shape
carat
color
clarity

Thumbs up! Or, Christmas in July.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love thumb rings. I know they're not exactly the most genteel things these days, but ... look. In an old thread where somebody asked about them, another poster - Trekkie, I think - mentioned that she knew a lady who could rock them. Said she was ... here, why don't I look it up and quote specifically: "tall and big and erm... quite busty. Very alternative lifestyle living, if you know what I mean." Dude, that is me to a T. You know the lyrics to "I Need a Hero?" Well, I'm larger than life. :devil:

And now, so is my thumb ring! Roughly 4 ctw of step-cut yumminess, platinum, size 8.5, and just what the doctor ordered now that my preggo hands have swollen to the point that I can't wear my wedding set anymore. It goes v. nicely with my carre band, and, funnily enough, fits my husband's hand perfectly - though oddly, he prefers to eschew the bling. Hey, all the more for me! Between the apartment hunting and the whole carrying-20 lbs-plus in August, this is just the pick-me-up I needed.

Thumb Ring 5.jpg

Thumb Ring 3.5.jpg

Thumb Ring 3.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not quite sure if I'd call it a baguette band or a square-cut emerald band: what do you think? Whatever it is, I quite like the proportions.

Thumb Ring 7.jpg

Thumb Ring 6.jpg

Thumb Ring 4.jpg

Thumb Ring 2.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, finally, a few artsy shots atop a little vintage compact I picked up at the flea market yesterday: it's getting very Art Deco in here!

Thumb Ring 9.jpg

Thumb Ring 10.jpg

Thumb Ring 11.jpg

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I love it, the cut is beautiful and having such an elegant ring as a thumb ring actually works really, really well. I also like the two rings on your hand together because they compliment each other so well - great choice. Congratulations on your pregnancy, I was hugely pregnant last summer and its no joke being that big in the summer! =)

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Nce! I definitely think you can rock it. And I'm lovin the nail color too!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! Do you find it comfortable? When I got my PhD, to celebrate I bought a gold band with 5 channel set diamonds to wear as a pinkie ring. I never wear it because it is not comfy :blackeye:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
You rock it!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lottie - thanks on all counts! I was hoping that it wouldn't overpower things. Dunno if I'll wear it with my e-ring once I can, but ... I guess that's why we get opposable thumbs, plural. Well, that and the whole ability-to-use-tools thing. :rodent:

Chloe, thanks! It's supposedly holographic - got it in Sweden during my last trip. You can see a little of the effect in the close-ups. I feel v. futuristic.

Dreamer, thank you! Funny you should ask. I have weird hands, actually: my ring finger, middle finger and thumb all have knuckles wider than the base; my pinky and forefinger are just sort of ... pudgy. So while I can't wear pinky rings, either (which makes me sad: I have a rather nice ruby eternity band in rose gold sitting around, unloved), thumb rings are a-okay. The amusing thing is, while I didn't get myself a Ph.D. gift (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much going on that summer), I promised myself when I got my book out, I'd get a diamond thumb ring. Well, now my hard deadline is baby's b-day. So I guess I can justify it as "incentive." :D

Amy - heheheheh! I will obey that imperative!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1312833340|2986653 said:
Dreamer, thank you! Funny you should ask. I have weird hands, actually: my ring finger, middle finger and thumb all have knuckles wider than the base; my pinky and forefinger are just sort of ... pudgy. So while I can't wear pinky rings, either (which makes me sad: I have a rather nice ruby eternity band in rose gold sitting around, unloved), thumb rings are a-okay. The amusing thing is, while I didn't get myself a Ph.D. gift (waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much going on that summer), I promised myself when I got my book out, I'd get a diamond thumb ring. Well, now my hard deadline is baby's b-day. So I guess I can justify it as "incentive." :D

Don't rush completing your book -- with both my babies, the MOMENT I completed my writing/research to-do list, I went into labour ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa. Circe you have some of the coolest stuff! You wear them well :sun: and yes, definitely deserve a baby-carrying, apartment-finding, thesis-finishing, book-writing sparkly ::)

Yesterday I asked DH what I would be getting as a moving gift. He said I'd already picked out my gift - whatever carpet and paint I wanted. I replied that carpet doesn't sparkle, and this morning he sent me an Amazon.com receipt for a tub of glitter. Still a work in progress, obviously.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1312838220|2986715 said:
Whoa. Circe you have some of the coolest stuff! You wear them well :sun: and yes, definitely deserve a baby-carrying, apartment-finding, thesis-finishing, book-writing sparkly ::)

Yesterday I asked DH what I would be getting as a moving gift. He said I'd already picked out my gift - whatever carpet and paint I wanted. I replied that carpet doesn't sparkle, and this morning he sent me an Amazon.com receipt for a tub of glitter. Still a work in progress, obviously.

hahaha!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe, you crack me up. I love your ring.

By the way, for some reason I always look at whatever's in the background of the pic that someone posts, and I love the exposed brick in your house.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring! I think you'll start a thumb ring trend with that ring!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer - kids with good timing! I figure that gives me plenty of leeway, though - at the rate I'm going with packing and such, if I send it out before the expected due date in November, I'll be in good shape!

Yssie said:

Yssie - thanks! There's a reason you're one of my favorite posters. :D I forwarded your response to my husband, and he cracked up - I think he's getting ideas. Also, reading this, it occurred to me ... you're about to become an East Coaster! This gives me even more motivation to plan that GTG that I keep feebly attempting to organize ....

Zoe - thanks! I do the same thing. :devil: I figure it gives you more of a sense of the total package! And my exposed brick wall and my fairy lights totally go with my thumb-ring rocking style.

CentralSquare - muchas gracias! I hope so. I never could understand why they'd fallen out of fashion - such a good place for bling as compared to, say, the toes or the navel (two places I respect, but just could not do personally for comfort reasons). I am so tempted to make a thumbs up/thumbs down icon and use it to indicate approval/disapproval of various topics ....

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Circe - I love thumb rings too! Yours is awesome!!!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1312837106|2986703 said:
Circe|1312833340|2986653 said:

Don't rush completing your book -- with both my babies, the MOMENT I completed my writing/research to-do list, I went into labour ::)

Actually, YMMV, so get a move on with it. I ended up writing the second half of a dissertation on the law of evidence in between contractions. :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A NYC GTG would be fabulous!! After Sept7th I'm in :bigsmile:

Sadly I don't think I can call in any favours at the moment - the asscher eternity on JbEG being the favour of the day, yes I'm a copycat! We had an - incident - last week. I had a packet of these nifty glow in the dark googly eyes and I stuck the biggest pair to the underside of the toilet lid on a lark, and promptly forgot about it and left for a two-day conference. DH came home that evening and apparently turned on the heater without unplugging the other one - which he *knows* not to do - and tripped the breaker, and decided to use the restroom before fixing the lights ::)

My DH shares yours' housing hangups too, now that I think about it. It must be a male thing. I'd say have fun with the packing but that's simply impossible, so I'll just wish you luck!

//back to the topic at hand...

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! You did it! It looks fabulous on you!

My stubby, practically non-existent thumbs and I are wild with envy.

Enjoy it, Circe, and wear it in good health.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dragonfly - thank you! There is something deeply satisfying about them. I was idly Googling info on thumb rings, and came across a link claiming they'd been signs of prestige for learned men in the Classical period and the Middle Ages. From learned men then to learned women now seems like a fair jump!

Jen - noted! I figure I've got enough work on my plate that I can play it safe in both directions - if I finish the first manuscript, I'm still staring down the barrel of the third chapter of my second book!

Yssie - Heheheh, your wish is my command!Especially because of that story. P.S. - I LOVE that band. I have been eyeballing it for ages, and trying to convince myself I DO NOT need one as close as cut-corners.

Trekkie - thank you! I just couldn't resist any longer. I held off when I saw it originally, but when it was still there 4 months later - it was meant to be!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it, Circe! It looks perfect with your other band on the same hand, too. And you definitely deserve it after your apartment hunt!

I actually emailed JBEG about that same band not too long ago! I couldn't justify it either, though...

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heheheh - I'm starting to wonder just how many of us have that thing on our wishlist! You're the third or fourth person I've seen mention it in the last 24 hours ....

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1313082029|2988625 said:
Dragonfly - thank you! There is something deeply satisfying about them. I was idly Googling info on thumb rings, and came across a link claiming they'd been signs of prestige for learned men in the Classical period and the Middle Ages. From learned men then to learned women now seems like a fair jump!

Jen - noted! I figure I've got enough work on my plate that I can play it safe in both directions - if I finish the first manuscript, I'm still staring down the barrel of the third chapter of my second book!

Yssie - Heheheh, your wish is my command!Especially because of that story. P.S. - I LOVE that band. I have been eyeballing it for ages, and trying to convince myself I DO NOT need one as close as cut-corners.

Trekkie - thank you! I just couldn't resist any longer. I held off when I saw it originally, but when it was still there 4 months later - it was meant to be!

I had never heard of that, but I totally agree! :praise: There's a baguette ring I've wanted for a very long time that looks AWESOME on my thumb, but alas, it's WAY out of my budget.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love it! What a gorgeous band. Also love seeing rings worn differently. Awesome. And, congrats on your pregnancy!

Cool! I don't remember seeing any other diamond thumb rings on here.. I love it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUM!!! I love the new ring... so beautiful and elegant.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1313173074|2989462 said:
Heheheh - I'm starting to wonder just how many of us have that thing on our wishlist! You're the third or fourth person I've seen mention it in the last 24 hours ....

Ha I know, right? Hopefully someone will pull the trigger and post lots of pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results