shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this setting for a lab AVR / Distinctive Gem Heritage Round?

mandaluv1119

Rough_Rock
After lots of research on what I want for my upgrade project, I settled on a lab AVR/Distinctive Gem Heritage Round. I'm planning to work with a local jeweler to have it set in this setting, which I will have made in rose gold.

The center stone in the stock setting is .75 ct, and it will be scaled up to accommodate a 1 ct stone. My finger size is 5, so I should get excellent finger coverage with that.

I'm loving the overall idea of the juxtaposition of the clean, modern interpretation of the art deco-ish halo and the modern interpretation of an OEC.

Opinions? I've been dithering for a while but love this so much that I'm about to pounce.
20210508_115115.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you be using MRB melee in the halo/shank?
See if you can check how your stone looks dropped into the setting before you get it made for your AVR.
The reason I’m asking is that AVRs and MRB have quite different facet patterns with AVR tending to the bigger, broad facets and flashes of light and MRB to smaller facet and splintery flashes of light. This may not look as coherent as you’d like it to.

mandaluv1119

Rough_Rock
Will you be using MRB melee in the halo/shank?
See if you can check how your stone looks dropped into the setting before you get it made for your AVR.
The reason I’m asking is that AVRs and MRB have quite different facet patterns with AVR tending to the bigger, broad facets and flashes of light and MRB to smaller facet and splintery flashes of light. This may not look as coherent as you’d like it to.

Yes, I'm going to wait until I have the diamond in hand before I fully commit to a setting. I expect that the whole thing will have a different "flavor" with the AVR instead of a MRB, but I don't think the teeny tiny melee being MRBs will be a problem. What I really like about this halo is that it provides a sort of "frame" and allows the center stone to take center stage. But if I decide I don't like it after all, no harm no foul.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if the setting might flow a little better if the halo had softer corners and less of an airline.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'm going to wait until I have the diamond in hand before I fully commit to a setting. I expect that the whole thing will have a different "flavor" with the AVR instead of a MRB, but I don't think the teeny tiny melee being MRBs will be a problem. What I really like about this halo is that it provides a sort of "frame" and allows the center stone to take center stage. But if I decide I don't like it after all, no harm no foul.

Good plan! Take pictures for us to enjoy when your lovely AVR arrives!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Second this. Do you know when you will get it?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Ooo... Can’t wait!

mandaluv1119

Rough_Rock
It's here, and it's lovely! I love the way the stone twinkles because of the OEC cut. At first I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't look all that much bigger than my .6 ct D VS2 mined oval, but I think it will look bigger once it's set, especially if I go with a halo setting like I'm planning.

20210512_095149.jpg 20210512_094621.jpg 20210512_095524.jpg 20210512_100632.jpg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely. Congratulations.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
wow that's super pretty! congrats! please post more pics as you get it set :)

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!

mandaluv1119

Rough_Rock
I started another thread on my finished ring, but I just wanted to close the loop on this thread in case others use it for research in the future. Here she is! I'm thrilled with my decision to use rose gold with an OEC. It gives the same ring a softer, less modern vibe. I've always thought of myself as not a "halo person" but it turns out I am very much a "floating halo person." The OEC twinkles like crazy and looks much bigger in the setting. The "edge to edge brightness" Jon talks about is real. Worth every penny of the premium you pay for his branded stones if you love vintage cuts.
20210622_141517.jpg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started another thread on my finished ring, but I just wanted to close the loop on this thread in case others use it for research in the future. Here she is! I'm thrilled with my decision to use rose gold with an OEC. It gives the same ring a softer, less modern vibe. I've always thought of myself as not a "halo person" but it turns out I am very much a "floating halo person." The OEC twinkles like crazy and looks much bigger in the setting. The "edge to edge brightness" Jon talks about is real. Worth every penny of the premium you pay for his branded stones if you love vintage cuts.
20210622_141517.jpg

Gorgeous!❤

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results