shape
carat
color
clarity

Three Stone Reset

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the process of resetting my halo to a three stone ring and I need a little help finalizing things. My center stone is a 1.28 ct and my side stones will be approximately .40 each. Originally I was thinking .50 but I've decided that the .40 will help to better differientiate my center stone from my side stones. Finger size 5.

I was originally planning to go forward with the BGD truth X3 setting but after some thought and help from PS members I've decided that particular setting is meant for larger stones. Right now I'm leaning towards the BGD open gallery setting where the center stone sits slightly higher or their trellis setting only with the side stones angled down vs all three stones on the same plane.

Open Gallery: http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/open-gallery-accented-platinum-5448p
Trellis: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-blue-sapphire-and-diamond-e-ring.186539/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-blue-sapphire-and-diamond-e-ring.186539/page-2[/URL]

Coming from a halo I'm a bit concerned that this ring will feel small to me. I've been to many jewelry stores but I find three stone rings hard to find. It seems like the only rings that are out there are halos. If I was ever to do a halo again I would work with VC without a doubt. If it was my husbands decision that's what I would do!!!

Would love to hear opinions on the two 3 stone settings listed. Do you think one works better than the other? Would you forgo both of these for a VC halo?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you are coming from a halo, I have a feeling this will feel smaller to you. Of those settings, I prefer the Open Gallery one. I just like classic Tiffany type settings for three stone rings, and that one is similar. A Victor Canera setting is certainly a heirloom quality setting, and if you want a halo, that is an excellent choice. But only you can decide if you prefer a halo or a three stone. Both are nice but they are totally different. If you aren't sure and want to try a 3 stone setting, I'd go with David Klass and get a lower price so that if you change your mind later, you can set a colored stone in the center of the three stone ring and get your center diamond reset into the halo.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough choice you have before you! A VC halo will be stunning no doubt. If I'm remembering correctly, you were thinking of a 3 stone because you wanted something a bit less fussy than a halo with lots of melee. I do think you'll be able to wear a 3 stone with more ease and less babying but if you don't like the way it looks, then it won't matter much as you probably won't enjoy it like you did your halo. Hence the tough choice!

I know some others thought the Truth x3 is better suited for larger stones but I swore I had seen some gorgeous examples with smaller center stones. Not sure if you've seen these threads but I think the Truth x3 with a smaller center stone is absolutely stunning. Just a thought anyway.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-truth-x3-3-stone-upgrade.144516/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-truth-x3-3-stone-upgrade.144516/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cads-are-in-opinions.209956/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cads-are-in-opinions.209956/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-stone-reset-by-bgd.210412/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-stone-reset-by-bgd.210412/[/URL]

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Second one you posted which allows the diamonds to star not a load of metal would be my chose

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO the trellis provides more finger coverage - might be an optical illusion, but the swoop gives ME that impression. BOTH beautiful choices!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1447150821|3947658 said:
IMO the trellis provides more finger coverage - might be an optical illusion, but the swoop gives ME that impression. BOTH beautiful choices!

I love the swoopiness of the trellis. If you want a more classic look I would go with the open basket. Both really nice.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
JDDN thanks for posting those examples. I saw the second example but not the first. I wish the first one had shots other than glamour shots. In the second example I'm concerned that the side angle looks to have a lot of metal and feels a bit overpowering.

You're right in that I was searching for something more durable because my current halo seems to be super delicate and I'm just not in love with it. I realize now (after looking for months) that the reason I don't love it is because it's a cushion halo with a round stone and feels a bit vintage when my stone is modern. The two are competing vs complementing each other.

I think 3 stones are classic and timeless but I have concerns that it will look much smaller which would lead to disappointment. It's so hard to find 3 stone rings with roughly my specs to try-on which is part of my problem. I found one at Tiffany's which was a 1.45 with .59 side stones which is probably the closest I've seen. Halos on the other hand are a dime a dozen but none of them really compare to a VC emilya. Of course that's going off what I read and see on PS. This decision would be so much easier if I could try both on!!!!

I should be happy to have this problem because both styles are beautiful and ultimately I know it's a personal decision. I think I know a three stone is better for me but I wonder if I might miss the beauty of a halo.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I think our three stone sizes are very similar so I tried comparing pics I have so you can get an idea of finger coverage.

_731.jpeg

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Side-by-side picture is awesome, thank you.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I think the issue I'm having with the three stone rings is finding a setting I love. I want something that feels elegant and timeless vs chunky.

I really like both these setting from Michael B but clearly both are out of my price range. At most with side stones I'd like to stay below $6k.

_35230.jpg

_35231.jpg

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Obviously without pave all the way around. Probably prefer a clean shank.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One word: David Klass.

Once my current project is completed, I plan to use the design pictured below for my 3 stone ring.

_35232.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you about finding one that doesn't seem "chunky." I keep going back and forth between a 3 stone and a solitaire. I haven't found many different styles of 3 stones to try on either. I think most B&M stores carry the Tiffany style 3 stones with 3 baskets and the 2:1 ratio for center stone to side stones. Tough if you want to see what a different ratio will look like and what different styles will look like on. It's really difficult to make decisions when you can't try things on and compare!

Here's one that I really liked. It appears more delicate, but it's rather pricey.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/queen-dinah-3-stone-platinum-5678p

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Does BGD do a three stone for emerald-cut? From his page it looks like round and princess cut settings. I'm looking for three-stone similar to OP.....not chunky...sophisticated, classy, only for emerald cut. Love the three-stone.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
JDDN I asked BG about the H Levi Queen Dinah setting but they told me the truth x3 is similar and they actually recommended the truth over that setting. I tend to agree with you that the truth feels bigger than the Queen Dinah.

I spoke with VC today regarding his round trilogy setting and looks like .40 side stones would be his recommendation for my 1.28 center stone. He also recommended that I go try on a solitare in my size center stone to see if I felt it was too small. Believe it or not I've never really tried on a solitare because I wanted a halo when I first got engaged. While I would clearly love to have a 2ct center I realize that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Anyways, I did try on a solitare today and I was surprised but I actually liked it. It absolutely felt smaller but that's a given and once I had the sode stones I'm sure it would feel more substantial. Victor did say he could make the three stone ring so it sits flush with a band which could also help if I wanted a little extra bling. The store I visited deals with stuller settings which I'm sure would be fine if I didn't want any pave but I know the VC setting would be a work of art.

Here's a link to the ring I'm talking about. - https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-lily-round-trilogy

Simple but elegant all at the same time.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder why they recommended the Truth x3 over the Queen Dinah (aside from the obvious reason that it's their design)? It looks like there's more metal on the Truth x3 heads and in my opinion 3 Truth head's in a row is busier than the simple classic baskets of the Queen Dinah. Maybe that's why some others feel the Truth x3 looks better with larger stones - because the V shaped bar of the Truth head is wider and so overall 3 Truth heads that are wider or less compact appear less busy and like there's less metal. Not sure if I'm even making sense, lol.

The VC Trilogy is really classy. I think 0.4 side stones with your center would provide great coverage and lot of bling! It's a different look from a halo, but really classic and gorgeous. Hm...maybe I just convinced myself to go with a 3 stone!!

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
JDDN you make perfect sense to me! I definitely think with three smaller stones the truth heads look crowded which makes it look like there's more metal. I've definitely omitted that setting from my potential options.

PintoBean the WF butterfly setting is beautiful but six prongs on my size center stone is too much in my opinion. If only I had a larger center stone.....

I like the simplicity and pure elegance of the VC three stone but I'm wondering if I will miss having pave on the shank. I know a plain shank seems to be preferred but I can't help think I might miss it. I suppose a band could help makeup for not having it on the ring. The shank on that ring is about 2.5mm which I like. Feels substantial without feeling bulky.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor's Lily is an outstanding, heirloom quality setting. If this is a forever ring, I would absolutely choose that or similar to that (I like three 4 prong baskets), if that is the case.

If you are not sure it is a forever ring or if Victor's ring is out of budget, I'll say it again (along with others), you need to look at David Klass because his will be less than BG.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1447172911|3947822 said:
One word: David Klass.

Once my current project is completed, I plan to use the design pictured below for my 3 stone ring.

I love this Chrono, and he has other beautiful three stone designs as well.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at the spread on the VC ring. It is not 'bunched up' or compact. I don't think you would miss pave on the band of this ring; I'm guessing you will see very little of the actual shank. I would much prefer a diamond band with it than to have pave on the shank of the engagement ring - it's just a balance thing to my eye. He has a true eye for detail and stone placement - I think it would be gorgeous!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is still the VC Lily 3 stone!

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker2006 I know you've mentioned DK but I can't seem to find any examples of three stone rings that I love. I'm sure I could show him pictures and he could design it for me but it makes me nervous. I did my last reset with ERD because they were cheaper and look at what happened. I need to approach this as a forever setting even if it's not (one day I hope to upgrade my stone but that might be awhile).

My husband still loves thr emilya so right now it's a toss up between the emilya and the trilogy. Two totally different looks. The emilya would definitely make my stone appear bigger and would be beautiful but there's something so classy about a simple three stone ring.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Okay so quotes are received and my ring is on its way back home. I'm moving forward with either the Lily or Emilya. I know they're completely different styles but I happen to love them both. I just need to decide what style right for me.

A three stone is classic and timeless and I feel like it hold up over time. Being able to pair it with a diamond band will look lovely and add that extra bling if desired. My only concern is whether or not I will feel like my stone will look much smaller since I'm coming from a halo.

The emilya is beautiful in a totally different way and I know I can't go wrong with this design. While the craftsmanship will obviously be much better than my current ring I still feel like it's a similar design. If I'm spending the $$ to reset part of me says go with something new but the other part of me says go with something safe because I'm not doing this again for a long time.

Decisions......

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot go wrong with Victor, that is for sure! The plus to a 3 stone ring is that if you ever get a new diamond as an anniversary gift, you can wear the Lily on your other hand. I don't think a solitaire is as good for a right hand ring, personally. But I would question Victor as to how easy the Lily is to resize with the 3 wire shank.

I have found you a couple of 3 stone rings to try out. There is a 30% off sale today. We cannot post links here to simulants, but they are on a site called Berricle and it is under 3 stone rings and one has a total carat weight of 1.92 on about the 5th row down. It will be under $35 with the discount code. There is another one with a 7mm center and 5mm sides on down the page with a total weight of 2.2. This one may be best if your center is 7mm.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you will already have the other halo for your rhr. How will wearing two halos make you feel? Or will that be a non factor BC you will wear it minimally?
I am a serial resetter. And I have found that I truly love the halo. I love the way it looks on my finger. I've had a three stone and I didn't like it on me. My sister had one for a long time before she went halo, and i quite enjoyed seeing it on her. It was blingy and her center stonbe was less than a carat. I think that your center stone will not be too small. I do have one that I wear on my right hand and it is very comfortable.
Sorry. I'm no help. I like to pay attention to my reactions. What turns my head when I'm bling watching? For me. That's a halo and not a 3 stone. But come to think about it, I have not seen 3 stones recently.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker2006 thanks for sending me that info. I love the idea of getting a cheap setting to wear around to make sure I love a three stone on my finger. I did go try on a solitare again and see it paired with a .40 side stone and I really liked the look. Super clean, elegant and timeless.

I also had the store clean up my original round halo setting and the more I wear it around I'm discovering that I like it all over again. Sure it's not perfect but there's nothing wrong with it and a nice sapphire stone in the center would make a nice RHR.

The nice thing about doing a three stone and keeping my halo is that I could always switch the center stones around since both will be the same size. Diamond three stone with sapphire halo or diamond halo with sapphire and diamond three stone. Of course, I'm assuming this is something that can be easily done.

I love the point about easily being able to wear it on my RH if my husband ever feels the desire to purchase me another stone!! I have a feeling that won't happen anytime soon but maybe one day. If that ever happens I'd have no problems replacing my existing halo with a new halo or even solitare. I think I will start secretly wishing for a beautiful cushion or emerald cut stone.

Thank you for the ring info. I think it will be super helpful.

livewithease

Shiny_Rock
I just received my fake three stone and solitare in the mail. Diamondseeker2006 thank you for the suggestion. While the proportions aren't exactly what I would get on the three stone it definitely helps me see what a three stone ring would look and feel like on my hand. What's nice is I'm now able to fully compare a solitare to a three stone to a halo using my size stone.

Proportions on fake three stone ring:
1ct center (6.5) flanked by .46ct (5mm) side stones = 16.5mm

Proportions on my potential three stone ring:
1.28ct center (6.95) flanked by .40ct (4.8mm) side stones = 16.55mm

On a size 4.75/5 the 16.5mm across pretty much covers the top of my finger. I could probably go smaller on my sidestones (.33ct) but I fear I would lose too much horizontal coverage.

Key observations:
- I like a clean shank vs one with pave. The clean shank just feels clean and allows the stones to shine. It's also more comfortable in my opinion.
- My center stone which is 1.28ct is big enough for a three stone ring or halo on a size 4.75/5 finger
- The solitare is also very nice but since I'm coming from a halo it feels small and since I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon I'd prefer one of the other styles. It's crazy how much bigger a halo can make a diamond appear.
- I do like the three stone and halo on its own best vs paired with a band. I'm sure if there were times you wanted the extra bling an additional thin diamond band could look lovely. The solitare on the other hand would need to be paired with a diamond band or potentially stacked.
- Side-stones on the three stone with a center measuring approximately 7mm shouldn't be any bigger than .40 unless you prefer all three stones to completely blend together.

Ultimately I feel like I'm seeking something classic yet substantial vs trendy and delicate. That said, I do believe the VC Lily three stone would accomplish those asks.

Time to decide!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results