF
Depth %:61.8%
Table %:55%
Symmetry:Excellent
Polish:Excellent
Girdle:Thin, faceted
Culet:None
Fluorescence:None
Measurements:5.12 x 5.14 x 3.17 mm

+ $300 18k white gold setting.

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3074&page=1&col=1&row=2&pos=4&set_shape=

OR

A Tiffany ring with a 1/3 ct G color vvs1 clarity, for $2000. (It's sparklyness could have blinded me if I had sensitive eyes).. The setting is the Tiffany setting - in white gold of course.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?subCategoryid=1001

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Welcome...

You seem to really like Tiffany so if it makes you happy and it's in your budget go for it. But I would say that if you're too young to be engaged, and you're looking at a ring that is essentially an ering, it'll be assumed you're engaged anyway. Have you thought about another style of ring that isn't an ering style so people wont constantly be asking if you're engaged?

Also, I thought Tiffany didn't do white gold, only platinum or 18k yellow gold?

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
You are right to steer clear of the mall stores. I think BN and Tiffany are two very good options.

Is there a reason that you want such high clarity? You could save quite a bit of money or get a bigger stone if you were willing to come down a bit on that. You will never be able to appreciate the difference between a VS2 and an IF with your naked eye, so be sure that you''re willing to pay for it. I would go down to VS2 or SI1 (if eye clean) in a RB without thinking twice. You are right about emerald cuts showing more flaws, although in the clarity ranges you are looking at now that shouldn''t be a problem. They will look a lot smaller though, and you should look at a few in your size range to make sure you still like the look.

Have you looked at WF yet? They have a deal now where they will give 10% off of a setting with purchase of one of their A Cut Above or Expert Selection diamonds. They also have a great upgrade policy so if you decide to get engaged down the road you could upgrade your promise stone instead of buying an entirely different one. You could pair this diamond ($2009 with PS discount), with this setting and come in under budget with a ring that will match or beat the Tiffany in sparkle and brilliance and knock it out in size.

As for buying online, just be sure to ask the advice of the nice people around here, and buy from a vendor with a good return policy. Be sure to go to a local jeweler and have your finger sized so that you know what to order. I understand your hesitation, but buying online will get you a much better stone for the money.

Good luck!!
9.gif

wasser

Rough_Rock
Just FYI, Blue Nile also has some discounts available in the form of $50 cashback from paypal and 5% cashback through fatwallet. I've not used either one so I cannot comment on how it all works.

I have heard that paypal accounts must have a confirmed address to get the cashback.

Oh, and I can say I've purchased twice through BlueNile and was quite pleased. :D Reading up on each vendor's return policies may alleviate some of your concern.

couturequeen17

Rough_Rock
You know, I actually assumed it was white gold, but that could add to the price difference if it is platinum. Maybe they just don''t do white gold in their engagement rings?

I am sooo happy I posted here; you are all so helpful. My bf left all the decision making up to me, which I am glad, but I''ve got to figure out so much. I just want a perfect diamond, even if that means it will be smaller, but I don''t know that I want to pay for anything that won''t make a huge difference. Tiffany supposedly also does upgrades, but I''ll probably keep this ring even when we do get an engagement ring.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I would go for the Tiffany ring if price isn't a problem. I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I believe Tiffany has a one time upgrade policy? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. And people may assume your engaged but big deal. People have assumed I've been engaged for 3+ years. It never caused me any problems, and in fact saved me from guys who kept hitting on me (which is actually why I kept my ring on my left hand for so long as it was meant to be a RHR). Good luck!

ETA: if the name isn't a big deal, listen to BigDiamonds, WF is a great company.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
We''ve bought tons of things from Blue Nile and been very happy with them. I''d highly recommend using them instead of paying for the Tiffany brand name...but that''s just me. Congrats on getting a promise ring!

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
If you love Tiffany''s and have always been a Tiffany''s girl and Tiffany''s promise ring is in your budget I would get that. But you are paying for the Brand name of Tiffany''s. However if you want a bigger diamond and might be even less than I would go for Blue Nile or Whiteflash. I would not worry if anyone thinks that you are engaged by seeing the promise ring. I do as well think the RB will look larger than the Emerald. Also the RB will sparkly more. I also agree with BigDiamonds that you can easily go down in clarity to atleast VVS or VS comfortably. I also agree with you that the Mall Jewerly Stores are not the best places to buy diamonds I think you can get better diamonds elsewhere.

couturequeen17

Rough_Rock
I also like this diamond:

http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_57-934_build.asp?cid=57&module=diamond&item=1101350

and this setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_57-934_build.asp?pos=1&cid=57&module=setting&item=934

What do you think?

wasser

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 4:15:34 AM
Author: couturequeen17
I just want a perfect diamond, even if that means it will be smaller, but I don't know that I want to pay for anything that won't make a huge difference.

You can see the premium you're paying for the IF. At Bluenile, VS2 diamonds with similar specifications (.5ct, ideal) have a price range of 1400-1500. Pricescope claims 1 in 100 people can see such inclusions with the naked eye. There are three grades between VS2 and IF. You can even drop lower into the SI range and get an eye-clean diamond that appears flawless to most people. If the diamond is "in-house" then they can give their opinion on if it is eye-clean. WF's definition of eye-clean:

'No inclusions visible face-up at a distance of 8-10 inches in natural lighting to a person with 20/20 vision.'

Of course, "your mileage may vary" and it's up to you to make the decision that makes you happy. :)

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I would get the promise ring from Blue Nile and save Tiffany''s for the engagement ring. Blue NIle is very easy to work with and they have high quality pieces as well.

HappyFish

Rough_Rock
I would get the Tiffany''s and upgrade it to a bigger ering in the future.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2007 1:20:31 PM
Author: HappyFish
I would get the Tiffany''s and upgrade it to a bigger ering in the future.

i agree.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Does Tiffany have an upgrade program?

WF does. This is an example of one of theirs...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany does offer an upgrade program, we used it to get my upgrade. If you''re a Tiffany girl, go with Tiffs. The thing I am thinking is that the ring will look like an ering...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 5:13:12 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Tiffany does offer an upgrade program, we used it to get my upgrade. If you''re a Tiffany girl, go with Tiffs. The thing I am thinking is that the ring will look like an ering...
Lisa, when I wasn''t ready to be engaged, and I got my now wife a promise ring...though yes it was smaller...we agreed she would wear it on her right hand. I''m not sure how what is usually done. That''s the approach we took.

couturequeen17

Rough_Rock
I'll wear it on my left hand, it's okay to look taken or even engaged for me. He feels that this kind of commitment shows we are serious- and I do too. We'll have been together for three years by January 7th. It's funny that my sister has been with her fiance for two years, yet she is twenty one (which is older than I am) and engaged.

If I go with Blue Nile or James Allen, I will most likely get a diamond that is slightly over half a carat. The problem with this is that my mother's engagement ring is slightly under half a carat, and we don't want to cause any tension- though I highly doubt she'd say anything. However, my mom says that maybe this has potential to be an engagement ring, and that almost 18 isn't too young. My boyfriend knows my tastes, so when we do get engaged, I want it to be a complete surprise to me and something he had planned out. I want it to be magical. I'd also prefer a bigger ring- and a large engagement party which will take a lot of planning.

I'm not sure I want to eventually trade in my ring. It just seems like something you do with cars, and I'm just a very sentimental person. Besides, when my beau graduates college with his chosen profession, we'll be hopefully be able to afford a ring in the $18-$22K range.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2007 2:41:47 AM
Author: couturequeen17
I''ll wear it on my left hand, it''s okay to look taken or even engaged for me. He feels that this kind of commitment shows we are serious- and I do too. We''ll have been together for three years by January 7th. It''s funny that my sister has been with her fiance for two years, yet she is twenty one (which is older than I am) and engaged.

If I go with Blue Nile or James Allen, I will most likely get a diamond that is slightly over half a carat. The problem with this is that my mother''s engagement ring is slightly under half a carat, and we don''t want to cause any tension- though I highly doubt she''d say anything. However, my mom says that maybe this has potential to be an engagement ring, and that almost 18 isn''t too young. My boyfriend knows my tastes, so when we do get engaged, I want it to be a complete surprise to me and something he had planned out. I want it to be magical. I''d also prefer a bigger ring- and a large engagement party which will take a lot of planning.

I''m not sure I want to eventually trade in my ring. It just seems like something you do with cars, and I''m just a very sentimental person. Besides, when my beau graduates college with his chosen profession, we''ll be hopefully be able to afford a ring in the $18-$22K range.
This is why I said to go with BN for now, and Tiffany for your e-ring...the e-ring is something that you will wear forever and the promise ring you might not after you are engaged. Good luck!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Coutureuqeen17, why do you need a diamond in your promise ring? There are lovely rings at Tiffany and all over that have the romantic effect without the diamond. That way there is no issue with your mother or anyone else. The first that comes to my mind is the Love collection at Cartier. I had a friend whose sister was "promised" in London with a Love ring when they were very young as well and where on a school trip in the summer. He went back to the same store and proposed to her, so it''s a sweet story.

I say get something meaningful, but to me, save the diamond (and money) and put it toward the future ring (or savings for a wedding). Just my $.02.

Good luck!
35.gif

couturequeen17

Rough_Rock
I definitely want a diamond, but $2500 has been set aside & that''s the budget. Though it''s a modest amount of money, it''s not a purchase we want to regret.

It''s just a matter of where, and I''m sooo torn between Tiffany, Blue Nile, and James Allen.

James Allen def has the widest selection of settings that will allow me to get a bigger diamond with my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results