shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany classic setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RD,
The Excel reproduction looks more refined than JA''s stock head setting. I much prefer that setting. As to "shaving down prongs", it''s just our terminology when a person asks the jeweller to make the prongs not as bulky. The jeweller will understand this and will make it as thin as possible without compromising the integrity of the setting.

As for timing, if you are confident about the stone, have JA ship the stone directly to Excel via overnight Fedex. When the ring is completed, Excel will overnight Fedex the ring back to you. This should leave Excel at least a week or 2 to set the stone which really should not take more than 1 day''s work, depending upon their schedule.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
If the stone is damaged or chipped while being set, will Excel be responsiible since they will only be selling you the setting and not the stone? This can be a problem. It is probably safer and less complicated to buy the stone and the setting at the same place.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Custom vs. Stock - the Excel Tiffany replica that costs ~$1k is handmade, and the head will be made to fit your diamond's proportions. This is why it takes two weeks - but it is totally worth it! Look at the pictures - see how the excel head fits the diamond so much better? No gaps? The diamond is set lower and the prongs can be more delicate without compromising the setting because it fits the diamond well. The JA setting is stock - meaning they use a generic head that comes off the shelf and "fits" a range of diamond sizes - say 1 ct to 1.5 ct. It will not fit as precisely. Excel also offers cheaper Tiffany-style settings that use stock pieces. The picture on this thread, though, is of the handmade more-expensive setting.

As an inbetween, you can do modifications to a stock head to make it less clunky. I am not sure what whiteflash does for their standard Tiffany-style setting, but whiteflash has modified a stock head for other lovely settings posted on pricescope by shaving down the prongs (making them thinner) or using a smallish stock head (relative to the diamond size) to get a certain proportion. I can think of Mara's ring and Lady Loves Luxury in particular. So I would be confident that WF would make modifications to its head if you requested, as we have seen them modify stock heads on here to nice effect. As well, their standard Tiffany-style setting pictures look better proportioned than the JA one, not sure if its the stone size or finish details or what.

Last, yes, you have figured out that you can buy a stone and setting from different companies. But there are some concerns about setting risk that Solange brings up, which makes it more convenient to buy both from the same place.

There is some small risk that the diamond will chip during setting. Generally, if you buy the ring and the stone from the same place, they seller will assume the risk for chipping during setting, and replace your diamond if it chips because you bought the diamond from them. If you just buy a setting, normally the setting-seller will NOT asssume the risk because the setting is relatively inexpensive relative to the stone. It is also very difficult for a private individual such as yourself to purchase insurance for a loose stone to protect it during setting. Sometimes people will purchase a cheap temporary setting from the diamond-seller so that their "set" stone and ring can be insured privately during subsequent resettings (into the final setting), as insurance usually covers resetting but not the initial setting of a loose stone. Of course this starts adding on extra fees.

I would call Excel and see if they will assume setting risk for a loose stone in their custom setting. They probably woln't, but they might.

As a less-good alternative, you could have excel make the setting from the stone's measurements and ship the ring to JA for setting, if JA will assume the risk for setting their diamond in another store's setting. This is not quite as good as the finish touches will be done by JA and not the setting-seller, but if you must have insurance during setting this could work.

With all this shipping talk, don't forget about appraisal! Add that into your shipping tree as well, especially if you want the loose stone appraised (which not all people do but is recommended.)

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Hi all - and thanks Chrono, Solange and Cara,

I have made my decision!!
23.gif

I have purchased both the ring and stone from JA (I had the same concerns about liability/responsibility). In fact, there were two other concerns: 1) NY sales tax would have to be paid to have the diamond shipped (adding an additional $400 to the total cost picture) and 2) I felt Excel was more of a mass market place (although they were friendly they said they were extremely busy at Xmas and could not guarantee the date I needed it by).

The ring I selected is a custom made Solstice (maybe in this situation because I requested a special yellow golden ring with a platinum basket?), and I have therefore asked JA''s designer to make the prongs as similar as possible to the Tiffany original setting (thinner prongs, similar low basket). They could accommodate all this they promised, and at no extra cost. In fact, they had some in-house ex-Tiffany experience they could leverage - and without breaking copyrights. Absolutely brilliant!
31.gif

FYI, the closing of the sales process was effortlessly; although it required confirmation to two automated emails (to confirm some things) and a fax where you sign a disclaimer regarding paying import taxes, I felt happy they take security seriously.

Now, I can''t wait to see the result. Worst case, I''ll just get my future fiancee another ring if it really turns out to be bad but I have high hopes!! One has to take a risk! (as if asking the big question isn''t enough!)
21.gif

Superb advice here.
35.gif
Thanks again!

RD

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I''m very pleased with my WF tiffany repro. Here is a pic. WF is WONDERFUL to work with!

JenniferOwens_0613collageresized1jennjennjenn.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats! i can''t wait to see it!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, your ring will be considered semi-custom since you are doing a 2 tone ring. It is good that JA will modify the setting to make it daintier and more feminine. I''m sure it''ll be lovely. Just remember to return and post pictures because many will want to see how JA''s replica looks like (as well as oogle your wonderful ring
9.gif
).

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/21/2007 8:42:19 AM
Author: Chrono
Yes, your ring will be considered semi-custom since you are doing a 2 tone ring. It is good that JA will modify the setting to make it daintier and more feminine. I'm sure it'll be lovely. Just remember to return and post pictures because many will want to see how JA's replica looks like (as well as oogle your wonderful ring
9.gif
).

Absolutely. Will revert in approx 4 weeks...! (assuming I picked the right ring size!
5.gif
)

Now I've got to tell the concierge to keep quiet about a certain parcel from the U.S.
2.gif

(thanks belle!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results