shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this stone? yes/no?

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
Hello all - I am new to this forum and have learned so much already from all of the helpful comments here! I am looking at this stone and would like to get your expert opinions. The price is 17k for this:

2.3ct, G, SI1.
Excellent Cut, Polish and Symmetry
Very Strong Blue
Table: 58%
Depth: 60.7
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.6

Your thoughts would be great1 Thanks again!

3983497_round_excellent_cut_g_0.jpg

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. Ask to check for heaviness (very unlikely) [edit: wow... autocorrect!! Meant to write HAZINESS].

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
What does heaviness mean? Thanks teobdl.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers look good. Yeh, what is heaviness? Never heard that term before. :confused:

Edit
Maybe he meant oiliness due to the fluorescence???

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes--autocorrect got the best of me. I was trying to write "haziness" and it corrected to heaviness. I changed my post above.

Ask to check for haziness due to strong fluorescence.

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
Thanks teobdl. I did ask about the haziness, the online dealer will assess once it arrives from the overseas vendor. i am also concerned about that. Is it an easy thing for a gemologist to determine? is it usually a clear yes or no on haziness? I'm also worried about the inclusions on the northwest corner of the stone being visible without a scope. Assuming it's eye clean, no haziness, and the light performance is great, is 17K a good deal for this stone?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Who is the grading company (GIA, AGS, etc)?

Don't look at it if it's not one of those.

I haven't looked a diamond prices much lately... seems like a low number though. Do a quick search on James Allen or bluenile using those stats to compare

A competently trained gemologist will be able to see the haziness. You should know that haziness in strong fluorescence is not at all common. But if it's priced low, it could be what's driving the low price. Beware of good deals. I'm not saying don't do it (love me a good deal), but be extra critical when you see one.

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
It's a GIA cert dated 9/2014.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it looks like a nice diamond. I very much doubt you'd see that inclusion w/ the naked eye... but then again, angles sometimes reveal stuff you can't see from just 1 photo. It's important to get it evaluated by a gemologist for eye cleanliness and any other concerns as far as inclusions or things that might mess w/ the optics.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
HCA is .8 "excellent"

Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 0.8 - Excellent
within TIC range

That is an excellent price. 2.3 G SI on JA 26k-31k

Does the GIA report any "graining" ? Sometimes that can cause haziness as well.

Love the VSB fl. though. Gives the diamond personality ...a blue hue in certain lighting.

judostar

Rough_Rock
Can I ask where you are looking for your diamond? I am looking for something similar and like the specs that you have posted.

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
Thanks ariel144, the GIA report indicates additional clouds and pinpoints are not shown.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bigmikey|1421360669|3817040 said:
What does heaviness mean? Thanks teobdl.
It means the stone is so (heavy/large) that you can't even raise your hand... :wink2:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dang. My GIA/G/SI1 1.7 carat cost $17k.... I'm a bit jealous...

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
I'm hoping the stone does not disappoint. The price seems too good to be true, which means it usually is? Ha

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
Any more thoughts/votes? I have to make a decision this week! Yikes

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
There is a 30 day return policy. Yes, I agree, the low price makes me paranoid. When the online dealer receives the stone from the vendor, I will ask for idealsope and aset images. Anything else i should be requesting to ensure this is a legitimate stone?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As stated earlier make sure to check if the strong blue is giving it an oily/milky/hazy look. Also check if there is graining that is affecting brilliance. The price does seem too low to me for it to not have some sort of problem that wasnt shown on the report.

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
The gemologist just got back to me indicating that there's a little bit of milkiness from the fluorescence. What a bummer

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
Bigmikey|1421782713|3819410 said:
The gemologist just got back to me indicating that there's a little bit of milkiness from the fluorescence. What a bummer
of course. If you must buy a stone with fluorescence to save money...then get faint or medium. But remember you will take a big hit when you try to upgrade or sell..I buy and sell diamonds on 47th st NYC

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AlexPark|1421784083|3819418 said:
Bigmikey|1421782713|3819410 said:
of course. If you must buy a stone with fluorescence to save money...then get faint or medium. But remember you will take a big hit when you try to upgrade or sell..I buy and sell diamonds on 47th st NYC

+1 regarding fluorescence

BTW AlexPark--please change your status to trade. :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results