shape
carat
color
clarity

three stone truffle ring and side diamond proportions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want the Vatche three stone truffle ring and was wondering if it would look too strange with a large center and very small sides. My diamond is 1.5 carats and I want to get .27 carats on either side. I don''t want anything competing with the center stone and don''t like the look of all the diamonds being almost the same side. Is .27 too small for side stones?
I got the idea from this Tacori setting-

http://www.tacori.com/collections/wedding_bells/wedding_d_e.html

It''s model D in the picture. The side diamonds total .47 carats, and they recommend that setting with a 7.5 mm diamond (about 1.5 carats).
I was thinking about just getting that setting, but I am not crazy about the antique look. Plus, I would rather have H&A side stones.
Please let me know what you think.

techlaw

Rough_Rock
I too was considering the Vatche 3-stone truffle setting with a 1.5 Radiant and two 0.3 princess or round cuts. However, it is my understanding that the Vatche 3-stone truffle setting only comes in the following sizes: 1.0 carat center & 0.25 sides OR 1.5 carat center & 0.5 sides. They do not make the combination you and I seek. Thus, it would have to be custom-made. I would appreciate learning what you find-out about this setting or other similar settings.

Thanks.

timtammy

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/17/2003 10:13
6.gif
2 PM kayla17 wrote:

I want the Vatche three stone truffle ring and was wondering if it would look too strange with a large center and very small sides. My diamond is 1.5 carats and I want to get .27 carats on either side. I don't want anything competing with the center stone and don't like the look of all the diamonds being almost the same side. Is .27 too small for side stones?
I got the idea from this Tacori setting-

http://www.tacori.com/collections/wedding_bells/wedding_d_e.html

It's model D in the picture. The side diamonds total .47 carats, and they recommend that setting with a 7.5 mm diamond (about 1.5 carats).
I was thinking about just getting that setting, but I am not crazy about the antique look. Plus, I would rather have H&A side stones.
Please let me know what you think.
----------------

Hi there Kayla17

This could have been written by me - I'm grappling with exactly the same thing! Your centre stone is larger than mine - mine is 1.08 carats and I've pretty much decided to go with .25 sides. Vatche do have a picture of a 1 carat centre with .25 sides and this is pretty much what I want - although I have considered going even smaller. I know what you mean - it looks like a band and detracts from the centre stone if the sides are too large. The proportions you are talking about would make the sides even smaller than what I'm considering but I think the stones themselves will look fine. But will the setting? There is a big difference and I'm also wondering how the setting will look with such a big step down. I also like the Vatche 3 stone truffle or variants of. What sort of band would work with kind of setting and diamonds of those proportions - I hate fitted bands so can a straight band be worn?

Regards

Timtammy

Anyone else have any thoughts?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered the ring from Whiteflash. The truffle setting without diamonds came out to $1300 for .27 carat sides on either side and a 1.5 carat center. I am supplying all the diamonds.
I had Whiteflash take a picture of the .27 side diamonds, next to a 1.5 carat diamond, just to get an idea of how proportional the stones would be in the setting. They actually looked bigger than I thought they would.
I don't think it will be hard for Vatche to make the setting. If you look on their website, they have a setting with sapphires and diamonds and the sapphire center is 1.35 carats and the sides are .25 each.
So my stones should not be a problem.
I will post pictures as soon as I get them.
1.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Timtammy,
I found a picture of the three stone truffle Vatche makes with 1.02 center and .27 sides. The smaller stones don't look too awkward and the side profile shows the way the ring "steps down" into the smaller stones and it doesn't look so bad, see for yourself.

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28766

Another thing I think you should do is to find out the price for the setting you want with Vatche's own diamonds versus you buying the diamonds and setting seperately. It might be worthwhile to supply your own diamonds and just purchase the setting afterwards. Even if it comes out to the same price, at least you can get better diamonds for your money.
The diamonds that I choose for the side stones are A Cut Above H&A diamonds. Each one comes laser inscribed and has an AGS certificate. I am sure that the diamonds supplied by Vatche will not be as good quality.
I don't know if it matters how well the quality of the side diamonds are, but for just a little bit over the price that they charge for the setting for the 1 carat center, with .50 total sides, I am getting much better stones.
In fact, I think next year, I will purchase seven small H&A's and make a wedding band.
And the price really isn't bad. I think, but don't quote me, Whiteflash starts their .21's at $450 for E to F VVS2 to VS2. I saw a pair of .25's H SI2 for $475 each. If you add that to the price of the platinum setting at $1300, it might even be less for a smaller center stone, then it comes out to $2250. Vatche's setting for the same size side diamonds is $2150 I think, on Whiteflash. So for $100 more you can get baby H&A's, and remember, they are laser inscribed and have the AGS certs. You can even run them on the HCA.
One more thing I wanted to add, if you want to change the Anyway, these are just things to think about.

[img src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/Up_to_something.gif">
3.gif

timtammy

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/19/2003 3
6.gif
1:56 AM kayla17 wrote:

Hello Timtammy,
I found a picture of the three stone truffle Vatche makes with 1.02 center and .27 sides. The smaller stones don't look too awkward and the side profile shows the way the ring "steps down" into the smaller stones and it doesn't look so bad, see for yourself.

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28766

Another thing I think you should do is to find out the price for the setting you want with Vatche's own diamonds versus you buying the diamonds and setting seperately. It might be worthwhile to supply your own diamonds and just purchase the setting afterwards. Even if it comes out to the same price, at least you can get better diamonds for your money.
The diamonds that I choose for the side stones are A Cut Above H&A diamonds. Each one comes laser inscribed and has an AGS certificate. I am sure that the diamonds supplied by Vatche will not be as good quality.
I don't know if it matters how well the quality of the side diamonds are, but for just a little bit over the price that they charge for the setting for the 1 carat center, with .50 total sides, I am getting much better stones.
In fact, I think next year, I will purchase seven small H&A's and make a wedding band.
And the price really isn't bad. I think, but don't quote me, Whiteflash starts their .21's at $450 for E to F VVS2 to VS2. I saw a pair of .25's H SI2 for $475 each. If you add that to the price of the platinum setting at $1300, it might even be less for a smaller center stone, then it comes out to $2250. Vatche's setting for the same size side diamonds is $2150 I think, on Whiteflash. So for $100 more you can get baby H&A's, and remember, they are laser inscribed and have the AGS certs. You can even run them on the HCA.
One more thing I wanted to add, if you want to change the Anyway, these are just things to think about.

[img src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/Up_to_something.gif">
3.gif

----------------
Hi Kayla

thanks very much for your post! That ring is exactly what I want! It looks perfect and that is a great picture too. Mine will be platinum though. Yes, I'm going to choose the sides myself. I'm in Australia and I've bought the centre stone from icestore.com.au. Its on order and will arrive in the country in a week or so. I met with Johan from icestore.com.au the other day and once my stone gets here he has suggested myself and my fiance come in and we will choose the side stones together from the stocks he keeps here. I too want to make sure that they both match and are good quality. I don't know if there is a vatche distributor here in Australia but I will probably just have the setting copied by the jewellers.

Can you wear a normal straight wedding band with this setting? I hope so as I hate fitted wedding bands. Have you ever seen pics of this setting with a weddding band - I've tried to find some but couldnt find any.

Make sure you post a pic of your ring once you have it!

Cheers

Timtammy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results