shape
carat
color
clarity

Thrush

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I've noticed that after I pump or feed I get pain in my boobs. It's a deep aching pain with some sharp pains mixed in. I consulted Dr. Google and it looks like it could be thrush. I don't have any of the other symptoms other than a gouge type sore on one of my nipples that has been there from the beginning (baby is 6 weeks), due to an improper latch early on. I don't see any white stuff in the baby's mouth or anywhere else. I'm not prone to yeast infections (never had one...despite being on antibiotics a lot in my life), but I was on an antibiotic during labor due to group B strep. Any thoughts?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blocked milk duct? try warm compresses pre/post feeding to see if that relieves.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1348157528|3271678 said:
I started a thread about this a few weeks ago: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thrush.178724/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thrush.178724/[/URL]

I had thrush and I knew it was ductal thrush because the pain existed on both nipples, while the baby was not breastfeeding, and it would radiate all the way to my back. Plus, my son had oral thrush.

Thanks! My nipples don't hurt, it's just in the boobs. I wonder if I should give my OB a call.

Enerchi said:
Blocked milk duct? try warm compresses pre/post feeding to see if that relieves.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into this and it seems like with a blocked duct the pain is worse before feedings, whereas mine is definitely worse after feedings.

I've decided that a major part of pregnancy and postpartum is trying to figure out what is normal and what isn't. Sigh.

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
I'm not much of a help with suggestions but I also had (have) the same thing. No thrush symptoms other than the radiating pain on my part. You are not alone! I also do have milk blebs which are quite painful as well as vasospasms. Breastfeeding is FUN isn't it?

I think that thrush treatment isn't bad if you don't have it and there are natural options (some kind of purple stuff you put on your nipple) so maybe it is worth trying?

It could also be a painful letdown. As the milk refills in your breasts.

The pain has mostly subsided for me But it took almost three months.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
MuffDog|1348162165|3271734 said:
I'm not much of a help with suggestions but I also had (have) the same thing. No thrush symptoms other than the radiating pain on my part. You are not alone! I also do have milk blebs which are quite painful as well as vasospasms. Breastfeeding is FUN isn't it?

I think that thrush treatment isn't bad if you don't have it and there are natural options (some kind of purple stuff you put on your nipple) so maybe it is worth trying?

A friend suggested it was letdown as well. I think that might be the case since I have no other symptoms. I'll look into the natural remedies as well, since, as you said, it can't hurt. I read about rinse the nipples with a vinegar/water mixture after feeding and pumping. Seems like an easy place to start. I'll look into the purple stuff as well. Glad to know it cleared up for you. Did you do any treatments?

And yes, breast feeding is SO fun. No. The things you do for your kids.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1348163071|3271741 said:
MuffDog|1348162165|3271734 said:

A friend suggested it was letdown as well. I think that might be the case since I have no other symptoms. I'll look into the natural remedies as well, since, as you said, it can't hurt. I read about rinse the nipples with a vinegar/water mixture after feeding and pumping. Seems like an easy place to start. I'll look into the purple stuff as well. Glad to know it cleared up for you. Did you do any treatments?

And yes, breast feeding is SO fun. No. The things you do for your kids.
the purple stuff is Gentian Violet and you can order it through amazon or your pharmacy but that doesn't sound like thrush but maybe worth trying to see if it does help? hope you feel better soon.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I would highly recommend seeing a lactation consultant before treating yourself for thrush. If you don't have it, it's really best not to treat yourself. I was told once by a lactation consultant that the unnecessary use of anti-fungal treatment was leading to more resistant fungi (similar to antibiotic-resistant bacteria). In addition, gentian violet is EXTREMELY messy -- I've used it before (unnecessarily, I might add) and would avoid using it again if at all possible. There's also the very small chance that your baby could get sores in his/her mouth from the gentian violet, although I think that's fairly unusual. In any case, there are many reasons that you could be having pain in your breasts. A good lactation consultant can help you diagnose the problem and find a solution. I think a lot of women (myself included) assume they have thrush whenever there's pain after the first week or two, but I suspect that thrush is quite a lot less common than the internet would have us think. In fact, there are many in the medical profession who think it's a bogus diagnosis, but that's another story. Anyway, good luck -- I am all too familiar with breastfeeding pain, but it does get better eventually!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Demelza|1348201537|3272041 said:
I would highly recommend seeing a lactation consultant before treating yourself for thrush. If you don't have it, it's really best not to treat yourself. I was told once by a lactation consultant that the unnecessary use of anti-fungal treatment was leading to more resistant fungi (similar to antibiotic-resistant bacteria). In addition, gentian violet is EXTREMELY messy -- I've used it before (unnecessarily, I might add) and would avoid using it again if at all possible. There's also the very small chance that your baby could get sores in his/her mouth from the gentian violet, although I think that's fairly unusual. In any case, there are many reasons that you could be having pain in your breasts. A good lactation consultant can help you diagnose the problem and find a solution. I think a lot of women (myself included) assume they have thrush whenever there's pain after the first week or two, but I suspect that thrush is quite a lot less common than the internet would have us think. In fact, there are many in the medical profession who think it's a bogus diagnosis, but that's another story. Anyway, good luck -- I am all too familiar with breastfeeding pain, but it does get better eventually!

You know, the more I read about it the more I think it's not thrush, and just general BFing pain (letdown or whatever). The reason I say this is it's not consistent...plus baby has no signs of anything. For now, I'm going to keep an eye on things and see what happens. I'm going to try massaging the boob while pumping/feeding to make sure it's really empty and see if that helps.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
I had a deep pain in my breasts that would radiate out towards my nipple about an hour or so after feeds. No signs of thrush and I had C checked out by a CHN at the local clinic just in case. I think it might have been a painful letdown. It went away on its own after a few weeks.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Well, I posted this three weeks ago and am now fairly convinced that it is thrush after all. I found this list of symptoms:

Possible signs and symptoms in the mother
Itching or burning of the skin over the nipple and areola
• Severe pain when the baby initially latches onto the breast

• Pain becomes progressively worse with each re-latching
• Pain often subsides during the feed, but returns and can last up to an hour
after the feed
• Shooting or stabbing pains within the breasts
• Nipples look shiny, bright pink/red or moist/soggy

• Nipples have pin head lumps or white plaques
Nipple and areola become bright pink or red immediately after feeds
• Nipples are sensitive to cold
• Cracked nipples do not heal even with good positioning and attachment
• Nipples may blanche during feeds
• Taking a shower is unbearably painful for the nipples

I've bolded the symptoms that I have. I also read that a big sign of thrush in babies is excessive gas, which he's definitely got. I guess I'll call my OB and see what she says. Oh, and these symptoms also happen when I pump.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Amc, I feel you. I also have the pain when nipples get cold or...hmmm....erect.

I was on fluconazole for two weeks (100mg per day after a loading dose of 150mg) but it hasn't gone away. At the moment I'm on a powerful painkiller to get me through the rest of my BF days.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1349809029|3282310 said:
Amc, I feel you. I also have the pain when nipples get cold or...hmmm....erect.

I was on fluconazole for two weeks (100mg per day after a loading dose of 150mg) but it hasn't gone away. At the moment I'm on a powerful painkiller to get me through the rest of my BF days.

Yep. I just BFed 30 minutes ago and my nipple (just did one side) feels like it's on fire...plus the deep shooting pain in the boobs. I'm only taking 600mg of Motrin, but it seems to help. Did you have a topical as well, or just the pill?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I had Dactarin cream which I applied after each BF session.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Update- Got a prescription for diflucan, which I'm ridiculously excited about. Hopefully it helps clear things up.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1349897878|3282869 said:
Update- Got a prescription for diflucan, which I'm ridiculously excited about. Hopefully it helps clear things up.

Yup. That's what I took. What's your dosage?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1349898044|3282874 said:
amc80|1349897878|3282869 said:

Yup. That's what I took. What's your dosage?

You know, I don't know. She called it in to the pharmacy directly and I haven't picked it up yet. I'll update once I get it.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Mayerling- I have 150mg for 10 days. Took the first pill yesterday and I swear I already feel better. Could be mental, but even if it is, I'll take it.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to alarm you, but I felt really well for the first couple of days but that was it; after that I was still in pain, less pain but pain nevertheless. However, I was only taking 100mg per day.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling said:
I don't want to alarm you, but I felt really well for the first couple of days but that was it; after that I was still in pain, less pain but pain nevertheless. However, I was only taking 100mg per day.

Bummer, but thanks for the warning!!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
AMC, how's treatment going?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Great! I no longer have pain after feeding, and my nipples feel about 75% better. I think that could be partially due to the fact that I'm almost exclusively pumping these days. I still have a few more days of pills. I'm really happy I went in to the doc!

Thanks for asking :) How are you doing?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'd stopped taking the pain killers for a few days and the pain came back with a vengeance so I'm back on them. :nono:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, so sorry. Does your doctor have any ideas on how to rid you of it for good?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
According to all the doctors who've seen me, I won't get better until I wean.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results