shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I decided that this forum needs a thread specially dedicated to possibly the most formal of all jewels - the tiaras! Some of you have worn them on their weddings and other occasions, some have only admired them behind show cases or/and in photos.
This is the place where we can discuss the tiaras from owr own, from nobel and celebrity collections from around the world (as well as other tiaras of course), their use, the design, etc.

And here are the first four tiaras in this thred. They were all auctioned last week by Christie's:

An Edwardian diamond and pearl tiara/necklace
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...8206&sid=eaf65078-3da1-4526-a7c7-39810d68d055

An antique diamond tiara/necklace
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...8229&sid=eaf65078-3da1-4526-a7c7-39810d68d055

An Art Deco aquamarine diamond necklace/tiara, by Lacloche Frères
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...8463&sid=eaf65078-3da1-4526-a7c7-39810d68d055

And the star of the auction and one of the prettioest sapphire tiaras - The Portland sapphire, diamond and natural pearl tiara
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...8513&sid=eaf65078-3da1-4526-a7c7-39810d68d055

I hope you all enjoy this thread and we'll see a lot of replies!

Regards,
Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Here's one of my favorites. Very unusual. Pic comes from an auction catalog w/no info on who owned it or history, except that it dates to around 1900.

--- Laurie

Gold, conch pearl,diamond tiara c. 1900.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, can you please give us some background of the family behind the Portland jewels sale? I'm wondering about their history and whether it was the family who sold these things at action.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Also, a general question. I read (just someone's opinion, I can't remember where I read it) that Audrey Hepburn was kind of the last famous person to wear a tiara in Breakfast at Tiffany's and that tiaras have gone out of style. Have they gone out of style and if so why?

It seems like women wear less jewelry than they did in the early part of the 20th century and other than (maybe) society becoming less formal I'm not sure why that should be. I'd rather see more jewels not less. :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Danny, I wondered the same about the Portland sale. According to what I found, the title went extinct when the 7th Duke died in 1990 without a male heir. His grandson lives at Welbeck Abbey, the family seat but, descended from the female line, I guess he can't inherit the title. The oldest daughter of the Duke owned almost the entire Welbeck estate. She died in 2008. Likely there were death duties to be paid, ergo, the sale. Couldn't dig up anything directly mentioning a reason.

On your question re tiaras, your guess is probably right -- life is simply less formal now. Tiaras seem to be in plenty of use for State occasions -- the Scandinavian RFs make such stylish use of them -- but it's easy to see why otherwise they're not so often worn. Hair styles aren't made for them these days; hard to fix them & have them look good with short hair; and I imagine most modern women find them uncomfortable & don't want to bother. I read an interview w/the Duchess of (I think) Roxburgh once, where she mentioned the inconvenience -- before a function, her hairdresser came to do her hair with the tiara in the morning (when he had the time open) & she had to wear it all day. She said she sat at the kitchen table in her tiara & jeans, giving her children their tea. The famous picture of Princess Margaret in the bath, wearing her tiara, is often unfairly maligned as evidence of royal arrogance, but actually, her hairdresser must have been able to do the styling in the afternoon. He could hardly hang around until she got out of the tub an hour before they left for the ball.

--- Laurie

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Omg.....that conch pearl Tierra is to die for. It's so simple but is so precious!

I have always wanted to take all of my stones and turn them into tiara!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291818101|2790880 said:
The famous picture of Princess Margaret in the bath, wearing her tiara, is often unfairly maligned as evidence of royal arrogance, but actually, her hairdresser must have been able to do the styling in the afternoon. He could hardly hang around until she got out of the tub an hour before they left for the ball.

Laurie, interesting. You know, I never thought about hair and hairdressers being a part of it.

Here's a link with the famous picture.

http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2009/02/glumleys.html

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Really interesting article, Danny. Thanks.

Most people don't think about getting tiaras on, but you can't slap them on your head like a headband. They really require a hairdresser or (in the old days) a skilled lady's dresser. Once they're on, you have to move fairly carefully to keep them & hairdo in elegant order. See, I know this from wearing my own so often.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291827985|2791045 said:
See, I know this from wearing my own so often.

--- Laurie

Laurie, LOL!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most people don't think about getting tiaras on, but you can't slap them on your head like a headband. They really require a hairdresser or (in the old days) a skilled lady's dresser. Once they're on, you have to move fairly carefully to keep them & hairdo in elegant order. See, I know this from wearing my own so often.

--- Laurie

HI:

You've got a tiara AND that (avatar) ring? Holy moly girl, you must be royalty! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No, Danny is. He's got the crown.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby has one too. :saint:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Of course, I love this new thread!!!! :twirl:

Should I repost the story of my avatar and the pictures that go with it?

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
On the subject of hair, the Munn tiara book has a whole chapter devoted to the topic. He says that that there are probably only one or two hairdressers left in London who know how to properly secure a tiara. It is actually better to not wash or condition your hair for a couple of days prior to wearing a tiara.

I know when I wear mine, I have to twist my hair in and around it. And it's hard to put hairspray on it because I don't want to coat my tairas in hairpsray.

queen.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria, you look like royalty instead of a mere Lady!

Kate Middleton is young enough that she'd look best in a small tiara imho. My choices for her would be, first, the Harewood sapphire tiara, designed by Prince Albert for QV, if Kate could borrow it. The sapphires would be wonderful on her & go with the famous ring. (Besides, it's one of my favorites of all time.)

While we're borrowing, the Iveagh Tiara, originally Queen Mary's, now in the Gloucester family. Pic of Lady Rose Windsor wearing it for her wedding.

The Strathmore tiara might be nice on Kate. Found a photo-shopped image of what it would look like.

And the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland is delicate enough for her. It will be great fun to see what she eventually chooses -- she may surprise us all & not wear one at all. But I hope she does.

--- Laurie

GBandIreland.jpg

katestrathmore.jpg

IveaghRoseWindsor.jpg

HarewoodTiara.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ahem, this, I'm sorry, blows my mind. Was slightly stunned to come upon this pic. I don't like seeing Camilla in the Bow-Knot tiara, it's too identified w/Diana -- I'm sure Diana wouldn't give a hoot but I do! She certainly has a right to wear whatever the Queen offers her, but I think her sensitivity is gravely lacking to have put this on. (Even though it suits her much better than that honking Delhi Durbar one.)

--- Laurie

r0dro0.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1291928390|2792387 said:

It will be great fun to see what she eventually chooses -- she may surprise us all & not wear one at all. But I hope she does.

--- Laurie
*blushes* Thanks! It's an activity I do with my students...when we are studying different types of rocks, I tell them that I am the queen (hence the outfit...dress code said I had to wear the shawl so there wouldn't be bare shoulders) and they are bringing me gifts. It's a fun way to go over igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks and characteristics of all the rocks.

I will be really upset if she goes for no tiara at all!!! :((

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1291928671|2792391 said:
Ahem, this, I'm sorry, blows my mind. Was slightly stunned to come upon this pic. I don't like seeing Camilla in the Bow-Knot tiara, it's too identified w/Diana -- I'm sure Diana wouldn't give a hoot but I do! She certainly has a right to wear whatever the Queen offers her, but I think her sensitivity is gravely lacking to have put this on. (Even though it suits her much better than that honking Delhi Durbar one.)

--- Laurie

I don't think Camilla wore the Cambridge. I think this is Photoshopped. She purposely refuses to use the title Princess of Wales, so I doubt she would wear this tiara.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1291928390|2792387 said:

Kate Middleton is young enough that she'd look best in a small tiara imho. My choices for her would be, first, the Harewood sapphire tiara, designed by Prince Albert for QV, if Kate could borrow it. The sapphires would be wonderful on her & go with the famous ring. (Besides, it's one of my favorites of all time.)
--- Laurie

It's one of my favorites of all time too.

Cordata

Rough_Rock

--- Laurie
This picture is definitely a photoshop version. Camilla never used the Lover's Knot tiara. So far she only wore her own family tiara and two royal tiaras: the Delhi Durbar tiara and the honeycomb tiara.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Well, that feels better! I hope you're right; it was a little shocking. Sheesh, we're back to the same thing as days before cameras -- then, you couldn't get a picture of anything; now, you can't believe the ones you see. Plus ca change.....

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

--- Laurie
The photo is Photoshopped, dear Laurie! Don't worry, The Queen and The Duchess are not that stupid to cause such a scandal or at least embarrassment. So far Elizabeth II has offered Camilla two tiaras to wear - The Delhi Durbar and the Honeycomb.
The original photo was taken in 2007 to mark the 60th birthday of The Duchess of Cornwall:

656984.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1291917102|2792180 said:
Of course, I love this new thread!!!! :twirl:

Should I repost the story of my avatar and the pictures that go with it?

Of course you should! That's a very sweet story and I'm sure most aren't familiar with it:) And what better place than this thread?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
In reply to Danny and Laurie about the Portlands and the use of tiaras these days:

When Lady Anne Cavendish-Bentinck, eldest daughter of the 7th Duke of Portland, died in 2008 her estate was inherited by her younger sister's son. Lady Anne inherited everything but the titles from her father in 1977 (including the jewels, the art collection and the family seat). The Dukedom went extinct in 1990 when the 9th Duke died, while the Earldom was inherited by a distant relative. Obviously Lady Anne's nephew had to sell the jewels in order to help pay the death duties. At the time of her death, Lady Anne was #511 in the Times Rich List.

Re tiaras - Yes, we're getting less and less formal as the time goes by and to most people tiaras seem old-fashioned. In my view that's a great pitty. But I can't completely agree that today's hairstyle is the main problem - look at Sophie Wessex and Diana Wales - both have/had shorter hair yet wear/wore tiaras. Of course I seeing women with tiaras loose hair gives me shudders. It just doesn't make justice to the tiara and the woman.
I doubt Audrey Hepburn was the last celb to wear a tiara. There's Elton John's White tie and Tiaras party, the Raisa Gorbachova gala and so on when some famous people bother following to the dress-code. Not to forget some celbs' wedding ands I guess the person that made the comment didn't think of royalty and Liz Taylor...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

--- Laurie

I totally agree, Laurie! You can't put a tiara in the last minute...at least if you're not Queen Elizabeth II. I'm in love with the gorgeous hairdos of the Scandinavian royals, particularly Queen Margrethe II, Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria.

A personal request - Laurie, would you please post some photos of your tiara(s) if possible?

Regards,
Bobby

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if my vote counts at all for the wedding tiara, I vote for the sapphire tiara. That has to be the most beautiful tiara I have ever seen. Ever. Ever. Beautiful.

If I weren't such an old dinosaur I would be able to paste and cut. but I can't so.....

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Prince Albert had a real talent for jewelry design, didn't he, Amber? The other things he had made for QV are beautiful too.

Bobby & LadyMaria, the only tiara I ever had was a rhinestone one when I was about 5! That was a joke, Danny's the only one who got it. But if the Gloucesters ever want to flog that sapphire tiara.....I'd sell my house to have it! I'd wear it walking the dogs, going to the post office & grocery store, heck, I'd sleep in it!

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Well, Laurie, if the rhinestone tiara is still in your possession you can still post photos if you wish. Nobody said this is thread about real tiaras only.

Queen Victoria's sapphire tiara isn't with the Gloucesters, though they do own a nice sapphire tiara. QV's is the property of the Earl of Harewood, the son of Mary, Princess Royal and a great-great-great grandson of the original owner.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here's my tiara story...

When we moved out of our first apartment, I discovered the joys of spackling. Seriously, spackling compound is some of the coolest stuff ever!!!! I was trying to find every hole in the wall I could so I could spackle. My husband laughed at me, and later bought a silly little tiara and said I was the "Queen of Spackle."

Ever since then, I get tiaras to mark memorable events. I also like doing cakes and have won a couple of teaching awards, so I have the Countess of Cakes tiara, the Tsarina of Teaching, and Madame Mad Scientist. We moved quite a bit during DH's graduate studies, so there is also the "Princess of Packing."

A few years ago, my son and daughter were both sick with a stomach flu. They spent an entire night alternating vomiting . Just as I'd get one bed cleaned up and changed, the other would throw up. It was a long night...henceforth, my new title, the Princess of Puke. And DH got me a tiara to go with it. He tolerate's my mania for pretty sparkly things. :))

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Here's is the Countess of Cakes. Most of my tiaras I wear in the privacy of my own home, but this one can be worn as a headband without looking ridiculous. I actually just wore it last night to a Christmas party!

cakes.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results