shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this tanzanite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
hey there,
I am trying to find a stone to put into an 18k rose gold setting I am recycling, and it will be my first coloured stone purchase (yay!).
Here is the thread from when the ring housed my 0.6ct PoH diamond
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-poh-rhr-more-pics.83238/

I would love to get something bigger, but of course am restricted by the proportions of the setting. (original stone ~ 4.8 x 4.8 x 3.4
To be honest, I am having some trouble finding coloured stones in this size, so I would love any suggestions.

So far I''ve found this tanzanite - I lurve the colour, but not sure if the cut is so hot?
http://www.ajsgems.com/cpage/products/cart

Would love some ideas/suggestions, thankyou!
1.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
You have to post a link to the stone directly and not your shopping cart in order for us to see it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I can''t see it either.

You will need to baby a tanzanite - especially in a ring. If it''s a piece you intend to wear a lot, I would recommend going with a less delicate stone.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 9:47:03 AM
Author: Pandora II
I can''t see it either.

You will need to baby a tanzanite - especially in a ring. If it''s a piece you intend to wear a lot, I would recommend going with a less delicate stone.
Pandors, is a tourmaline ok for a ring?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 11:09:39 AM
Author: arjunajane

I can''t see it either.

IMO all stones need care, but sapphires and diamonds are tougher than most.

I would treat tourmaline the same way as I treat garnets. I wear my e-ring everyday (unless I''m going out fossil hunting or something where I''m using my hands a lot), but it comes off as soon as I get home after work and goes in it''s box. I also have a spare box at work in case I have to carry heavy things or do something with my hands where I might clunk it.

Tourmaline is definitely less potentially problematic than tanzanite! I have a problem with tanzanite these days as nearly all of it is treated and there are now coated stones on the market too.

gemlover7476

Rough_Rock
Totally agree with above opinions -- Tanzanite is not intended for rings, too fragile. Great for ear rings or pendants. However, most tanzanite on the mass market now is of inferior quality. i can''t see the item on the website, either, so can''t make even a guess at its quality.

As already pointed out, if you want blue, sapphire is a much better choice for a ring.

Good luck at finding a stone that makes you feel good and that has the beauty that you are desiring.

H

hlpkaixin3344

You''ll need to get one custom cut to that size.. but they are fragile, or as one wag put it.. "... after 9 months, they turn into a cabouchon!.." then you''ll need it recut. If it''s an everyday ring, you might want to rethink your choice of stone.. something in the 7.0 or better hardness. If not, then your fine..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have trouble with my tanzanite rings but I don''t wear them every day. I too have a ring box everywhere (work, purse, etc.) so if my rings might get whacked I take them off. I can''t wait to see what you get.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 11:09:39 AM
Author: arjunajane

I can''t see it either.

arjunajane I have just had a tourmaline ring made. It really is stunning but not for everyday wear.
I got my stone from Ed at Wildfishgems.com.
He is great to work with and does layby too!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou all for your advice.
I will steer clear of tanzanite, and am currently in talks with a couple of vendors trying to find a suitable stone.
1.gif

Katebar, love love love your new ring btw!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you made a good choice staying away from a tanzanite for a ring. Take it from someone who experienced "sheering" off the top of my tanzanite stone while I was working as a bank teller years ago. I almost cried on the spot. I had only had the ring for 2-days........
39.gif

What about a lovely spinel or light pink colored sapphire???

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with the rest about the softness of a tanzanite. A tourmaline would be a better choice but still isn''t meant for an everyday ring. CCN is correct in that a sapphire or spinel would be great in an everyday ring and they come in a wonderful variety of colours.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results