shape
carat
color
clarity

Three-Stone ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

me1234

Rough_Rock
I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on three-diamond settings. I was thinking about looking into this design but am not sure what the proportions should be with the side stones in relation to the center stone. Also, should the quality of the side stones be the same as that of the center?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
there have been some posts on this topic in the past, you may want to run a search for 'three stone ring' or 'truffle ring' or similar.

there are a few settings out there such as the vatche truffle setting, whiteflash has their own 3 stone setting i believe, some people have created their own which are similar but a modified setting (e.g. nate's 3 stone ring).

there are also differing opinions on what is best for sizing of side stones as well as quality of side stones. in my own opinion, I feel that the side stones should match the center stone or at least be close enough that no one can tell the difference. but if you CAN..I would match the side to the center. you definitely don't want to have large separations between the side stones and center, for example if the center stone is E VVS and the side stones are J SI2..that would be visibly different in my opinion. clarity won't matter too much as long as it is eye clean, so you could go with SI for all 3 stones or VS and SI mix. the color is what should match more closely IMO.

for sizing of the side stones, I have seen it said that some vendors suggest you at least go 50% of the center stone...so if the center stone is 1c..then the side stones should be around. 50c each. But other people like the look of the smaller side stones to give the center stone more visual weight, in which case you may want the center stone to be 1c and the side stones .30c each or similar.

my suggestion is to surf around pscope, see what you can find in the way of 3 stone pix (there are definitelysome out there, esp in 'show me the ring' forum) and get an idea of what people did for their pairings and see what you like. also visit some jewelers and look at their pre-set sets...not for buying but rather to get an idea of sizing pairings, settings etc.

you will start to get a feel for what really speaks to you. then you can build your own ring...sooo much fun!!
1.gif

good luck!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
The side stones on most 3 stone settings I've seen are 50% of the center stone. I have a princess cut 3 stone ring with a 1.52 center stone and .28 side stones. My husband designed my ring and hand picked the .28's because he liked those proportions. It's really just a matter of personal taste. The link below has lots of examples of different 3 stone proportions (though I don't recommend you purchase anything from this company).

http://www.sndgems.com/threestoneanniversaryrings.htm

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like 3-stones where the sidestones are significantly smaller than the center stone.

If this is going to be an e-ring I especially think it's important to highlight the center stone. If it's not an e-ring then you should go with your preference. Is this for an e-ring? I guess you can't consult with her, can you?

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI...so Nate has a truffle (vatche) you can look at it in the 'Show me the ring' forum...several of the manufacturers set set wt sides stones with a specific ct wt center...

Do you have the option of going to a jeweler and looking at diff sizes next to either your or similar center...or as an option if you are dealing on line have them take pictures of what each combo looks like...

The sides stones should mathc each other in color/diam at least...a good jeweler will know haw to match side stones for you...

Do and you SO have your hearts set on diamonds as sides or would you explore other options...I went wiht sapphires...personal pref...cheaper too :)...I was able to see the diff diameter live while at jeweler...picked the color I like most and the diam and let them find the match...

I like the smaller sidestones and the look they give next to the center...

For reference my (see avatar for bigger pic clik on view profile) center is 5.43x5.42 mm and the sapphires are 3.23mm diam

Best of luck to you

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I love the 3 stone ring, but everytime I try one on, I'm disapointed. As much as I love the look of the 3 stone rings not on hands, the the ring look too wide and bulky for my finger. (I never thought I'd think any diamonds could be called bulky!
wacko.gif
I wear a size 5 ring, so my fingers aren't tiny, but my overall hand isn't big).

I think smaller side stones may make the ring more flattering on slim fingers, as it would taper down more and be less wide.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Three stone rings are so popular now
The future, the present, the past...

There are many styles to choose from
It's a look, I'm sure, will last.

(as Mara said, check previous posts on Pricescope)

me1234

Rough_Rock
Yes, this is an engagement ring. I've been getting the idea from her that she really likes the three-stone settings.

me1234

Rough_Rock
Her ring finger is 4.5 full. Think a three-stone would look bulky?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results