shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
What you're saying, Maria, may be true and I wouldn't be much surprised if the Duke of Grafton has another tiara (a fringe) in his collection. I hope to see a clearer photo some day.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300309482|2873457 said:
What you're saying, Maria, may be true and I wouldn't be much surprised if the Duke of Grafton has another tiara (a fringe) in his collection. I hope to see a clearer photo some day.

Bobby

We both know that the Fringe tiara was a very popular style in the early 1900's...could easily be that quite a few of the dukedoms have a fringe tiara laying around!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the sunray-pattern or fringe necklaces/tiaras were first made even before the Victorian era, which means around the second decade of XIXc. And they became quite fashionable by the end the century, untill the rise of Art Deco.
At the moment I'm sure that the Duke of Westminster owns a fringe tiara, previously the property of HRH Mary, Princess Royal & Css of Harewood. I can't tell if other British aristocrats have any exaples of fringe tiaras simply because the don't have occassions to wear them. Of course it's possible that the Duke of Grafton owns one.
In Denmark last year a lady wore a fringe tiara at the private party for HM The Queen's 70th birthday:

Bobby

Diademer 14.jpeg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a picture of a Westminister Fringe tiara?

I know they have the pink spinal tiara (one of my all time favorites) and the cyclamen tiara. How many tiaras do the Westministers have?

pinkspinal22.jpg

Cyclamenwestministerjpg.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Of course Maria, I have photos of Princess Mary's fringe tiara. But I can offer you something better - links with photos and information about the tiaras in The Duke's collection
The fringe - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/mary-lascelles-harewood/princess-mary-fringe.htm
The spinel parure - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/bagration-parure.htm
A pearl & diamond tiara - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/pearl-tiara-westminster.htm
A leaf tiara by Faberge - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/myrtle-leaves-tiara.htm
A diamond & enamel tiara by Chaumet - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/chaumet-email-diadem.htm
The floral tiara/necklace by Faberge - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/cyclam-flowers-faberge.htm
A diamond tiara that was sold - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/arcot-diamonds.htm

Enjoy!
Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300494902|2874958 said:
Of course Maria, I have photos of Princess Mary's fringe tiara. But I can offer you something better - links with photos and information about the tiaras in The Duke's collection
The fringe - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/mary-lascelles-harewood/princess-mary-fringe.htm
The spinel parure - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/bagration-parure.htm
A pearl & diamond tiara - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/pearl-tiara-westminster.htm
A leaf tiara by Faberge - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/myrtle-leaves-tiara.htm
A diamond & enamel tiara by Chaumet - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/chaumet-email-diadem.htm
The floral tiara/necklace by Faberge - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/cyclam-flowers-faberge.htm
A diamond tiara that was sold - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/westminster/arcot-diamonds.htm

Enjoy!
Bobby

A puddle of drool has formed on my desk.

Thank for these delectable pictures and info! I knew about the Duke of Westiminster, I knew the pink spinel parure was purchased as a wedding present...I knew about Lady Tamara from her wedding to Edward van Custem, but the final neuron didn't connect until now looking at these sites that these are all the same family! I didn't realize the Duke of Westminister didn't use the name Westminister as a surname and that the Grosvenor's are the holders of the Duchy of Westminister.

Bobby, you rock!!! :appl:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I'm really, really happy that you enjoyed these pages, Maria. Bit it's Ursula, the person that put all these photos and info together that we should thank!

One remark - It's not the Duchy of Westminster but the Dukedom of Westminster ;-)

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300633858|2875729 said:
One remark - It's not the Duchy of Westminster but the Dukedom of Westminster ;-)

Bobby

Explain that to me Bobby...I've heard reference to Prince Charles and Duchy of Cornwall. He's the Duke of Cornwall, Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall. So why is it the Dukedom of Westminister and not the Duchy of Westminister when their is a Duke and Duchess of Westminister?

I love the feeling of anticipation when I know I'm about to learn something new!!!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
When is someone finally going to design a nice tanzanite tiara? Seriously, this is the best that is out there?

tanzaitetiara.png

littlestinker

Rough_Rock
www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/dressfortheoccasion

I found this site with great pictures and info from the QEII exhibition; I've attached pictures of the 2 Tiaras I saw there. Go to the site. It also lists a exhibit catalog I think I will get. Of course, if it's in England it might take it a while to get to me in Texas.
Deborah

Brazil aquamarine Tiara.jpg

Vladimir Tiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
littlestinker|1300737134|2876720 said:

I found this site with great pictures and info from the QEII exhibition; I've attached pictures of the 2 Tiaras I saw there. Go to the site. It also lists a exhibit catalog I think I will get. Of course, if it's in England it might take it a while to get to me in Texas.
Deborah

If I may quote a song - Please excuse me I don't mean to be rude, but as the person that started this thred I should say that your post is not about tiaras from nobel and celebrity collections from around the world. It's about two royal tiaras, and these have been, for the past 3+ years, discussed on the Royal Jewels thred, in which you post as well.

Your post, dear Deborah, is really welcome and I'm glad that you liked the Royal Collection's Dress for the Occasion microsite.

Regrdars,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1300668717|2876097 said:
Explain that to me Bobby...I've heard reference to Prince Charles and Duchy of Cornwall. He's the Duke of Cornwall, Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall. So why is it the Dukedom of Westminister and not the Duchy of Westminister when their is a Duke and Duchess of Westminister?

I love the feeling of anticipation when I know I'm about to learn something new!!!

I actually find it reather hard to understand as in Bg wemake a differency between a Duchy and a Dukedom. But I'll try to explain the way that I wnderstand it.
There are only two duchies in England - Lancaster and Cornwall. Lancaster is held by the monarch and provides his/her income; Corwall - by the eldest son of the monarch and the it provides the income that the heir (currently HRH The Prince of Wales) uses to make ends meet.
Other peers in the United Kingdom that are Dukes have Dukedoms.

I personally think that a Duchy (f.e. the Duchy of Brunswick & Lüneburg) is a sovereign state, while a person that holds a dukedom (f.e. the Dukedom of Westminster) is a wealthy/prominent member of society or a land owner that has in some way earned his title (be it merits personally to the monarch, or as PM, or during war).

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but I hope it's at least a bit clearer to you now.

Bobby

littlestinker

Rough_Rock

Deborah

If I may quote a song - Please excuse me I don't mean to be rude, but as the person that started this thred I should say that your post is not about tiaras from nobel and celebrity collections from around the world. It's about two royal tiaras, and these have been, for the past 3+ years, discussed on the Royal Jewels thred, in which you post as well.

Your post, dear Deborah, is really welcome and I'm glad that you liked the Royal Collection's Dress for the Occasion microsite.

Regrdars,

I didn't see these tiaras on this thread and I just double checked. There's more jewelery on this site and I was trying to share. It won't happen again.
Deborah

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1297339431|2848362 said:
Bobby, do you have any info on E.T.'s tiara from Mike Todd? Wonder what its history is; I presume it wasn't new-made.

--- Laurie

Hi Laurie! I'm so sorry that I haven't replied to you so far... I don't know why I haven't missed your reply.

Yes, the tiara wasn't a new creation. In My love affair with jewellery it's said that the tiara is c.1880 (so Victorian).
I wonder what will happen to the tiara now? Who will wear it, if anybody?
Bobby

et14.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1300747773|2876873 said:
LadyMaria|1300668717|2876097 said:

I actually find it reather hard to understand as in Bg wemake a differency between a Duchy and a Dukedom. But I'll try to explain the way that I wnderstand it.
There are only two duchies in England - Lancaster and Cornwall. Lancaster is held by the monarch and provides his/her income; Corwall - by the eldest son of the monarch and the it provides the income that the heir (currently HRH The Prince of Wales) uses to make ends meet.
Other peers in the United Kingdom that are Dukes have Dukedoms.

I personally think that a Duchy (f.e. the Duchy of Brunswick & Lüneburg) is a sovereign state, while a person that holds a dukedom (f.e. the Dukedom of Westminster) is a wealthy/prominent member of society or a land owner that has in some way earned his title (be it merits personally to the monarch, or as PM, or during war).

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but I hope it's at least a bit clearer to you now.

Bobby

So to be brief for England, a Duchy is only for a member of the royal family: either the monarch or the heir. Everything else is a Dukedom.

Outside of England, a duchy would be like it's own little country, until it was absorbed by something bigger, like Germany. But the rulers of the duchy were able to keep their title and castles.

Am I close?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you understood what I wrote, dear Maria!

Regards,
Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
princessfeedme|1301815416|2886490 said:
Hi everyone,
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I just stumbled across this website today: http://coloreddiamond.info/forum-chit-chat/do-you-have-a-dream-tiara/0/ It's all about tiaras - not just European but there's a nice mix of Middle Eastern and Asian royal tiaras! The Malaysian tiaras are especially scrumptious :lickout: Enjoy!

That is an interesting link! They had a lot of non-royal tiaras that I enjoyed looking at. But, I will have to say, that I think the people who post on this thread and the Royal Jewels thread know a lot more about the people and the history (Bobby and Alexander come to mind). I saw a lot of pictures labeled wrong (like getting Princess Lalla Salma of Morroco mixed up with Princess Lalla Asna of Morroco) or pictures of royal tiaras that the poster said s/he didn't know who or what they were (like Crown Princess Maxima wearing the Ruby Peacock tiara).

Here was one of my favroites from that thread...this wouldn't be a bad one for a certain Catherine...

classic tiara.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
So my birthday was last week and DH got me a pretty pair of amethyst earrings. I already had an amethyst necklace. I need this to complete the parure, don't you think?

amethyst tiara 1.jpg_thumb.png

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This one's very nice tiara, Lady Maria. I love the amethysts and the diamond elements in between them. Victorian perhaps? Thanks for sharing it with us.

By the way, are you planing to wear a tiara on April 29? I know you'll be working then, but wouldn't that be a nice way to celebrate the happy occasion ;-)

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
With the time difference, I plan on getting up at 4 in the morning that day to watch until I have to leave for school at 6:30. That will be the equivalent of 10 am to 12:30 London time. That should give me enough pomp and circumstance to tide me over until I get home and can watch everything online. I might tuck on a tiara during that time, but not when I go to school since we'll be doing state testing. But I definately planned on putting on one of my old formal gowns and a tiara in the evening when I am watching stuff online!

You've seen my collection...which tiara do you think I should wear???

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1303169147|2899496 said:
With the time difference, I plan on getting up at 4 in the morning that day to watch until I have to leave for school at 6:30. That will be the equivalent of 10 am to 12:30 London time. That should give me enough pomp and circumstance to tide me over until I get home and can watch everything online. I might tuck on a tiara during that time, but not when I go to school since we'll be doing state testing. But I definately planned on putting on one of my old formal gowns and a tiara in the evening when I am watching stuff online!

You've seen my collection...which tiara do you think I should wear???

Where is your collection on display, LadyMaria? I am sure you will look delightful in any tiara you choose! I, also, have been taking an interest in the upcoming royal wedding. I think that it is because I received an e-mail notice from a forum of which I am a member, telling me of all the special threads they have running about the wedding! I couldn't resist joining in.

Bobby-as always I found you a fount of knowledge. I had no idea what the difference was between a duchy and a dukedom until I read through the last pages of this thread. Thank you so much for for putting that into writing! I can probably teach you nothing new about about the British monarchy, but the upcoming wedding has taught me a thing or two! I just learned that the Queen is the Duke of Lancaster! Apparently the monarch always is and has been since The War of The Roses! Well! You could have knocked me over with a feather!!! Who would have thunk it???

Deb, off to read some more about the wedding!!!
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1303175807|2899599 said:
Where is your collection on display, LadyMaria? I am sure you will look delightful in any tiara you choose! I, also, have been taking an interest in the upcoming royal wedding. I think that it is because I received an e-mail notice from a forum of which I am a member, telling me of all the special threads they have running about the wedding! I couldn't resist joining in.

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Look at pages 1-2 of this thread. It's also buried on the Royal Jewels thread, but I have no clue what pages.

I heard a story this morning about a little girl, probably around 8 years old, who has benefited from one of Prince William's charities, and she's been given a invitation to the wedding. She proudly showed off her dress (ivory with rosebuds and a pink jacket) and said she will be wearing a tiara. How cute....just hope there isn't some stuffy palace courtier who makes her take it off!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1303218343|2899906 said:
AGBF|1303175807|2899599 said:
Where is your collection on display, LadyMaria?

Look at pages 1-2 of this thread.

LadyMaria!-Aha! Not only did I see your charming tiara collection (on your charming person), but I finally got to understand how you came to have the style, "Princess of Puke" which has had me a bit bewildered for years! I very much enjoyed reading about how you and your husband decided on your styles and titles and identified totally with your lifestyle and many of the titles you hold! My charm bracelet tells a tale similar to your tiaras! Please carry on. Thank you so much for sharing!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
:read:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome AGBF! I'm glad you enjoyed them!

While grocery shopping this morning I spotted a magazine with a corner that said "Queens' $1 million gift to Kate!" Now, I know to take these with a grain of salt, but I took a look. It was discussing which tiara the Queen will give to Catherine Middleton. It had it down to the Strathmore Rose tiara, Teck Crescent, and the Russian Kokoshink.

Seriously, it took a magazine, 5 months to figure this out? We had the first two on that list picked out within one week of the engagement!

It just goes to show that we on the Royal Jewels/Tiara threads are smarter than most of those magazine editors, eh? :))

DOCSKI

Rough_Rock
Tiara's are my favorite piece of Jewelry, as they are the ultimate in jewelry design and have entire parures or collections built around them. My families tiara (old eastern European aristocratic family) is held in a death-grip by my oldest cousin since she was the first granddaughter to get married she was given it by my grandparents. So I decided to make one for my branch of the family.

Below is my wife's Tiara, I designed and had it made for her. Its solid silver (unfortunately making it rather heavy, nearly 2 pounds) with Goshenite and cultured Pearls. Sadly it was originally designed a bit larger with several other peaks and more pearls and goshenite but silver being heavier then I planned for caused it to fold/collapse on itself and it had to be rebuilt, my poor jeweler nearly had a stroke. Being in the military we have several white tie balls a year we attend, so its actually a piece she gets to use instead of just sitting in a box.

DSCF2043.jpg

I am planning a few other tiaras, first off I have learned from my mistake and I will have my jewelers make the frame from titanium to lower the overall weight and increase the structural strength. I am thinking of making a fringe tiara from titanium/gold and either grossularite garnets or heliodor(golden Beryl), while both have the right color to produce that sun beam effect i am leaning towards the grossularite's due to the higher refractive index and dispersion.

I am also toying with a garnet and amber piece in honor of my polish heritage, but i am still working out how to make the piece not look dark or from the middle ages.
DOCSKI
-lover of all things shinny and usually not so new
-pretension is not an article of clothing or accessory its a attitude

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
That is very cool DOCSKI! I'd love to see some sketches of what you have in mind for other tiaras! Your wife is a lucky lady...my DH tolerates my mania for pretty sparkly things, but hasn't designed a custom tiara for me yet!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
DOCSKI, thanks for sharing the photo and story of your wife's tiara. It's so nice to hear that you dsigned it and even more so that your Lady has the chance to wear it every now and then. I'm looking forward to the future tiara-project.

Regards,
Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool tiara! I love that it is being worn and that you have plans for more.

Just a piece of advice. Titanium can only be soldered in very special conditions, involving inert gases and a separate chamber, so making a complex piece of jewelry from it will be very, very hard and very expensive. Most titanium jewelry are rather simple in construction because of this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results