shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on vintage purple star sapphire ring

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I'm new but have been lurking. I saw a purple star sapphire ring at a consignment store recently but I didn't like the setting. So I started searching online and fell in love with one on etsy. According to the seller, it is most likely from the Art Deco era, in 14k wg, 9.9 mm x 6.95 mm x 7.8 mm for an estimated 5.8 carats. .08 of single cut diamonds (h,vs2). It came in its original box from Otto Jassoy jewelers in buffalo, NY which corresponds to the time frame. The seller answered all of my questions and sent me a lot of extra pics. She seemed very knowledgable. But this is my first major online purchase so I was pretty nervous.

I just got it in the mail and I am very happy with it. the star isn't as well defined as I thought it would be, but it has a lovely transparency, at least to my untrained eye. And I love the color. Very purple - more grayish purple than pinkish purple. But not really lilac - just pretty much purple. It looks natural to me because I can see silk and a few small black inclusions. The star moves all around. It is definitely more visible outside in the sunlight. Inside I can see it if I start looking for it, but mostly inside it just looks like a pretty purple glowy orb. I am attaching a few pics taken with my phone. A few show the star, one shows a side view and one where the star isn't as visible. Would love to know your impressions!

_2932.jpeg

_2934.jpeg

_2933.jpeg

_2931.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your concerns?

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mostly just wanted opinions on the quality of the star sapphire and it it was fairly normal to not see the star all the time. From reading I understand it can be a trade off between star definition and transparency.
Although I'm sure you can have both if you are willing to pay for it! I was mainly looking for a pretty purple color and "glowyness" if that makes sense. I paid around $800 for this ring. I think it was a fair price but it's hard spending money online! Everyone here seems very knowledgable so just wanted some honest opinions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are correct that the star will only be visible under a direct light source (strong lamp, sun, etc) and will not be seen when the light is diffused. You are also correct that a strong straight star with good transparency will be $$$. Pricing seems reasonable for a retail shop as well.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
I know absolutely nothing about star sapphires, but I think it's a very pretty color and looks beautiful on your hand. :)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! Wow! :appl:

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I am in love with it! Its definitely got some imperfections - but the color and glow make me smile. I don't want to take it off!

_2953.jpeg

_2954.jpeg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FYI, the seller is a beloved PS member. Beautiful ring!

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Is she?? I love her and can't recommend her highly enough!!

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Your ring is so beautiful! Congrats!
May I ask who is the Etsy seller? I'm fond of antiques as well, I would love to take a look at her store :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's a beautiful ring! :appl:

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The seller is Otherwised Engaged on etsy. She was excellent with communication (and I asked a ton of questions!). She sent me a lot of extra pictures and a video too!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! I love the different aspects (color, glow) of your star sapphire. :appl:

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the seller recommendation sapphiremomma! Enjoy your gorgeous ring :D

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Got a cool update on this ring. I took it to a very reputable local jeweler who specializes in gemstones (graduate gemologist, GIA certified). He actually classified it as a natural color change star sapphire! It is calculated at 6.12 carats and lightly included (L2). Which I think is pretty good for a star - its definitely more see through than my other stars. Here is what he wrote for color, not sure what the abbreviations mean - bP 3/3 - light very slightly grayish bluish purple and changes to a purplish pink. He even took pictures of it demonstrating the color change on the document.

So that was neat and unexpected. And once I read it, I was like, duh. Because it definitely has pink flashes in bright light. I guess I just didn't think of it as a color change because I haven't seen that much with stars. I didn't get to actually talk with him today when I picked it up so I might go back and ask him some more questions. This guy really knows his gems! Oh and it was hand constructed and corresponds to the art deco period. :dance:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's so pretty :love: I love purple. :bigsmile:

luxroman

Rough_Rock
That's so interesting! It must feel great to keep discovering your ring and find out that it's even more unique than you originally thought :appl:

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
luxroman said:
That's so interesting! It must feel great to keep discovering your ring and find out that it's even more unique than you originally thought :appl:

Thank you! Yes it is very interesting and makes me love it even more!!

LJsapphire2304 said:
It's so pretty :love: I love purple. :bigsmile:

Thanks! Me too - anything in the purple or blue family makes me so happy!

Here is a pic from the appraisal and I tried to get a few pics to demonstrate the color change too.

_1166.png

_3451.jpeg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've done very well. I'm surprised that the appraisal commented on it having a greyish component at all, because that is just not apparent in your photos - it looks quite saturated and lovely.

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux said:
You've done very well. I'm surprised that the appraisal commented on it having a greyish component at all, because that is just not apparent in your photos - it looks quite saturated and lovely.

Thank you! It is pretty saturated. I guess when its not in sunlight it might have a small bit a gray in it if I really analyze it. But I'll forgive him for mentioning it since he noticed the color change and appraised it for much higher than I anticipated :dance:

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
I think it's an absolutely lovely, unique, ring; you got a great deal too!
:love: :love: :love:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one amazing stone with a phenomenal color change :love: I am not a star sapphire fan but this has me wanting one.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrata Sapphiremomma! I really really want to see this ring in person!

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
CaraMish said:
I think it's an absolutely lovely, unique, ring; you got a great deal too!
:love: :love: :love:

Thank you! It may seem silly, but I always enjoy something more if I know I got a good bargain!

lilmosun said:
That is one amazing stone with a phenomenal color change :love: I am not a star sapphire fan but this has me wanting one.

Thank you! Since getting this, I have become a bit obsessed by the stars :D

ilovegemstones said:
Congrata Sapphiremomma! I really really want to see this ring in person!

Yes! We need to have a gem stone play date! :razz:

I feel like this ring was meant to be. If we hadn't went to a crowded restaurant that was right next to a consignment store and had to wait 45 minutes, I never would have went in and looked at the jewelry. Then I never would have seen a cool purple star sapphire in a crappy setting. Then I never would have started my search for one and discovered this beauty! I love it so much :love:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that story!
How does it look indoors in mixed not-so-flattering lighting? How about indoors near a window but not direct light? It reminds me of one of my star sapphires a lot. Beautiful ring! :appl:

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones said:
I like that story!
How does it look indoors in mixed not-so-flattering lighting? How about indoors near a window but not direct light? It reminds me of one of my star sapphires a lot. Beautiful ring! :appl:

I've seen pics of your purple star and I LOVE it! Here are some pics of mine in crappy lighting situations. When it is shaded it definitely leans more towards bluish purple with a hint of gray. When it's inside (my lighting is very warm) it gets a more pinkish tone but still purplish. The star will still come out and play but definitely not as pronounced. I took one by a window too.

_1170.png

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Wow I am drooling! It is gorgeous! Great buy! Your pics are better than then the vendour's. I remember seeing it in her store. I am sending my gems to you to photograph from now on!_

ETA. We can't all be professional photographers but how convsenient is that!

sapphiremomma

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones said:
Thanks! Wow I am drooling! It is gorgeous! Great buy! Your pics are better than then the vendour's. I remember seeing it in her store. I am sending my gems to you to photograph from now on!_

ETA. We can't all be professional photographers but how convsenient is that!

LOL! However all my ring pics are taken with my iPhone! One day I need to get out my fancy cameras, but I'm too lazy :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results