shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this please!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a JP signature cut, so it's going to be incredible!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
JP does amazing cuts! From a technical aspect, this diamond is a peak performer. Congrats!

We’d love to see photos when you get it. Haven’t seen many on PS.

shibao

Rough_Rock
I understand that 40.6-40.9 and 34-35 are the ideal PA and CA range. My 41.8 PA & 45 CA seem to be off, especially the CA (if I’m reading the proportions correctly). Should I be concern?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
This is not a round brilliant. It's a proprietary cut from Jann Paul. You can't compare angles from one cut to another. For example, there will be different "ideal" proportions in old mine cuts vs decagon vs cushion vs nova vs round brilliant.

You have to like the style of this cut. Just like people who own transitionals like the petals, and people who own emerald cuts like the long flashes of light. It's about comparing apples to apples, and making sure you actually want an apple. Hope that helps!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a round brilliant. It's a proprietary cut from Jann Paul. You can't compare angles from one cut to another. For example, there will be different "ideal" proportions in old mine cuts vs decagon vs cushion vs nova vs round brilliant.

You have to like the style of this cut. Just like people who own transitionals like the petals, and people who own emerald cuts like the long flashes of light. It's about comparing apples to apples, and making sure you actually want an apple. Hope that helps!

I agree completely!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Were you specifically seeking out a JP stone? This is a specialty cut, it’s nothing like a round brilliant. It’s stunning but definitely requires a specific affinity for this style.

shibao

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies so far! I went to look for more JP octagon nova GCAL certs and found that of the 21 certs I looked up, 20 are pretty consistent at 34.5 CA and 36.6/36.8 PA. Only found 1 other octagon nova with a similar proportion to mine at 44.5 CA, 41.6 PA. I guess my question now is even though it seems JP mostly cut the novas to 34.5 and 36.6, my proportions would totally perform equally well?

shibao

Rough_Rock
Were you specifically seeking out a JP stone? This is a specialty cut, it’s nothing like a round brilliant. It’s stunning but definitely requires a specific affinity for this style.

Yes I was definitely looking at JP speciality cut. Had a hard time deciding between decagon and octagon nova but finally went for nova because of the star haha

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Yes I was definitely looking at JP speciality cut. Had a hard time deciding between decagon and octagon nova but finally went for nova because of the star haha

The nova is incredible. It reminds me of a twinkling snowflake.

shibao

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the replies so far! I went to look for more JP octagon nova GCAL certs and found that of the 21 certs I looked up, 20 are cut pretty consistent at 34.5 CA and 36.6/36.8 PA. Only found 1 other octagon nova with a similar proportion to mine at 44.5 CA, 41.6 PA. I guess my question now is it seems JP mostly cut the novas to 34.5 and 36.6, but my proportions would totally perform equally well?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the replies so far! I went to look for more JP octagon nova GCAL certs and found that of the 21 certs I looked up, 20 are cut pretty consistent at 34.5 CA and 36.6/36.8 PA. Only found 1 other octagon nova with a similar proportion to mine at 44.5 CA, 41.6 PA. I guess my question now is it seems JP mostly cut the novas to 34.5 and 36.6, but my proportions would totally perform equally well?

You could compare the fire videos and scintillation pattern in the GCAL links to see which set of proportions perform better. Or ask JP to make a video for you directly comparing the two. You might always wonder otherwise.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Since this a relatively new cut, I’d ask them about the angles. And are you in a return period? Do you have it in hand? Are they able to show you 2 novas side by side with different angles?

A CA of 45 seems just plain weird.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Since this a relatively new cut, I’d ask them about the angles. And are you in a return period? Do you have it in hand? Are they able to show you 2 novas side by side with different angles?

A CA of 45 seems just plain weird.

I tried to calculate the dimensions and it just won’t. It’s unlikely that there’s an error on the GCAL cert but I’m not sure how those degrees are possible.

shibao

Rough_Rock
I tried to calculate the dimensions and it just won’t. It’s unlikely that there’s an error on the GCAL cert but I’m not sure how those degrees are possible.

An update! So finally jannpaul replied me and turns out there was indeed an issue with the proportions scanned on the certification. in short the helium machine used is very sensitive and couldn't quite capture proportions of fancy shaped diamond precisely, which has now been resolved. we will have my diamond sent back to be re-scanned (what would I do with a wrongly printed cert otherwise).

I appreciate that that gcal certs are transparent in displaying more details compared to other companies but not gonna lie it's a little disappointing that both gcal and jannpaul did not verify the info printed on the certs are accurate before handling them over the cusotmers. Out of the 21 nova certs i went through, I did find another cert with the same error and have raised it to jp. Hopefully they will be more careful from here on to maintain their good reputation.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
These numbers seem right to me. CA 34.5 is in the desired zone. But I’m still a newbie … let’s see what others think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results