shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Radiant (ASET image included)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trestin

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I''ve been lurking on the forum for a while now, soaking up every bit of information I could, and I think I may have finally decided on the first part of the engagement ring I''m getting for my better 2/3rds - the stone!

She really likes the look of a square radiant, and I''m looking forward to something with some fluorescence. I''ve come across this stone at James Allen, and it looks like what I''ve been seeking:

Shape: Radiant
Carat weight: 1.01
Cut: Premium
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 59.6%
Table: 66.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong
Measurements: 6.08*5.87*3.50
Ratio: 1.04

The sales manager I''ve been working with says the ASET image is one of the best he''s ever seen in a radiant, but I want your guys'' opinion. What do you think?

Thanks in advance! You''ve already helped me a ton just from reading your posts.

Trestin

1203771.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Trestin and welcome!

Radiants and other fancy shapes aren't normally cut with the highest levels of beauty and performance in mind, the ASET isn't the best I have seen. I prefer to see more red, the overriding colour in this image is green, what can happen is the stone will need strong lighting in order to perform. The table is larger than the depth, ask this vendor how the stone looks in person.

What is your priority here, do you want a radiant with the best cut you can find or are you not as concerned with that? This is important for us to know in order to help you.

I have never ever seen so many radiants and other fancy shapes up for deliberation, its sure keeping us busy and putting us through our paces!! Really unusual.
26.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 3:26:38 AM
Author:trestin
Hello,

I''ve been lurking on the forum for a while now, soaking up every bit of information I could, and I think I may have finally decided on the first part of the engagement ring I''m getting for my better 2/3rds - the stone!

She really likes the look of a square radiant, and I''m looking forward to something with some fluorescence. I''ve come across this stone at James Allen, and it looks like what I''ve been seeking:

Shape: Radiant
Carat weight: 1.01
Cut: Premium
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 59.6%
Table: 66.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong
Measurements: 6.08*5.87*3.50
Ratio: 1.04

The sales manager I''ve been working with says the ASET image is one of the best he''s ever seen in a radiant, but I want your guys'' opinion. What do you think?

Thanks in advance! You''ve already helped me a ton just from reading your posts.

Trestin
If you don''t mind the strong blue fluorescence like in the one you posted, this one would be significantly better than the one you are considering.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4859/

To see a number of well cut Cut Cornered Square Brilliants See Here:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=2048&resultsColumns=268435471

Also I would say its best if getting a black background ASET to also get an Idealscope, its difficult to tell where the leakage is in the image you posted as black mixes with green.

trestin

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 7:05:42 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Trestin and welcome!

Radiants and other fancy shapes aren''t normally cut with the highest levels of beauty and performance in mind, the ASET isn''t the best I have seen. I prefer to see more red, the overriding colour in this image is green, what can happen is the stone will need strong lighting in order to perform. The table is larger than the depth, ask this vendor how the stone looks in person.

What is your priority here, do you want a radiant with the best cut you can find or are you not as concerned with that? This is important for us to know in order to help you.

I have never ever seen so many radiants and other fancy shapes up for deliberation, its sure keeping us busy and putting us through our paces!! Really unusual.
26.gif
Thanks soo much for responding. I''m looking for the best I can get at my price point (roughly $4k), and around 1 ct. I like the idea of a stone with fluor, as something unique that differentiates it.

The stones that were mentioned at GOG look great, but unfortunately look to be outside my price range.

Thanks again!

Trestin

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2010 4:11:33 PM
Author: trestin

Date: 3/27/2010 7:05:42 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Trestin and welcome!

Radiants and other fancy shapes aren't normally cut with the highest levels of beauty and performance in mind, the ASET isn't the best I have seen. I prefer to see more red, the overriding colour in this image is green, what can happen is the stone will need strong lighting in order to perform. The table is larger than the depth, ask this vendor how the stone looks in person.

26.gif
Thanks soo much for responding. I'm looking for the best I can get at my price point (roughly $4k), and around 1 ct. I like the idea of a stone with fluor, as something unique that differentiates it.

The stones that were mentioned at GOG look great, but unfortunately look to be outside my price range.

Thanks again!

Trestin
Hi Trestin,

Glad to help! I had a look around for you and found this one that might suit you, it also has fluorescence - if interested ask for an ASET image.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VVS2-Premium-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1093573.asp

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
doesn''t look too bad to me.

trestin

Rough_Rock
I also looked at a G, VS1 at James Allen, and its ASET was much more green and less red. Not seeming like the best choice.

1203513.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 3:58:20 AM
Date: 3/27/2010 9:36:01 PM

Author: JulieN

doesn't look too bad to me.

Thanks. Are you saying the one I posted doesn't look too bad, or the one at James Allen suggested by Lorelei?
I think the ASET picture that you posted doesn't look too bad. It's got a red in the center, but a bit of green under the table.

Lorelei's find has the pavilion faceting similar to a princess, but with the corners chopped off. This style is also a good option.

I think one of these may have potential, but I'd want an ASET to make sure (or trust JA's staff to pick the nicest one.) Basically, the stones in the "real diamond photo" isn't showing as white looking (more gray) which indicates to me there may be a light return issue. What I'm looking for is at least as much red in the ASET as the first one you posted, but I think the direct and indirect (that is, red and green in ASET, respectively) light return will be a little bit more evenly distributed in these stones.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1205970.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1268562.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1203776.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

trestin

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. Any ideas what the advantage of this one would be when compared to the one I posted? Or would this just be a good data point as far as ASET images go of radiants? I can request an ASET image, and see how it compares.

trestin

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Are you saying the one I posted doesn''t look too bad, or the one at James Allen suggested by Lorelei?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 4:06:11 AM
I also looked at a G, VS1 at James Allen, and its ASET was much more green and less red. Not seeming like the best choice.
This ASET to me isn't great at all, not much red- its probably one of those diamonds which doesn't do much once strong lighting is removed.

trestin

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 4:18:12 AM

Thanks. Are you saying the one I posted doesn''t look too bad, or the one at James Allen suggested by Lorelei?
I think the ASET picture that you posted doesn''t look too bad. It''s got a red in the center, but a bit of green under the table.

Lorelei''s find has the pavilion faceting similar to a princess, but with the corners chopped off. This style is also a good option.

I think one of these may have potential, but I''d want an ASET to make sure (or trust JA''s staff to pick the nicest one.) Basically, the stones in the ''real diamond photo'' isn''t showing as white looking (more gray) which indicates to me there may be a light return issue. What I''m looking for is at least as much red in the ASET as the first one you posted, but I think the direct and indirect (that is, red and green in ASET, respectively) light return will be a little bit more evenly distributed in these stones.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1205970.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1268562.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Radiant-Diamond-1203776.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
Thanks for these. The first and third may have an aspect ratio a bit too far out of square for me. The second looks like a promising stone, but I''m wondering if the SI1 would be noticeable, when compared to a VS1.

How big a difference is there between a medium blue fluor vs a strong fluor? And how important is symmetry and polish?

You guys are awesome!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 6:07:43 PM

Date: 3/28/2010 4:18:12 AM

I think the ASET picture that you posted doesn''t look too bad. It''s got a red in the center, but a bit of green under the table.

Lorelei''s find has the pavilion faceting similar to a princess, but with the corners chopped off. This style is also a good option.

I think one of these may have potential, but I''d want an ASET to make sure (or trust JA''s staff to pick the nicest one.) Basically, the stones in the ''real diamond photo'' isn''t showing as white looking (more gray) which indicates to me there may be a light return issue. What I''m looking for is at least as much red in the ASET as the first one you posted, but I think the direct and indirect (that is, red and green in ASET, respectively) light return will be a little bit more evenly distributed in these stones.

Thanks for these. The first and third may have an aspect ratio a bit too far out of square for me. The second looks like a promising stone, but I''m wondering if the SI1 would be noticeable, when compared to a VS1.

How big a difference is there between a medium blue fluor vs a strong fluor? And how important is symmetry and polish?

You guys are awesome!
Thank you!

With fluorescence the main thing to check with strong is that it isn''t making the stone look cloudy in some lights, but this is rare. Symmetry and polish - one commonly sees good in fancy shapes more than rounds, normally good and above is said to look the same to the naked untrained eye.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

trestin

Rough_Rock
Oh, another nice thing JamesAllen did for me, was to get me another actual picture of the first stone I liked.

Anyway, I''ll hopefully have the ASET images of the other two tomorrow.

Thanks!

Trestin

1203771 actual.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
For radiants thats probably not too bad and is your best option of the three.
Hopefully you can view it in person or with an appraisor before you make your final decision.

You may also consider this one http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3619/ and you might also consider this as well
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4270/ a cushette but similar outline and great light return.

Overall though if the F VS1 it comes in at under 4k and with its faceup size your winner just may be the one you chose originally.

trestin

Rough_Rock
Thanks a bunch. The sales rep at JA said he''s going to have one of their GIA gemologists give their opinion on the three stones, but I''m pretty sure now I want to go with the initial F, VS1 stone at this point, so long as the strong fluor doesn''t detract from the clarity in normal lighting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last/first image is the best Trestin.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yep, that''s pretty much what I suspected was going on. Original choice seems ok to me.

trestin

Rough_Rock
Well, after a long weekend, the sales rep from JA got back in touch with me with his gemologist''s opinion on the three stones. She said the one we liked the most was actually a fisheye, and one of the others was a nailhead.

A quick bit of research on the forums, and it looks like I likely don''t want either of those, so it''s back to the drawing board. I applaud JA for telling it to me straight, and letting me continue to search, instead of getting a diamond that I end up not appreciating as much.

Thanks to all of you for your help and reviews. I anticipate posting more ASET and descriptions as I continue my search.

Really, what I think we want is a well cut, 1 ct, G+, VS2+, Square Radiant (<1.05 l/w), with some fluor, for around $4-5k.

Back to the searching :)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results