shape
carat
color
clarity

Three stone ring question?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling

Shiny_Rock
I have a question for all you diamond experts out there...i have been thinking of resetting my mothers old engagement ring diamond. She gave it to me years ago, when she got "upgraded"..
1.gif
i had it set in a replica antique like setting originally, but it is too heavy for me now days. The diamond isnt huge..about .70 ct and its definitely not ideal or H&A, but its pretty and it has plenty of sparkle. Im not sure if my father knows the specs of the stone..ie.the color or dimensions. So, that makes my next few questions sorta tricky and why i would like the input of all you diamond gurus out there. I would like to set the stone in a three stone setting with two smaller diamonds on the side. since the center diamond is not an ideal stone, would it look funny to have ideal H&As as the side stones? would they outperform the center stone. since i dont know the exact color of the center stone either..what is a safe color to go with. it was originally set in white gold and when holding it to my G ering, the stone is white..not yellow. that being the case, what is a safe color to choose for the sidestones?
if i did not go with H&A stones, what are the proportions i should look for in the side stones to still get well performing stones? and what size would you all recommend..what work well..
soo sorry for all these questions..but im sorta lost here. and the poor diamond just sits in its case and doenst get a chance to be worn..hehehe..thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
confused.gif
appl.gif
9.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bling, I think that you will notice a difference in the stone quality if you go for H&A best cut side stones. Your best bets are: 1) send your stone to an online dealer that you trust that can match up some side stones for you that will fit the quality of your center stone (whatever cut quality that may be). Or 2) go to a local jeweler that can assist you and let you see the difference in cuts next to your stone. Maybe you will be surprised that your stone is better than you may think.
10.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the comments..i would prefer to do the online thing for the sidestones..anyone else care to share? thanks

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Definitely go for stones that are similar to the one you have. I have seen--up close-- a poorly re-set diamond in a three stone that was not matched properly and you could tell somethig was "off." I've also seen this effect when two diamonds far apart on the color scale are put into a ring, say F with an I or J... every example I've seen has looked off. even though i do consider myself somewhat above the average person when it comes to diamonds given my obsession with them, I think you'd have to be pretty dense not to notice this kind of thing, esp in a ring.

It'll be well worth the effort to get nicely matched stones. Post pics when you are done!
1.gif

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
have you considered sapphire side stones? if so, you eliminate the matching problem (both cut and color), and if the diamond is not colorless, the sapphires will make the diamond look whiter, and in effect, better than it is. sapphires will also help you avoid calling attention to any dificiencies in cut that often exist with older stones.

just an idea!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second the sapphires.
If you want something different rubies are yummy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results