shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Yellow diamond eternity

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
band? Just bought this on ebay .84 yellow diamonds (vendor says natural) 14kt white gold. I am excited but at the same time nervous about an ebay purchase. What do you pser's think?

:confused:

yellow diamond band1.jpg

Yellow diamond band 2.jpg

yellow diamond band 3.jpg

Yellow diamond band.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Natural" can cover a multitude of things. What you need to do is find out if these are "natural" or "natural and treated". So, have the diamonds (and assuming they''re natural) been irradiated or HPHT or coated? The colour suggests some treatment but that may not be the case. Either way it's a pretty ring and I bet will look lovely on the hand.

Hope this helps.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1305749570|2925039 said:
"Natural" can cover a multitude of things. What you need to do is find out if these are "natural" or "natural and treated". So, have the diamonds (and assuming they''re natural) been irradiated or HPHT or coated? The colour suggests some treatment but that may not be the case. Either way it's a pretty ring and I bet will look lovely on the hand.

Hope this helps.

Thanks LD....Do you think colored stones are harder to capture the color? I am hoping they are natural and untreated....that would be great!! Thanks for your comment. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color does not look natural to me either, not that there is wrong with treated diamonds.
There is something wrong with buying from a vendor who lies about color origin though.

When color is of natural origin the price is much much higher so just make sure they ARE natural before paying natural price.

I buy FCDs and will not consider one without a GIA report verifying color is of natural origin.
With a ring like that the reports would cost too much to be commercially viable.

I don't know what the answer is except assume they are treated and only pay treated price.

Natural can refer to two things.
1. The diamond was minded from the earth as opposed to being created in a lab.
2. The color of the diamond is exactly how it came out of the earth, no treatments were used to change the color.

When the vendor says they are natural she/he may mean #1, but hope you are not educated enough to know about #2.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1305749897|2925047 said:
Color does not look natural to me either, not that there is wrong with treated diamonds.
There is something wrong with buying from a vendor who lies about color origin though.

When color is of natural origin the price is much much higher so just make sure they ARE natural before paying natural price.

I buy FCDs and will not consider one without a GIA report verifying color is of natural origin.
With a ring like that the reports would cost too much.

I don't know what the answer is except assume they are treated and only pay treated price.

Natural can refer to two things.
1. The diamond was minded from the earth as opposed to being created in a lab.
2. The color of the diamond is exactly how it came out of the earth, no treatments were used to change the color.

The vendor may mean 1 but hope you don't know about 2.

Hi Kenny,

Assuming they are treated, what would be a fair price? .84ct 14kt white gold. (28 3 pt stones)
Thanks for your comment.
:wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I have no clue; perhaps someone else here does.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll tell you where to get an idea ..... not sure which country you're in but look at television shopping channels. In the UK there are a number of them and they regularly sell irradiated/HPHT diamond pieces. For .84ct you'd roughly pay £250 ish. (That's about $340 or thereabouts).

As Kenny said irradiated or HPHT diamonds are fine, if disclosed, and they are permanent. The only treatment you must REALLY be careful of is coated diamonds. The coating scratches off.

For natural and untreated diamonds the price will be much higher BUT I've seen treated diamond rings sell for more as well so unfortunately price isn't an indicator is the vendor isn't truthful. Why don't you drop them an email and ask?

ETA: Just found a sort of comparitor on GemsTV for you. This is .33ct treated yellow diamonds set in 9k white gold and is selling for £139 in their online store. That means on air it would probably sell for £99 ($154)

http://www.gems.tv/Products/Search.aspx#Product=DFGR35

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
How much they are worth will depend on what color they truly are. These don't look like yellows to me - maybe yellows with a brown or maybe orange modifier. One is tinted green.

Either way - it should be a pretty band once it's cleaned up. When you receive it, I would bring it to an appraiser right away and check whether they were diamonds. They have a bit of a gemstone look to me - but photos can be incredibly deceiving.

I guess to answer your question - I wouldn't pay a great deal for it.

Can I ask how much it cost to purchase?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iota15|1305751354|2925077 said:

I've got a real issue with both of the above. Neither have declared treatments or lack of treatments. :angryfire: I thought in the US treatments had to be declared?????

BTW the diamonds in the band from Ebay aren't dirty. I think you'll find that they're irradiated which is why some look brown, some green etc.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't checked whether they were treated or not. Maybe there's a website wide notice that says, it's "untreated and natural" unless otherwise stated. I believe GOG does that. You don't see each of their diamonds listed as "natural and untreated".

I'm not in the US either, but I thought the law was treatments need to be disclosed. However, if it's natural and untreated, it's not a requirement to say so, although I suppose it would be nice for the consumer to know.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
I have emailed the vendor and ask if they were, natural, unheated or treated in any way. He has responded by saying that he didn't think so, but that he would have the ring checked tomorrow and get back with me. :twirl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taylorbug!|1305760360|2925223 said:
I have emailed the vendor and ask if they were, natural, unheated or treated in any way. He has responded by saying that he didn't think so, but that he would have the ring checked tomorrow and get back with me. :twirl:

If the response is that they are natural mined diamonds and the color is of natural origin ask if they'd be willing to put that into writing on the receipt and sign it.
Read their wording carefully before agreeing to buy.

I doubt they''ll do this unless they are absolutely certain because I'm sure they do understand the difference and they are aware of the liability they are exposing themselves to if they lie and you send some of the stones to GIA and they come back treated for color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be highly suspicious if this is a jewellery vendor saying they're not sure and would have to check. Anybody who buys/sells jewellery for a living would know this immediately? I agree with Kenny that if he comes back and says natural and untreated, you must get it in writing because they REALLY look like irradiated/HPHT treated - the colour is highly suggestive of a treatment. One other thing to be aware of ...... irradiated diamonds cannot be detected just by looking. You can get a feeling/sense but I think you'd have to have them tested by a lab to be sure. May I ask how much this ring is being sold for? That might be an indicator.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1305830210|2925830 said:
I'd be highly suspicious if this is a jewellery vendor saying they're not sure and would have to check. Anybody who buys/sells jewellery for a living would know this immediately?

This definitely. Also, if they are natural, I hope you are not paying for pure yellow diamonds, because they look amberish. That can be a beautiful look, but not for the price of pure yellow. I hope this seller has priced the item fairly, and you are happy with it when it arrives.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
petrock<3|1305841894|2925998 said:
LovingDiamonds|1305830210|2925830 said:
I'd be highly suspicious if this is a jewellery vendor saying they're not sure and would have to check. Anybody who buys/sells jewellery for a living would know this immediately?

This definitely. Also, if they are natural, I hope you are not paying for pure yellow diamonds, because they look amberish. That can be a beautiful look, but not for the price of pure yellow. I hope this seller has priced the item fairly, and you are happy with it when it arrives.

Good point.
Even minded diamonds with GIA-graded natural color can have very very low-priced color, to put it, uhm, politely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results