shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NYC shrink tells Yale audience she fantasizes about shooting white people in head​

By Samuel Chamberlain
June 4, 2021 | 6:59pm | Updated
Dr. Aruna Khilanani presented her cursed-filled rant on white people at Yale University’s Child Study Center.

Dr. Aruna Khilanani presented her cursed-filled rant on white people at Yale University's Child Study Center.Corbis via Getty

A New York City-based psychiatrist told an audience at the Yale School of Medicine in April that she had fantasies of “unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way.”
Dr. Aruna Khilanani spewed the race-hating virtual remarks — in which she also said she’d walk away from the shooting “with a bounce in my step” and that white people “make my blood boil” and “are out of their minds and have been for a long time” — at the Ivy League institution’s Child Study Center on April 6.
Audio of the talk was posted on the substack online platform of former New York Times opinion writer and editor Bari Weiss on Friday, along with an interview of Khilanani conducted by writer and podcaster Katie Herzog.
A flyer promoting the talk and posted online by Weiss titled the lecture, “The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind” and included “learning objectives” such as “Set up white people’s absence of empathy towards black rage as a problem” and “Understand how white people are psychologically dependent on black rage.”
Dr. Aruna Khilanani accused white people of being dependent on “black rage” during her talk.Twitter
Khilanani opened her remarks by telling the audience, “I’m gonna say a lot of things, and it will probably provoke a lot of responses, and I want you to just maybe observe them in yourself.”
She then added “prayers up for DMX” before discussing what she described as the “intense rage and futility” people of color purportedly feel when talking to white people about racism.

“We are calm, we are giving, too giving, and then when we get angry, they use our responses as confirmation that we’re crazy or have emotional problems,” Khilanani said. “It always ends that way, happens every time. Like a goddamn timer, you can count it down.
“Nothing makes me angrier than a white person who tells me not to be angry, because they have not seen real anger yet,” she said — before talking about how she “systematically” cut off most of her former white friends “around five years ago.
“I stopped watching the news,” Khilanani continued. “Once I started, I couldn’t stop.
“It was also a public service,” she said. “I had fantasies of unloading a revolver into the head of any white person that got in my way, burying their body and wiping my bloody hands as I walked away relatively guiltless with a bounce in my step. Like I did the world a f–king favor.”

Later in the talk, Khilanani claimed that conversing with white people about racial issues was “useless because they are at the wrong level of conversation.
“White people are out of their minds, and they have been for a long time … White people feel that we are bullying them when we bring up race,” she said.
“They feel that we should be thanking them for all that they have done for us. They are confused, and so are we.
“We keep forgetting that directly talking about race is a waste of our breath,” Khilanani continued. “We are asking a demented, violent predator who thinks that they are a saint or a superhero to accept responsibility. It ain’t gonna happen.
“They have five holes in their brain. It’s like banging your head against a brick wall.”
Khilanani said that “addressing racism assumes that white people can see and process what we are talking about.
“They can’t,” she said. “That’s why they sound demented. They don’t even know they have a mask on. White people think it’s their actual face. We need to get to know the mask.”
Students walk by the Sterling Hall of Medicine near Yale New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut on October 16, 2014.Corbis via Getty Images
The psychiatrist — who says in her profile on the Independent Doctors of New York Web site that she has “expertise in treating patients who may be curious about questions around their identity” — claimed that Yale promised her footage of the talk would be released to the public the next Monday.
Instead, after a series of delays, it was released internally, only available to anyone with a school ID.
In recent weeks, Khilanani took to TikTok to push for video of her talk to be made public.
“Yo, white amnesia is an amazing thing,” she said in her most recent posting earlier this week.

Virginia parents bullied by other parents for stance against critical race theory

In her interview with Herzog, Khilanani also shared an e-mail she said was forwarded to her from the dean that read: “Good morning, I was surprised to see the announcement for tomorrow’s [talk].
“I imagine replacing the words ‘white mind’ with ‘Asian mind’ or ‘gay mind’ as we work towards equity and inclusion and unity. I wonder what impact this presentation will have,” the dean wrote.
Khilanani responded, “When I’m breaking this down psychologically, what they’re saying on some level is like, ‘We need things to be the same. If you can say “white,” we can say “Asian.” ‘
“Psychologically, they’re actually making a false equivalence,” she said. “What they’re doing psychologically is obliterating the difference between white and Asian, and if you obliterate the difference there’s no f–king problem here, so shut up, you’re the real racist. That’s how it functions psychologically.”
Khilanani did not respond to requests for comment from The Post, nor did Yale Child Study Center Director of Medical Studies Dr. Andres Martin, who was listed as “course director” for the talk.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

She's almost as racist as zillions of white Americans.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised this took so long to surface, and I'm super disappointed in Yale for allowing violence of any kind to be fostered. Yes, white people - lawmakers in particular- are behaving horribly towards every non-white around, but I'm not for anyone using their platform like this.
We white people have created such an atmosphere where others feel like she does. Between Asians being blamed for the virus, restrictive voting laws that really target non-whites, and a general anti-immigrant atmosphere fomented by certain politicians, we are really in bad shape as a country that's supposed to be the land of opportunity and freedom.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I find it extremely disturbing that a mental health professional is spewing vitriol like this, and that any academic institution is hosting her, let alone Yale.

"Race-hating" remarks? Let's call a spade a spade, shall we? This is hate speech, pure and simple.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

She is talking about a fantasy. My own fantasies have not always been peaceful. This does not mean she would or wants to act upon it. She was honest, but its just a fantasy. Fantasies are the place to safely explore ideas that you wouldn't want to act upon.
Most of us do it.

Annette

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any form of racism or violence is deplorable. Painting any group of people with a broad brush is unjust....period. This is the sort of thing that causes more division. It's sick.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The white people here are responding exactly as she said they do when confronted with the blindness of their white privilege so you have validated her points. She makes some good points and I don't read her comments as racist. She is being provocative and gutsy providing her point of view as a person of color who is confronting racism. Those who are disturbed at that are the people who most need to consider her message. As far as her fantasy about shooting some people, I can relate.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts? I'm thankful I don't know anyone like her IRL. And that has nothing to do with her skin color.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The white people here are responding exactly as she said they do when confronted with the blindness of their white privilege so you have validated her points. She makes some good points and I don't read her comments as racist. She is being provocative and gutsy providing her point of view as a person of color who is confronting racism. Those who are disturbed at that are the people who most need to consider her message. As far as her fantasy about shooting some people, I can relate.

With all due respect (and I admire your candor on this forum greatly), I don't agree with this at all.

(But yes of course...as one of the initial, presumably unreflective white naysayers, I wouldn't agree, right? I must be blind to systemic racism...)

She attended and spoke to an audience in the context of her medical profession, addressing childcare physicians in particular....and professed beliefs that all white people are beyond help and that whiteness is in itself a pathology. How is that not totally irresponsible and an abuse of her power as a mental health professional? I assume she has white patients? Her rhetorical violence is totally unacceptable in nearly any context, she sloppily throws diagnoses around in her presentation...and she should certainly be held to a higher standard if she is treating patients struggling with mental disorders.

She got her wish though, she thought the discourse was too dry and pedantic to get 'er done. Now, I can't imagine how she thinks her words will begin to "heal this country" when all white people are in her own words "demented, violent predators. " Why bother achieving harmony anyways?

She has some other fairly bizarre views on mental health, such as gluten intolerance (in all of its forms) is psychosomatic and a form of white guilt because who doesn't love BREAD, right?! Wacky white folks! ....but anyways.

Two thumbs down. This is the way backward, not forwards.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, not sorry, she's a sicko. I won't be told I'm a racist because I don't agree with or won't defend someone as vile as her. I think anyone defending her needs to examine himself or herself.

Furthermore, defending her is as bad as all of the white supremacists that defended Trump's words about Charlottesville.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nontrivial number of my (Indian, very not white) family members are amongst the most racist and classist people you will ever encounter.

Racism isn't just a "white people problem".

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
She's speaking honestly about the anger she feels towards white people, not advocating making her fantasy a reality. In fact, just before the remarks about her fantasy, she notes that she cut off contact with most of her white friends as a "public service" because of the rage she was feeling. That is, she deliberately took action to ensure she didn't allow her fantasy to become reality.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you read the article, what was your first reaction? What was your first question? For people who think she's being unprofessional or she's a sicko, why do you base that opinion on one article? Did you consider that the New York Post has a reputation for being one of the most unreliable news sources? Did you notice the derogatory "shrink" in the article title?

What evidence is there that this particular presentation correlates to the care she gives her patients? Has she been disciplined, sued, or lost her license to practice due to unprofessional patient care?

Put her assessment of white people into the context of all of the POC who have been killed for walking, running, driving, sleeping in their beds because of the amount of melanin in their skin. Put her words into the context of POC who are terrified to send their kids and adult loved ones out of the house because they might not make it through the day without being murdered by whites who think it's always open season on POC. Think of all the hatred directed toward POC that dominated the headlines from 2016-2020 that ripped the facade off the mistaken notion that we had evolved beyond racism. Anyone notice the success a certain group has had in restricting voting rights that will have a negative impact on POC?

Did she scare you, make you squirm, make you angry, righteously indignant? Good. Because if we stay comfortable, we won't change.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Duke speaks honestly about whatever he feels as well.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
If you listen to the full audio, she also discusses how she "feels" white peoples suffering, listening to them as patients. She's acknowledges their suffering as well.

"In my own private practice however, I had the opposite feeling with my white patients. I felt unbearable pain sitting with them and feeling what they were going through. White suffering is desperately painful."

And also conveniently left out of the article, are her later reflection on her fantasies.

"I've been able to take a few breaths now, and I want to put into words why conversation was never possible. It can only teach you what I thought was impossible. My fantasies of being an assassin were more about my own futility."

The way the article frames her remarks out of context is a disservice.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nontrivial number of my (Indian, very not white) family members are amongst the most racist and classist people you will ever encounter.

Racism isn't just a "white people problem".
Really Yssie? But put a racist brown skinned Indian in a hoodie late at night walking through an affluent white neighborhood and.... The power imbalance between POC and whites is the crux of the matter.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
No it's not. Both lump people together by color and assign negative characteristics to the whole.

In general, an equivalence is “false” when:
  • The argument exaggerates how similar two things are for the purposes of drawing a comparison: The two things being compared might not actually have as much in common as the arguer asserts.
  • The similar features being focused on are not relevant to the conclusion being drawn: A common variant is to focus on similar elements that are irrelevant to the larger point being drawn.
  • The argument focuses on similar features of two things while ignoring relevant differences that make them dissimilar: Very often, false equivalence arguments focus heavily on similar features while conveniently ignoring important differences that may invalidate the comparison.
  • The argument compares two things that are similar but on completely different orders of magnitude: For example, an argument comparing two things that are conceptually similar but vastly different in scope and context might be a false equivalence.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In general, an equivalence is “false” when:
  • The argument exaggerates how similar two things are for the purposes of drawing a comparison: The two things being compared might not actually have as much in common as the arguer asserts.
  • The similar features being focused on are not relevant to the conclusion being drawn: A common variant is to focus on similar elements that are irrelevant to the larger point being drawn.
  • The argument focuses on similar features of two things while ignoring relevant differences that make them dissimilar: Very often, false equivalence arguments focus heavily on similar features while conveniently ignoring important differences that may invalidate the comparison.
  • The argument compares two things that are similar but on completely different orders of magnitude: For example, an argument comparing two things that are conceptually similar but vastly different in scope and context might be a false equivalence.

In your mind it is but that's because you have some empathy for her. I have none for either. IMO they are both vile. I did not need your debate lesson.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts? I'm thankful I don't know anyone like her IRL. And that has nothing to do with her skin color.

Yanno, throughout our participation in political threads and other contentious topics, you've frequently made the statement that you "don't know anyone" like that. Do you think that's because you tend to socialize only with people who think like you do? It's a pretty typical behavior for us humans to associate mostly with people who think just like us which is part of the problem.

CutMonkey

Rough_Rock
In your mind it is but that's because you have some empathy for her. I have none for either. IMO they are both vile. I did not need your debate lesson.

You have no empathy for the few biased, out of context quotes you've allowed yourself to read. You can't make the time to listen to the entire speech, and understand her point, or even her rage, of course. Yet you have the time to share your rage against her here.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanno, throughout our participation in political threads and other contentious topics, you've frequently made the statement that you "don't know anyone" like that. Do you think that's because you tend to socialize only with people who think like you do? It's a pretty typical behavior for us humans to associate mostly with people who think just like us which is part of the problem.

Ahh good to see I'm no longer on ignore. :lol: No I don't limit my socialization other than keeping a-holes to a minimum. Do you? I don't have any problems with people in general. Nice to see you again.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have no empathy for the few biased, out of context quotes you've allowed yourself to read. You can't make the time to listen to the entire speech, and understand her point, or even her rage, of course. Yet you have the time to share your rage against her here.

I don't have rage for her. Where'd you get that? My comments are pretty tame. FWIW I've watched quite a few of her IG videos.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh good to see I'm no longer on ignore.

You're getting close...:bigsmile: I've always challenged my comfort zone to keep people with differing points of view in my social circle. There's a difference between those who think differently and those who think differently and are *******s. There are no *******s in my social circle. Life is too short.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're getting close...:bigsmile: I've always challenged my comfort zone to keep people with differing points of view in my social circle. There's a difference between those who think differently and those who think differently and are *******s. There are no *******s in my social circle. Life is too short.

What the heck? I haven't been here in nearly a year and you're gonna dump me just like that? :lol: Come on now. Life is definitely too short for a-holes no matter what or how they think.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than reply to anyone in particular, I just want to say that I really hate the term white privilege. Why??? Because I heard the stories and watched my grandparents, and other relatives work really hard, struggle, and deal with prejudice. I have even experienced it myself. Please do not assume that all white people are prejudiced. Also, please do not assume that just because someone is white that they don't know what prejudice feels like. We should be coming together, appreciating and celebrating our differences, because those differences are what make our country great.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is a mental health professional who sees patients. Some of her patients will undoubtedly see this media coverage because it has been in more than one outlet. How will they react and process this information? Perhaps she doesn't care. I would be concerned if she were my therapist.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results