shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on WF or IDJ for tennis bracelet

hrose

Shiny_Rock
I am looking into getting a tennis bracelet brand new and considering either Whiteflash or ID Jewelry. It will probably be about 3 carats and 3 prong setting. Which would you recommend on why? I know with WF I will get the perfect diamonds (I had their bangle and the diamonds were impressive) which I really like, but the bracelet from IDJ is less costly. I am worried though that I won't like the quality as much. So just looking for some opinions on either!

Q

Queenie60

Call ID Jewelry, talk with Yuketiel and explain to him that you are looking for price scope quality diamonds for your tennis bracelet. Doesn't hurt to buy and if you do not like it you do have a return period. Good luck. Can't wait to see your new bracelet. :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like getting quotes from Brilliantly engaged. I find their pricing to be in between Wf and IDJ. I am a fan of their workmanship and their customer service.

Heck, if you have a Costco near you, you could always order online and return in store if you are not pleased with the bracelet.
http://www.costco.com/diamond-bracelets.html

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Having done the back and forth for months....WF vs IDJ and reading every single thread, watched every youtube video, etc.....I ended up calling IDJ "just to see". I spoke with Yuketiel and bam, I got a 6.2 ct the next day! So....since you want to know.....I also own a WF ACA 5 stone ring (1.55 tcw, 31 pts each) which I wear on the same hand as my IDJ bracelet. I have a 100% upgrade anytime at IDJ as long as there is no damage and I used my Idealscope to check each stone. I used my sharpie to mark 4-5 stones that were not up to my "perfect arrow" standards and sent the bracelet back to IDJ. They switched the stones out and even offered a refund for 3 stones since I had them shorten it (I kept the stones in case I ever need them). All stones are F/G, SI and 14/15 pts each but not one of them have black inclusions. They are ALL eye-clean. IDJ uses a slightly different 3 prong setting that seems more secure. Instead of a single hinge that connects the diamonds, my bracelet has a double hinge so it looks more like a line (not single round stones). I think you can ask for the basic 3 prong instead. My bracelet has been seen by many LA PS'ers and no one has said "you should have gone with WF!". The sparkles are on par with my ACA ring. I told myself..."If IDJ is good enough for Phoenix (PS'er with the most incredible diamonds), then it's good enough for me!". Phoenix, if you're reading, I'm waiting for you to upgrade your bracelet so that I can snag it from IDJ!

Finally, for the price I paid for my 6.2 ct, I could have ALSO bought a 3 ct WF ACA with a few hundred to spare! Just say'in.....

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I have both WF and PS quality diamonds from IDJ . I think WF diamonds are more brighter ,especially their melee . but I went with IDJ myself for my tennis bracelet because of the price . mine is 4ctw bezel set .over all I am happy with it .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd want VS diamonds in a tennis bracelet, and that is part of the reason why IDJ is so much less. The other part is that they are using a step below Whiteflash in cut quality. My feeling is that it is worth the investment to go with the best if I am going to enjoy the piece for the rest of my life and then have a fine heirloom to hand down to my daughters and granddaughters.

Cost versus quality is always a big decision, but I can tell you that I have a lot of regrets from past purchases that were not the best quality. My tennis bracelet was bought pre-PS and luckily was very nice quality considering my lack of knowledge and I am keeping it since I have two daughters. But there is no question if I had it to do over, I'd much rather have one from WF.

I do like IDJ, but if I went with them it would still be a request for excellent cut melee, F-G VS. Pricescope quality generally means SI clarity. I would be very specific in my parameters for the diamonds. The stones will be fairly small in a 3 ct bracelet, so I will say that it will be harder to see the differences in that size stone as compared with a larger stone bracelet. So really, you can go for lower quality diamonds now and save a bunch of money, or go for higher quality if you intend it to be a forever bracelet from either vendor.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and true, Costco would be a good comparison piece for the IDJ. They use a I color, but it is VS, and I am not sure you can see a lot of color difference in a 3 ct tennis bracelet.

hrose

Shiny_Rock
thanks for all the responses!
I have another question about tennis bracelets, what length would be recommended? i measured my wrist and it is 5.5". I know a tennis bracelet should not fit too loosely and I don't like bracelets sliding up and down my arm. So would I go with 6" or 6.25", or even 6.5"? I'd want it to fit as snug as possible without being uncomfortable/constraining, but since bracelets don't typically come in 6" or 6.25", I don't have a way to try it on before ordering.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, hrose! David Klass made me a 3 ctw tennis bracelet recently-- it's beautiful, and his service and pricing were great. My wrist is 6.5" and the bracelet was originally 7". David adjusted it for me to 6.75" and I am pleased with the closer fit. Just enough "wiggle room" without dangling and getting caught on things. (I have a recent thread in SMTB if you want to take a look!) Have fun with your process and of course show us pictures!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eyeclean SI1 is as high as I'd go personally for a tennis bracelet. IDJ would definitely be my choice. I bought gorgeous hoops with nice sized stones for my MIL from IDJ and they are breathtaking, and yes SI stones.

I would NOT go for the WF one.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Since I wear my bracelet 24/7 except for cleanings, I dont consider it an heirloom piece to be handed down to my daughter. I think that by the time I'm done wearing it, some stones would be chipped and the bracelet would need to be replaced as there would be too much wear on the joints. I'm thoroughly enjoying it in the present and for the money, it has become my favorite piece. I feel naked without it and the price per wear is minimal. I was a little apprehensive about the clarity being SI but since none of my IDJ stones have carbon spots I can see (all eyeclean), i don't personally feel the need to go up to VS. My 6.2 ct has .14 ct stones and they're not so large that one would notice carbon spots. I'd only go to VS if the stones were .20 ct or larger. But that's just opinion. It's nice being over 40 with waning eyesight!

hrose

Shiny_Rock
Ally66|1457142410|4000022 said:
Hi, hrose! David Klass made me a 3 ctw tennis bracelet recently-- it's beautiful, and his service and pricing were great. My wrist is 6.5" and the bracelet was originally 7". David adjusted it for me to 6.75" and I am pleased with the closer fit. Just enough "wiggle room" without dangling and getting caught on things. (I have a recent thread in SMTB if you want to take a look!) Have fun with your process and of course show us pictures!

your bracelet is very pretty! how do you like the yellow gold with the diamonds? I was considering yellow or rose but not sure. thanks for letting me know about the sizing, sounds like even a 1/2" longer than my wrist would be enough then.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hrose|1457136827|3999995 said:
thanks for all the responses!
I have another question about tennis bracelets, what length would be recommended? i measured my wrist and it is 5.5". I know a tennis bracelet should not fit too loosely and I don't like bracelets sliding up and down my arm. So would I go with 6" or 6.25", or even 6.5"? I'd want it to fit as snug as possible without being uncomfortable/constraining, but since bracelets don't typically come in 6" or 6.25", I don't have a way to try it on before ordering.

I found this to be a bit of a puzzle myself and spent a good while trying to figure out the sizing. I decided there should be room to put at least one finger snugly between bracelet and arm. I worked with WF and after trying it on, sent it back to be sized. If this is not possible, at least you can do some "research measuring" in a local shop. Also there are charts on the internet that might help.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think my bracelet fits a lot as Jimmianne describes -- I can fit a finger between it and my wrist. No binding, but not too loose. I also imagine there is a bit of personal preference involved!

As for yellow gold, I'm a yellow gold girl all the way! I love it in the bracelet, and I think rose gold would be really lovely, too! I guess it depends on what you like to wear, whether you like to mix and match, and what makes your heart sing! Can't wait to see your finished product!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I got my tennis bracelet from a local jeweler, and he adjusted it to fit my wrist exactly because he said that it will stretch a little as I wear it. I don't wear it everyday, so it hasn't really stretched like he said. My wrist is 5.5", so I would go 5.75" if you want a little space.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results