shape
carat
color
clarity

Tianyu OEC lab diamonds

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh get it @dk168 !! Meant to be maybe...it's very lovely I think.

Hmmm, apart from the piggy bank for blings being empty at the moment, I&R has old cuts loose diamonds on their Etsy site for not much more!

Seems daft to get a lab/MMD stone when I can spend a bit more and get an earth-mined stone!

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, apart from the piggy bank for blings being empty at the moment, I&R has old cuts loose diamonds on their Etsy site for not much more!

Seems daft to get a lab/MMD stone when I can spend a bit more and get an earth-mined stone!

Yeah I am sort of feeling this way right now. It's not a huge savings and I am not sure it is worth it. Plus I have decided I am not going to order from India. Like China it might be a nightmare to get my money back should something go wrong. So it's not worth (to me) the risk.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I did it arrived this week and I am thrilled with it! The seller was amazing to work with I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him! I will do a full post with details once I get a jeweller to give it the once over here (just to be 100% sure all is as expected as this is a first purchase) but I was so happy with how it turned out, I already have two more projects in mind that I will be going back to him for!

Here’s a few (crappy light ha ha) pictures!

7A69E2EA-2B63-4E8F-91C1-0CB2336EFDAF.jpeg 15FDE143-2EBF-4497-8FCD-E97B936FBD7A.jpeg

Beautiful. Ovalicious! Wear in good health and blingy joy. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I am sort of feeling this way right now. It's not a huge savings and I am not sure it is worth it. Plus I have decided I am not going to order from India. Like China it might be a nightmare to get my money back should something go wrong. So it's not worth (to me) the risk.

I know what you mean, and I too would be cautious if I were to spend a lot of money!

For me personally, for an OEC, it does not need to be a perfect cut, high colour or high clarity, and some of the I&R offerings are really nice with big petals and large cutlets that I love for that cut.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean, and I too would be cautious if I were to spend a lot of money!

For me personally, for an OEC, it does not need to be a perfect cut, high colour or high clarity, and some of the I&R offerings are really nice with big petals and large cutlets that I love for that cut.

For me, what makes an OEC special is that it was cut a long time ago and has history. Among many other things I adore about old cuts. So I am not even sure an old cut can be replicated in that way. I have seen new "old" cuts and while I appreciate their perfect optics something about them leaves me cold. I cannot put my finger on it per se. Now will this translate to lab OECs? Maybe. Probably? IDK. I am not in a rush to buy anything right now so will patiently wait for the right stones to present themselves to me as old cut studs. If, when they do, I still want old cut studs. LOL a girl can change her mind if you kwim. I will let time do the telling. 8)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread @missy - I was looking at OEC studs, and was considering buying lab for savings. i am more than willing to take a risk and order internationally, but am far away from actually purchasing anything as I just tapped my bling budget with a moonstone ring i couldn't say no to...it hails from the UK, and I also bought a sapphire directly from a wholesale vendor in Sri Lanka where it would have cost substantially more from the USA - so i AM willing to play ball!

hoping to buy a pair of modest, first time studs by the end of next year. but maybe should just get mined...i *do* want high color studs which is both rare and expensive! although would be happy with 1-1.5 tcw. I feel the same way you describe about AVRs - so beautiful, but don't "click" with me - I imagine I would care less for earrings and might enjoy them...

I am curious about price if folks are willing to share, the Tianyu website is a chaotic mess (which absolutely pains me as someone who is getting an advanced degree User Experience Design). i wish they would trade me a killer pair of studs for me to re-architect their website :lol:

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread @missy - I was looking at OEC studs, and was considering buying lab for savings. i am more than willing to take a risk and order internationally, but am far away from actually purchasing anything as I just tapped my bling budget with a moonstone ring i couldn't say no to...it hails from the UK, and I also bought a sapphire directly from a wholesale vendor in Sri Lanka where it would have cost substantially more from the USA - so i AM willing to play ball!

hoping to buy a pair of modest, first time studs by the end of next year. but maybe should just get mined...i *do* want high color studs which is both rare and expensive! although would be happy with 1-1.5 tcw. I feel the same way you describe about AVRs - so beautiful, but don't "click" with me - I imagine I would care less for earrings and might enjoy them...

I am curious about price if folks are willing to share, the Tianyu website is a chaotic mess (which absolutely pains me as someone who is getting an advanced degree User Experience Design). i wish they would trade me a killer pair of studs for me to re-architect their website :lol:

I wish that Tianyu & all of the jewelry vendors on Alibaba would enlist your services to redesign their websites! I find all of them completely confusing, and user un-friendly to say the least!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wish that Tianyu & all of the jewelry vendors on Alibaba would enlist your services to redesign their websites! I find all of them completely confusing, and user un-friendly to say the least!

Hah! Maybe I should start submitting proposals to them! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is wonky your ring name? Or is his work off? I would love to see pictures if you care to share!

We named her Wonky at the time because the bezel was a mess. He sent me pics of the ring dirty so I couldn’t see the cut. I also asked for colorless and it wasn’t. I decided to send it to David Klass to see if he could fix the bezel. David did a great job on it. The pics aren’t great. These are the before pics where the bezel is wonky. See the dirty pic on the bottom.
7941D6F4-BF32-4723-8035-EAE4F5A0BDAD.jpeg 02C85595-1164-453B-B261-162DAABEFC29.jpeg C5FAAFD7-8ABB-4E02-92CC-91FF7746F8D3.jpeg

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is after David fixed the bezel and milgrained it to try to straighten it out...He did a great job considering what he had to work with. The original bezel was wavy.
For whatever reason I couldn’t insert it but click on the pic below.

Attachments

• CEEF5943-5B20-454C-BFB0-5DDF834D87D8.jpeg
    CEEF5943-5B20-454C-BFB0-5DDF834D87D8.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 49

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is after David fixed the bezel and milgrained it to try to straighten it out...He did a great job considering what he had to work with. The original bezel was wavy.

Wow. No comparison. ❤️

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

oh just lovely! david performed some SERIOUS magic! i would have assumed that it would need a reset. what a pretty ring!!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh just lovely! david performed some SERIOUS magic! i would have assumed that it would need a reset. what a pretty ring!!!

Thank you..I LOVE David..

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you..I LOVE David..

i am about to have him make a setting! my first time working with him. very excited based on all of the high praise! his skills are evident based on what i see on PS!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am about to have him make a setting! my first time working with him. very excited based on all of the high praise! his skills are evident based on what i see on PS!

He’s amazing...He also is very kind and easy to work with.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I can’t wait to see what you decide!

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock

Wow what a difference. That picture sent to you was terrible! I’m really praying he’s improved his quality since then. At least I now know DK is an outlet to have it fixed if needed!!! Thank you so so much!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
In case anyone is interested, I found an OMC cushion on Ouros's site:

0.54ct OMC Cushion at Ouros on Etsy

It's very cool. but honestly, it strikes me as not *that* much less expensive than a similar mined stone? maybe i am wrong - I don't often look at stones this size so have a bad understanding of comps. id expect mined, this would be ~1300? am i dead wrong? i honestly don't know....

I feel like some of the savings seems to be once you are above 1 carat....when the difference is thousands. but i know a couple hundred CAN make a difference for many people so I don't mean to be insensitive. i guess the difference is large on a % basis now that i think about it

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very cool. but honestly, it strikes me as not *that* much less expensive than a similar mined stone? maybe i am wrong - I don't often look at stones this size so have a bad understanding of comps. id expect mined, this would be ~1300? am i dead wrong? i honestly don't know....

I feel like some of the savings seems to be once you are above 1 carat....when the difference is thousands. but i know a couple hundred CAN make a difference for many people so I don't mean to be insensitive. i guess the difference is large on a % basis now that i think about it

That's my feeling too.

However, for items cluster earrings, lab/MMD version is cheaper compared to mined diamond equivalent - I asked the bench I use in China for a quote first for price comparison purposes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's my feeling too.

However, for items cluster earrings, lab/MMD version is cheaper compared to mined diamond equivalent - I asked the bench I use in China for a quote first for price comparison purposes.

Yeah I’m with you both here. If the difference is a small amount I’m going to choose mined diamonds every single time. For me, the jury is still out the lab diamonds. I’m keeping an open mind.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I’m with you both here. If the difference is a small amount I’m going to choose mined diamonds every single time. For me, the jury is still out the lab diamonds. I’m keeping an open mind.

@Cerulean @dk168 the savings right now are in lab RB — that’s what most people are doing so you can find decent cuts, and the technology is developing for higher color and clarity and larger size. But I definitely want to watch as more vendors attempt old cuts because I think as more vendors get better at cutting them they’ll eventually come down too. Moissy vendors saw that people wanted old cuts and they became nicer. I see the same thing playing out with MMD over the next 1-5 years; how fast will depend on how much the reddit and WB buyers jump on old cut MMD in my opinion.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean @dk168 the savings right now are in lab RB — that’s what most people are doing so you can find decent cuts, and the technology is developing for higher color and clarity and larger size. But I definitely want to watch as more vendors attempt old cuts because I think as more vendors get better at cutting them they’ll eventually come down too. Moissy vendors saw that people wanted old cuts and they became nicer. I see the same thing playing out with MMD over the next 1-5 years; how fast will depend on how much the reddit and WB buyers jump on old cut MMD in my opinion.

That totally makes sense. I have seen some killer deals for RBs, but for the most part I would only accept ideal cuts like from CBI / ACA from here on out. It seems less of a deal for an equivalent but I am honestly not familiar with the MMD marketplace at all.

I have wondered if it will be awhile until prices come down for "fancy cuts", but hopefully not too long. For example, looking at Rhino's Heritage cuts, they seem a reasonable price, but not the "highway robbery" I see for RBs, hah. I hope to one day snag a vintage style lab grown asscher, although I find the AV lab emeralds very tempting...I love the idea of a lower stakes way to try out a step cut without spending 10k-15k (or more??) for a ~2< carat emerald with similar specs (~VS1/2-E/F/G color). $5k seems to be a reasonable price for such a stone, and I would expect Rhino would have excellent quality control and cut, which is ultimately what I would be paying for.

But if while I wait...prices go down more, I won't be mad :lol:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
That totally makes sense. I have seen some killer deals for RBs, but for the most part I would only accept ideal cuts like from CBI / ACA from here on out. It seems less of a deal for an equivalent but I am honestly not familiar with the MMD marketplace at all.

I have wondered if it will be awhile until prices come down for "fancy cuts", but hopefully not too long. For example, looking at Rhino's Heritage cuts, they seem a reasonable price, but not the "highway robbery" I see for RBs, hah. I hope to one day snag a vintage style lab grown asscher, although I find the AV lab emeralds very tempting...I love the idea of a lower stakes way to try out a step cut without spending 10k-15k (or more??) for a ~2< carat emerald with similar specs (~VS1/2-E/F/G color). $5k seems to be a reasonable price for such a stone, and I would expect Rhino would have excellent quality control and cut, which is ultimately what I would be paying for.

But if while I wait...prices go down more, I won't be mad :lol:

I know what you’re saying about fancy cuts! Lab is definitely a tempting route. A few ladies on this board seem to be testing the asscher waters recently, and I’ve enjoyed watching their journeys.

People have also had luck finding nice emeralds at Vrai, and Alex Park (parksfinegroupinc on IG) has been posting more labs recently, so I’d keep an eye on him if you aren’t already watching.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I know what you’re saying about fancy cuts! Lab is definitely a tempting route. A few ladies on this board seem to be testing the asscher waters recently, and I’ve enjoyed watching their journeys.

People have also had luck finding nice emeralds at Vrai, and Alex Park (parksfinegroupinc on IG) has been posting more labs recently, so I’d keep an eye on him if you aren’t already watching.

Oooh yes, didn't know that about Vrai...Alex parks has posted some scrumptious asschers. I am nowhere near making a purchase (i am guessing 2yrs out) - but having fun identifying preferences. I think overall antique style asschers are my favorites, but the AV heritage emeralds do really speak to me! we shall see :dance:

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
Hi @missy ah that is interesting to know. Given import costs, AVR is then likely a safer bet. For me I could probably go either way as I still need to pay VAT - no import duties in the UK on loose lab growns thankfully.

I don’t have a thread on the custom cuts yet (they were bullet sides for a larger project and yet another shape that is seemingly impossible to readily find in the UK), but will do when it is all set. A bit of a challenge during Covid times and now somewhat tighter restrictions coming in. That said I will very soon post a thread on another vendor - found a huge IGI certified emerald cut (my second choice after the OEC hunt) that I am very excited to receive. Should be here this coming week.

@Laura Zacheus I really do hope the ring turns out really well! Would love to see pics when it is done.

@missy @DiamondLizzy

my 5 stone lab diamond wedding band from Ouros got delivered today..i absolutely love it! Some quick pics and I’ll write a bigger review later! 0B40BC60-2DFB-43C4-A23B-5889CF5744CD.jpeg 80839CF0-325A-428E-B419-CC6214763CA4.jpeg 02992DF3-201C-42D8-BBAE-DB678F052087.jpeg 69BFC405-4637-4932-BFF4-B5F942A2F08E.jpeg 778C52B0-1753-4C3E-B704-CC060A999CED.jpeg 5CC28158-1A2E-41DF-9126-98544B12AF21.jpeg

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
@missy @DiamondLizzy

my 5 stone lab diamond wedding band from Ouros got delivered today..i absolutely love it! Some quick pics and I’ll write a bigger review later! 0B40BC60-2DFB-43C4-A23B-5889CF5744CD.jpeg 80839CF0-325A-428E-B419-CC6214763CA4.jpeg 02992DF3-201C-42D8-BBAE-DB678F052087.jpeg 69BFC405-4637-4932-BFF4-B5F942A2F08E.jpeg 778C52B0-1753-4C3E-B704-CC060A999CED.jpeg 5CC28158-1A2E-41DF-9126-98544B12AF21.jpeg

Saw the big review before this post. It looks absolutely stunning. So glad it turned out well.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I am interested in seeing some examples of their lab OECs as well. I just messaged Ella and she said she would be posting some photos and videos on Instagram soon...
Hi all

Small update I have asked the Tiyanu team for a video of the OEC CVDs and currently they don’t have any - they would cut them to spec. Right now for me, it’s a not yet until I see a few they have cut. I will keep you posted.

Happy Saturday!

I am interested in seeing some examples of their lab OECs as well. I just messaged Ella and she said she would be posting some photos and videos on Instagram soon...

RockFox

Shiny_Rock

Out of interest Fiorese Jewellery on Instagram posted an OEC lab diamond over the weekend. Maybe one to ask too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results