shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Sapphire

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Thoughts? Also, whats up with the appraisal value being so much higher than cost? I'm sure its inflated but seems a bit much...

sap8_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthstar|1394320171|3630171 said:
Thoughts? Also, whats up with the appraisal value being so much higher than cost? I'm sure its inflated but seems a bit much...

sap8_0.jpg

It's a huge sales tactic to always say something is worth X amount, but you're getting it for Y amount, and X is substantially higher than Y. Appraisals are not always based on facts and fair market value.

As for the gem itself, the treatment states "heated" but that doesn't mean it's not diffused either, which can substantially lower the value of the gem.

There are too many unknowns, and the fact that there isn't a reputable lab report which delineates all the possible treatment on the stone, doesn't justify its value to me in the $2700 range, let alone the appraised value. Is there a lab report on this stone? An in house appraisal does not suffice, and is a conflict of interest.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
almost $2000/ct for a 1 ct-ish heated stone is at the very end of prices.

which MIGHT be justified for very fine color and good cut. but it is virtually impossible to discern true color based on that photograph. ask for some hand shots and PSers might be able to chime in.

also, as TL said, you need a lab report confirming heat only (for that price, it should be included).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be very surprised if that stone (and most others listed by the eBay seller) is actually in their hands. They presently have 42,489 (!) diamonds & loose gems listed for sale. Take a collective look at the sapphires they have listed on eBay -- 447 of 'em -- and note the widely varying photos, which sure suggest to me that the stones are not in-house, but from diverse sources:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Sapphire-/1...nes_1&hash=item5d4970ffc0&_ssn=wonderjewelers

Assuming that they've not simply "lifted" the photos (they have a brick-and-mortar store in LA that, with 1 exception, gets good reviews from Yelpers who aren't just 1-time posters & it's been more than 5 years since the seller received any negative feedback on eBay or neutral feedback of any consequence), I doubt they can provide hand shots of that sapphire and/or will offer to obtain an independent lab report where a listed stone doesn't already have one (about 100 of the listed colored gems are described as having a GIA or AGL report).

Honestly, I think you'd be better off continuing to explore the possibilities offered by the respected vendors listed here on the CS forum (the list includes some reliable eBay sellers) rather than generally trawling through eBay for an e-ring sapphire. And how about starting a new thread by posting your priorities-preferences (e.g., cut, color, deadline if you've set one for yourself) & target budget to solicit forumites' assistance?

aaronl

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1394373489|3630458 said:
I would be very surprised if that stone (and most others listed by the eBay seller) is actually in their hands.
Good instinct. It's available (to the trade) through Gem 2000.

There are three images on the eBay page, each suggesting a different shape. The square-looking pictures have an inaccurate width tags that "squish" the image. To see what the image actually looks like, look at the topmost image on the eBay page, or right click one of the square-looking images and open it. The dimensions listed (7x5.6 mm) are consistent with the topmost image, the other images when opened on their own, and the Gem 2000 listing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not familiar with the vendor and thus would do more background research on the vendor before vesting more time into the sapphire. eBay feedback isn't necessary the entire picture and there are many ways one can play around with the feedback to make it look better than it ought to be.

Truthstar

Rough_Rock

Is this an accurate statement? Meaning, if I go to a jeweler I should lean towards this price per ct? Also, would a fair appraisal be higher than the actual cost? Obviously not x2 but within a reasonable amount.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthstar|1394835374|3634319 said:

Is this an accurate statement? Meaning, if I go to a jeweler I should lean towards this price per ct? Also, would a fair appraisal be higher than the actual cost? Obviously not x2 but within a reasonable amount.

Unfortunately, not enough information is known about the gem to make that determination. It can be worth anywhere from $200 to $2000/ct, but we don't know if its diffused, and is the color accurate, does it shift color, etc. . .

It could also be synthetic, we just don't know. I would take appraisals with a grain of salt. They're really not always accurate, and if done in house, they're a conflict of interest.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with aaroni that sapphire is the heated, Ceylon sapphire bearing item #1443 on the Gem 2000 page that he linked above (thanks, aaroni -- I had a good time traipsing through the site!); the eBay jeweler even incorporates that same number in their listing. If you go to that page, you'll see that it is one of the sapphires for which Gem 2000 has not posted an independent lab report, at least not yet.

Gem 2000 itself is an established, legit importer-wholesaler based in Ohio; 1 of the 2 co-owners, Kambiz Sabouri, is the current vice-president of AGTA's board of directors:
http://www.agta.org/about/board.html

So if you're interested in seeing it in real life, there's no downside to asking a local jeweler/bench if they will "memo it in" (a form of consignment between a wholesaler & someone else who is in the trade) with no obligation on your part. And see if your local person will work out with Gem 2000 the particulars re a lab report. Going local to see, and quite possibly purchase, a stone that's available only to the trade seems preferable imo to using an eBay vendor who also doesn't have it in hand.

If your local quotes you a higher price than that jeweler who has an eBay storefront, you could use the eBay listing price as a negotiating tool... but allow for the fact that your local is giving you more personal service & enabling you to see the stone without first buying it -- and that before the Tucson show, JCK was alerting those in the trade to
Expect sticker shock when perusing the selection of sapphires. Prices have been more volatile in the better grades, and heated fine quality Ceylon blue sapphires have achieved price levels previously reserved for unenhanced material.
http://www.jckonline.com/2014/02/02/arizona-or-bust-gem-pricing-february-2014

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results