shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ruby?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I haven't been looking specifically, but I've always longed for a red (not pink/purple) sort of sleepy ruby. This one just popped up out of nowhere and I've been going back to it again and again.

Vendor says no heat/no treat and is willing to provide an AIGS cert for it. It measures about 9x6.5 and is from Mozambique. This is the color I love.

I'd like to hear what you think. I can take it, and I so much appreciate the critical eye of the CS posters.

what do you think.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Have you bought from this vendor before? And if so, how have you found the accuracy of the photos?

My concern with this stone, which looks lovely in the photo, is that the tweezers look very, very light, and the light on the facets is very white, which makes me wonder if the photo has been tweaked, and how dark the ruby actually is. I'd love to be wrong, but my guess is that it is not the same color as the photos.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The seller has 100% feedback with lots of sales. There also is a video of the stone that looks very nice, but I don't know how to post that here (and I'm loathe to post a link in fear of it being sniped).

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Aoife. It looks like they have a pretty strong light shining on it so I'd expect it to be darker in person.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here's a small vid clip. Is this any better? And 7 day return policy, so if it arrive and is too dark I could return it.

vid clip.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
In the last photo you posted it looks considerably less saturated, but it sounds to me as though you really want to take a look at it IRL, and when I feel that way, as long as there is a good return policy, I usually go ahead and get the stone in and take a look. I just returned a stone like that, but if I hadn't actually seen it, that stone would have haunted me. So, if you want to be enabled, go for it! As long as you are confident of the return policy. You just never know.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don't know since I really hadn't budgeted the $$ for it. I have the funds, but I don't really know that I want to spend them on something that wasn't in queue for a specific project. :???:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1311096415|2972332 said:
The seller has 100% feedback with lots of sales. There also is a video of the stone that looks very nice, but I don't know how to post that here (and I'm loathe to post a link in fear of it being sniped).

Check the feedback on toolhaus.org, don't trust the feedback on ebay. They don't show all of the history of negative feedback.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without the seeing the video myself, are the inclusions (silk) too great in quantity as to make it too sleepy/translucent?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I'm wary because of both tweezers and the glare off the facets. I'd ask for additional photographs. Does it have flouro? That's one of my favorite things about rubies, and I'd go for one that was sleepy if it had flouro, but probably not otherwise as it wouldn't sparkle or 'glow' as much as if it had flouro.

Also, 9x6.5 is a great size for a ruby, which is something keep in mind.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never comment on rubies because the only ones I like are top quality, and since I can't afford those, well. . . :blackeye:

Personally that ruby doesn't do much for me, but if you love it, then go for it, but make sure you do get a lab report. I agree with Chrono that it's way too translucent, instead of transparent, or even lightly sleepy, and I am concerned about the accuracy of the photographs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy it, please make it conditional on the AIGS report stating no heat/no treatment and if it's not, you get a full refund plus the cost of the report.

Also, make sure you pay via Paypal and use a credit card. That way, you can use either of those routes to get your money back if things don't go to plan.

Unfortunately rubies are typically highly treated i.e. glass, lead filled, BE diffused etc etc. So it's wise to take precautions.

The only other comment I would make is that a sleepy ruby can lack "ooomph" in person and look a bit flat.

Good luck if you pull the trigger and please keep us updated.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color does not seem a little orangey and not evenly distributed throughout the stone. I think it also seems heavily included to me, I think I would hold off and keep looking. Something about the photos just doesn't read right to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results