shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Victor Canera antique cushion?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking about making a move on this stone and would love to hear people's thoughts. It's an M SI2 with a visible feather to one side of the table. I can't see it at a distance, tho it's obvious with a loupe. I don't think it bothers me, but I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on both the color and the inclusion.

I'm planning to set it in a yellow gold Emilya.

Anyone with any thoughts on this?

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/9p5h42-2.034-m-si2-ideal-antique-cushion

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-with-cathedral-shank

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore the cut on the stone. Truly magnificent. Such a nice elongated shape.

I've got to say that the feather, for me, is something I cannot judge at all from the net. I'd have to see it in person and play with the stone. If it was for a RHR or a ring I wore part time, I'd probably be okay with it from a safety standpoint. But not for an engagement ring or one I wore all the time.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy -

Thanks so much for your comments. It's the shape which I can't walk away from. For my tastes (and I realize that all taste is subjective) it's the perfect antique cushion shape - fat and rounded with curved sides. I've seen it in person and it's just lush!

Re the feather; I'm very gentle with my jewelry, and I'm hoping the Emilya setting would protect it somewhat. But if it's just not a stone that will hold up in the long term, then I might need to re-think. The feather doesn't reach the perimeter of the diamond, for what that's worth.

Thanks again - I'll post my final decision when I've reached one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, such a pretty one! :love: I love a lower color in an Emilya! I wouldn't worry too much about the feather in a halo assuming it's eyeclean. I think it is more of a mind clean issue and you are the only one who can decide that!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thoughts, Diamondseeker :wavey:

I can't see the feather unaided, but to be honest, I kind of like that it has a feather. If it was a super white MRB, I'd mind. But the antique cushion cuts are so much more organic, and I don't mind a small indication that they actually came 'out of the earth'. So, no - it doesn't bother me at all.

And I agree - a lower color AC looks awesome in an Emilya! And I think the yellow gold will be very beautiful.

I think I'm going to go ahead with it - but I'll let you know for sure once I've decided. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait! :appl: I really want an antique cushion as well! :lol: I can't seem to limit myself to one!!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited for you, too! :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
m-2-b|1463800457|4034296 said:
So excited for you, too! :appl:

Thanks m-2-b! I aspire to your ring. Never gonna hit it, of course - but I aspire to it. :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1463799409|4034287 said:
I can't wait! :appl: I really want an antique cushion as well! :lol: I can't seem to limit myself to one!!!

Diamondseeker -

I've given up even trying. :errrr:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stone, I thought about buying it myself when it was first listed on his site, but knew my husband would flip out if I bought another diamond. Go for it I am sure it will be beautiful!!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1463834454|4034376 said:
I love the stone, I thought about buying it myself when it was first listed on his site, but knew my husband would flip out if I bought another diamond. Go for it I am sure it will be beautiful!!!!

There's no higher praise than that, arkie! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

It will be a while till it's paid off and longer again till it's set. But when it's done, I'll definitely post a truck load of photos; I can't recall any antique cushion set in a yellow gold Emilya on PS, can you? I'd love to see one, if one existed!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, I LOVE the setting also! can't wait to see the final ring.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone :love:
I am so excited for you. Both the stone as well as the setting are amazing.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely, dreamy stone!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will be a fabulous RHR! :love: :love: :love:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"It will be a while till it's paid off and longer again till it's set. But when it's done, I'll definitely post a truck load of photos; I can't recall any antique cushion set in a yellow gold Emilya on PS, can you? I'd love to see one, if one existed!"

can you give us a ballpark estimate!? Kidding, of course-but this is going to be fantastic. I can't wait to see! :clap: :clap: :clap:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excited!! Can't wait. I do love an antique cushion.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You bunch of enablers, you! :)))

I went ahead yesterday and paid the first installment on it, so we're off to the races!

I'm planning a pair of yellow gold and diamond drop earrings with DK, too, so I'm awash with cool projects! :)

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts - they were very encouraging and reassuring.

Enjoy your weekend!

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
You bunch of enablers, you! :)))

I went ahead yesterday and paid the first installment on it, so we're off to the races!

I'm planning a pair of yellow gold and diamond drop earrings with DK, too, so I'm awash with cool projects! :)

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts - they were very encouraging and reassuring.

Enjoy your weekend!

Hi there, it's been almost a year and I am a first-time diamond buyer. I just placed an order for a Canera Vintage Cushion but haven't put down a deposit yet. I am just wondering if you could post a pic or 2 on here? The stone is for my to-be fiance's engagement ring and I am rather anxious after hours and hours of internet research on various sites. I have been looking at AVC and Brellia as well but they don't seem to have the ones with specs and price I seek now.
In Asia, everyone is buying round brilliants and they have an even higher perceived value but I want something unique for her and something that her friends (and my friends) don't have - hence I went for vintaqe cushion but it seems very difficult to source these diamonds over here. My GF likes diamonds that have fire and sparkle and I know round brilliants are the best in this area. She's open to both round and squarish shapes, so I just hope that Canera Vintage Cushions also sparkle well (I am anxious what if it doesn't sparkle well). Interestingly, in almost all the videos I came across on Youtube, Victor does not seem to want to showoff the sparkle by using spotlights. I've got an impression that he likes to use rather "soft" lighting to show the "natural" brilliance of his cushion diamonds. So, I am hoping that some of you here who own his vintage cushions could share my pics on here.
Anyway I hope you enjoy the ring you've got! And thank you if you reply to this:)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, it's been almost a year and I am a first-time diamond buyer. I just placed an order for a Canera Vintage Cushion but haven't put down a deposit yet. I am just wondering if you could post a pic or 2 on here? The stone is for my to-be fiance's engagement ring and I am rather anxious after hours and hours of internet research on various sites. I have been looking at AVC and Brellia as well but they don't seem to have the ones with specs and price I seek now.
In Asia, everyone is buying round brilliants and they have an even higher perceived value but I want something unique for her and something that her friends (and my friends) don't have - hence I went for vintaqe cushion but it seems very difficult to source these diamonds over here. My GF likes diamonds that have fire and sparkle and I know round brilliants are the best in this area. She's open to both round and squarish shapes, so I just hope that Canera Vintage Cushions also sparkle well (I am anxious what if it doesn't sparkle well). Interestingly, in almost all the videos I came across on Youtube, Victor does not seem to want to showoff the sparkle by using spotlights. I've got an impression that he likes to use rather "soft" lighting to show the "natural" brilliance of his cushion diamonds. So, I am hoping that some of you here who own his vintage cushions could share my pics on here.
Anyway I hope you enjoy the ring you've got! And thank you if you reply to this:)
If you haven't already gone through this thread, do so. On pages 4-7 there CACs. There are links to each individual SMTB thread so click on those for more pics. I've seen CACs IRL, and they are stunning and fiery. I wouldn't worry. You should start a separate thread about your project. Are you going to use victor for the setting too? I totally would. You get a discount on a stunning handmade setting. Can't beat it.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/page-7

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
If you haven't already gone through this thread, do so. On pages 4-7 there CACs. There are links to each individual SMTB thread so click on those for more pics. I've seen CACs IRL, and they are stunning and fiery. I wouldn't worry. You should start a separate thread about your project. Are you going to use victor for the setting too? I totally would. You get a discount on a stunning handmade setting. Can't beat it.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/page-7
Thank you very much. Sorry I am a newbie here and should have done more searches first. If you don't mind, I have a question and I also have done some searches on here already. I came across a cushion brilliant (GIA) and without talking about the color and clarity I am just very curious about the cutting,

Cushion cut
7.33mm x 6.67mm x 2.95mm 1.06ct

Having read enough about cushion cuts in the last couple of days, no one seems to have talked about this specific cut dimensions. This is very thin (but a larger spread for face view for a 1.06ct) and how would it look on a ring?? Maybe it's more for a pendant?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2296.JPG
Thank you very much. Sorry I am a newbie here and should have done more searches first. If you don't mind, I have a question and I also have done some searches on here already. I came across a cushion brilliant (GIA) and without talking about the color and clarity I am just very curious about the cutting,

Cushion cut
7.33mm x 6.67mm x 2.95mm 1.06ct

Having read enough about cushion cuts in the last couple of days, no one seems to have talked about this specific cut dimensions. This is very thin (but a larger spread for face view for a 1.06ct) and how would it look on a ring?? Maybe it's more for a pendant?
Hey groov, I am by no means a cut expert. Truly. You should start a separate thread in rocky talky so experts can chime in. I can only tell you what I have observed in staring at diamonds for hours.

The only thing I can tell with the measurements is that it seems Spready. With cushions you need ASET images. I recently looked at a couple well cut four main cushions irl and they didn't look nearly as fiery as my OEC. My opinion only, I feel like brilliant cuts (generic not precision cut) don't look nearly as fiery and lively as well cut OEC OMC! In your case, you have a precision cut CAC, which can't be beat. I am sharing a whole row of modern cushions. One was a D, F, I. The F was nicely cut, as far as I could tell under a loupe. Still the style of cutting exhibits the splintery facets, while the old cut styles show chunky facets and bug reflections. So it's definitely a matter of what your eye prefers. When I look at the splintery facets, my eye tends to focus on the darkness in the center so it's hard for me to get over it.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
IMG_2296.JPG
Hey groov, I am by no means a cut expert. Truly. You should start a separate thread in rocky talky so experts can chime in. I can only tell you what I have observed in staring at diamonds for hours.

The only thing I can tell with the measurements is that it seems Spready. With cushions you need ASET images. I recently looked at a couple well cut four main cushions irl and they didn't look nearly as fiery as my OEC. My opinion only, I feel like brilliant cuts (generic not precision cut) don't look nearly as fiery and lively as well cut OEC OMC! In your case, you have a precision cut CAC, which can't be beat. I am sharing a whole row of modern cushions. One was a D, F, I. The F was nicely cut, as far as I could tell under a loupe. Still the style of cutting exhibits the splintery facets, while the old cut styles show chunky facets and bug reflections. So it's definitely a matter of what your eye prefers. When I look at the splintery facets, my eye tends to focus on the darkness in the center so it's hard for me to get over it.

Thank you so much for sharing! Yes the depth is 44.2% it is spready but the quotation came from a very renowned vendor so I was curious. Not being able to view the stones myself is the hardest part I can only rely on website photos, cert and ASET. But most cushion cuts over here I've come across are modified cuts, small spread and the sparkles ("crushed ice")just lose to every round brilliant, figuratively speaking. Think I should just settle on the CAC I reserved, may go around for another try in my city tomorrow. I am starting to think I actually like diamonds more than my GF does! Anyway thanks again:)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi groovnstar :)

I bought the diamond - then traded it up - then traded it up again, till I ended with the specific stone I wanted - which I intend to use in a 3 stone ring. I was going to use the cushion to do a halo'd solitaire - but changed my mind in the end, decided I wouldn't wear another diamond ring, and switched to a stone I'd use as a side stone.

I'm sorry I cant help you! I have to say, tho, if I was starting out, I would go with an antique-style cushion in a heartbeat. They're soft and sensual and LUSH! As a single stone, I prefer them to round brilliants. The round brilliant I ended up with will, however, as I said, go into a three-stone. But as a stand-alone, I'd definitely go with a cushion.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Hi groovnstar :)

I bought the diamond - then traded it up - then traded it up again, till I ended with the specific stone I wanted - which I intend to use in a 3 stone ring. I was going to use the cushion to do a halo'd solitaire - but changed my mind in the end, decided I wouldn't wear another diamond ring, and switched to a stone I'd use as a side stone.

I'm sorry I cant help you! I have to say, tho, if I was starting out, I would go with an antique-style cushion in a heartbeat. They're soft and sensual and LUSH! As a single stone, I prefer them to round brilliants. The round brilliant I ended up with will, however, as I said, go into a three-stone. But as a stand-alone, I'd definitely go with a cushion.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Yes I was so sure that I wanted a cushion for the engagement ring but in my heart I knew something was off. Then I checked out the euro rounds on Victor again and then I knew those fit perfectly with my girlfriend's personality. I think the cushion was more of my own preference which I wanted to surprise her with but the euro round is really a perfect match for her:)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet she'll love it - Victors euro rounds are sublime. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results