shape
carat
color
clarity

Three dresses, please give your honest input! :)

A

Anonymous

I wonder if they'll order both in, hrm...I'll have to ask. They didn't have any in stock that were white, so I haven't been able to try it on to compare. I did look at the other dresses in white that I have pics of vs this one and I agree that the ivory looks better. I just can't tell if I'm judging the color without my negative feelings about those dresses clouding my judgment.

I'm sure it'll work itself out, and I am thinking it will be ivory. I just figured I'd ask since you guys have been SO awesome and helpful, especially after my mom's comment. :rolleyes:

Thank you!! :bigsmile:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I've been told (by bridal associates) that ivory works better for most skin tones than white and I also prefer ivory, because it looks warmer and softer, but it's for you to decide which tone you look better in!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
You could try holding a white dress in front of you and see how white looks
on you.
On me ivory makes my hair, skin and dress look the same color.
Fortunately I was a nurse and got to wear stark white every day :lol:

A

Anonymous

Oh that's true, I'm not sure why I didn't think to just hold two up to me w/o having them on to get a better idea w/o the actual dress influencing my feelings one way or the other. The more I think about it, the more I do like the ivory. It does look warmer, softer and less "run of the mill". It's also my second wedding, and I'm an "older bride". So it's probably more appropriate. :tongue:

As a side note...I'm SO incredibly glad to have found PS! Thinking back thirteen years to my previous wedding, I was ridiculously young, uninformed, and did most of it w/o the help from an older woman. As a result, I did NOT pick the most flattering dress by a long shot. :knockout: and don't even get me started on the ring. :shock: Annnyhow, enough talk about the past. Just threw it in there to elaborate on how thankful I am for all of the lovely ladies on PS. ::)

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I'm an old woman
Very old
But one thing PS has taught me is that there are many valid
ways of looking at things

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I want to respond but I can't tell what you are considering dress 1, dress 2 and dress 3!!!!!
:shock:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I love dress 3 on you! I hope you picked that one. Whatever you wear you will be a beautiful bride and in a dress you choose this time around; never mind your mamma if she is being silly.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tammy, i'm so sorry your mom made such a RUDE comment - when i was engaged, my mom completely ruined my dress shopping experience. As excited as i was to go, i was way more excited for it to be over - she told me that the dress i picked was unflattering. Even after my sister PAID for the dress, she made some comment about how "it was so inexpensive, we could always buy another one and sell it on Ebay." I'm probably not remembering word for word, but that was the gist.

If you search my threads, which is hard for me to do on the new PS, i went shopping A LOT. I posted all the dresses i liked on here and three times got lots of awesome feedback from the ladies of PS. I cut off my head, figured these people don't know me, and i got lots of honest comments, both good and bad. No one said the dress i picked was unflattering -- in fact, they mostly said it really flattered my figure.

Looking back, i loved my dress - and i'm glad that i didn't listen to my mom. we weren't going to agree from the beginniing, and if she had it her way, i'd have been married in a giant ballgown. (which i have no problem with, it just wasn't for me personally). Mom's are strange sometimes, and that gown is GORGEOUS on you - it doesn't remotely look like the statue of liberty (don't really get that comment at all). It gives you such a beautiful sillhouette and i love the neckline. Tell your mom to kiss off - i wish i had :wink2:

p.s. sorry i just wrote a book here, your story just hit a personal chord with me.

A

Anonymous

Pushin40 said:
I want to respond but I can't tell what you are considering dress 1, dress 2 and dress 3!!!!!
:shock:

It's labeled as dress 3, but is the first picture...the ivory one that has the lacy neck.

Violet3 - My mother called me last night at 11:00 pm after I told her that my FI gets up at 5:00 am to go to work to "talk". Turns out, she just wanted to "ask" me to borrow $600.00, to be wired by 12:00 noon today. She fully knows I'm very stressed about finances for a number of reasons outside of my control (vet bills for our elderly cat, back to school shopping for my two kids, ex husband getting fired so no longer paying c/s for the past several months, etc.). Considering all of this, and the fact that this is not new, I'm VERY anti-mom right now. :blackeye: *sigh* I digress, and ramble, sorry.

Anyhow, yes...if I can ever afford the dress, this is definitely my pick. I'm feeling quite defeated, but I do still love it. Thanks again ladies for your input and your support.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I like a white white on pale pinky complexion. I don't think it matters whether this is your first wedding or not because for all intents and purposes it's a white dress. Pick the color that looks the best with your skin tone.

I like #2 and 3 dresses on you. The one I didn't like was the one with ruffled sleeves. But both the others were very flattering. I think the one with the small lace sleeves is pretty and a nice cover if you have any concerns about showing your arms. Not that you should have concerns but I feel like exposed arm pits are tricky to pull off. But if you are comfortable with it, don't think twice because it looks nice on you. Just wanted to plug the sleeved dress because it looks good on you and I prefer the neckline.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear tammy, (((hugs))) is there any way we could try to help you find the dress cheaper than at the salon? There are discount places you could order from (pearl's place) and/or we could try to find it on preownedweddingdresses.com -- who's the maker and i'll start looking asap.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. i didn't comment on the color of the dress (bc i forgot), but i think the color of the sample that you tried on is divine! In fact, i think it really makes the feel of the dress, almost antiquey. I think stark white is hard to wear personally.

A

Anonymous

violet3 that's very sweet! I am really hoping that she does keep her word, and if not that I'll at least have it saved back up by Nov when I wanted to order it. It's not THAT expensive (only approx $600 ironically) and it's a David's Bridal exclusive (first thing I asked, heh).

If for some reason I'm not financially comfortable with ordering it new by Nov., I'll definitely be asking here for suggestions though! I'm just feeling sorry for myself and frustrated at all the setbacks that really could have been avoided if others had been more responsible. :nono:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Dress #3 literally made me say "wow" :love: I've seen a few of the dresses you have posted but I love this one on you.

And since we're all girlfriends here :Up_to_something: I think dress #3 actually has a slimming effect on you! When you said it is not the right size, I was shocked. It looks perfect!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tammy77 said:
tyty33 I have to laugh because I don't have a clue what I saw in the first dress. The day after I posted the thread, I was already having a lot of doubts, and posted as much. I definitely don't feel that way about the third (or first, I guess...argh!) dress in this thread. I'm still in love with it. :love: Now all I need to do is lose a couple of inches, save a little more $$ and TRY to wait til FMIL comes to town before buying it so she doesn't feel left out of the dress shopping experience. :tongue:

I'm so glad I didnt offend you. I'm not usually so blunt but this new dress compared to that other #1...well there is just no
comparison! This dress looks perfect on you and I like the color it is in the picture...but whichever color you think looks better
with your skin. Sometimes stark white on certain skin colors can look harsh.

I give it two big thumbs up!!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dress 3 in ivory!! It is beautiful in that color. A lot of dresses (not all) look cheaper in white-white.

To me, ivory is just a shade of white. You're still wearing a white dress, it's just a bit softer of a color.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a little late to the game here but Dress 3 is absolutely gorgeous!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I'm late to the game, but I LOVE #3 the best. Hands down!

nicoleben

Shiny_Rock
dress 3 without a doubt!! I personally love curves and when dresses can curve you without looking trashy, then it's perfect!!

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Yep I am a fan of dress #3 too (the one with the lacy neck).
It totally cinches in your waist, its very flattering and very very pretty!

And HUGS about Mom. UGH.

A

Anonymous

Thanks ladies! :) We just got back from a little romantic getaway to celebrate our anniversary...so I definitely need to get back on the wagon nutritionally speaking. :oops: It was lovely though! The situation w/my mom is worse, and I worry that she won't pay me back b/c we went on our holiday so in her eyes we aren't REALLY impacted/can afford to not have her pay us back. Ugh. Anyhow, yes, remaining positive and LOVING this dress. It's definitely the one. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results