shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this OVAL please

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock
I'm new to this diamond search and have done a lot of research about oval diamonds but I still need lots of help. I would like to get other thoughts about this diamond. It seems to have good light performance however it has a dark thin bow-tie (is it to distracting/I read that the blue on the aset around the bow-tie is a bad sign). I attached the link which also has a video and specs below and some additional images.

I look forward to your feedback! Thanks!

aset_79.jpg
twzr2_1.jpg
idealscope_36.jpg twzr1_1.jpg
glam_1.jpg
diam_1.jpg

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut-loose-diamond-3662208.htm

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a large bow tie... I'd keep looking.

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock
Okay thanks. I was in limbo because it seemed pretty thin and contained, but I haven't seen many ASET images of an oval with that much blue in the bowtie area.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
x2xx7x|1464044401|4035435 said:
Okay thanks. I was in limbo because it seemed pretty thin and contained, but I haven't seen many ASET images of an oval with that much blue in the bowtie area.

Yeah... it's not thin at all really. It appears to be a huge black line. WF probably isn't the best vendor for fancies. Have you checked out JA, EC, or GOG?

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock
I'm looking into a few at JA that fit into my price range and GOG seems to be a bit more expensive than other locations. I'm looking for a 1.7 ct oval between 11-12.2K.

What site is EC? I don't think I checked them out.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
x2xx7x|1464046220|4035450 said:
I'm looking into a few at JA that fit into my price range and GOG seems to be a bit more expensive than other locations. I'm looking for a 1.7 ct oval between 11-12.2K.

What site is EC? I don't think I checked them out.

With ovals, you need to ignore carat weight and focus on what dimensions/size you want... because they are fancies, they will vary wildy in size and shape for the same carat weight. Is there a specific ratio you're looking for, or do you know what size you'd like to hit?

What is your color tolerance (since ovals show more tint than rounds, I wouldn't go below H unless you don't mind warmth). Is "eye clean" okay with you, or is there a specific "mind clean" clarity you need to have?

EC is Enchanted Diamonds. They provide photos, videos, ASETs, etc on some of their stones. Ignore their cut grades.

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock
Oh, Okay. I did look at some on their site.

The ratio I think I like best is around 1.4-1.55
As far as the other specifications, I was looking in G & H for color and VS2 and SI1 (eye clean) for clarity.

If you notice anything that falls in my range I would appreciate the help.

I was looking at whiteflash because I'm in new York. Trying to avoid the sales tax :)

Thanks!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
x2xx7x|1464047824|4035461 said:

As far as the other specifications, I was looking in G & H for color and VS2 and SI1 (eye clean) for clarity.

If you notice anything that falls in my range I would appreciate the help.

I was looking at whiteflash because I'm in new York. Trying to avoid the sales tax :)

Thanks!

I'm not the best at ovals, but there are several PS members who are really good at finding them. Maybe Niel, Gypsy, or another member will see this and chime in.

Do you know what size you'd like? ("at least X mm length...")

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
x2xx7x|1464047824|4035461 said:

Just to clarify... you know this is an extremely skinny oval, right? Most prefer 1.3-1.4 ratio...

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock
Oh totally right I looked at it again I would say I'm probably more like 1.33-1.48

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is an "I" colored stone...I usually try to stick to H or above for ovals but this one looks to have a very nice cut. You
can see that the center radiates to the north and south ends (hardly ever see that). Plus the arrows going through the center
are not too dark and the facets feather out pretty nicely from there.

You might ask JA about the color of this one and ask if it's a low I or a high I. Ask about eye-cleanliness also.

What kind of setting are you planning on? Anything that covers the pavilion (like a halo) or are you looking at solitaires?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.80-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-496731

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1464110375|4035814 said:
What kind of setting are you planning on? Anything that covers the pavilion (like a halo) or are you looking at solitaires?

Just a simple band with a halo under the diamond (platinum). See picture below. setting_1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
x2xx7x|1464112683|4035828 said:
Thanks for suggestion I will definitely look into it. I agree though I was trying to stay in the G-H range but if the I is on the clear side I would consider it. What do you think of this one tyty333?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.70-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-1133558

Well, I think it is above average through the center but it still has the typical mush you see outside the center heading
north and south. It looks to have nice areas outside of the table at the N/S ends (sometimes these are even mush). It does
have nice feathering of facets through the center. So the orange are the nice faceting areas that look like they will return
light fairly nice. The yellow is the typical areas of mush in ovals. Talk to JA and ask them about the stone. Ask them to
describe to you what they see. Ask for an aset and post.

Edit ...if the yellow area is putting off some small sparks/glitter it might not be bad. I just like to see more bigger facets
turning on/off.

large_oval.png

x2xx7x

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1464113627|4035835 said:
Well, I think it is above average through the center but it still has the typical mush you see outside the center heading
north and south. It looks to have nice areas outside of the table at the N/S ends (sometimes these are even mush). It does
have nice feathering of facets through the center. So the orange are the nice faceting areas that look like they will return
light fairly nice. The yellow is the typical areas of mush in ovals. Talk to JA and ask them about the stone. Ask them to
describe to you what they see. Ask for an aset and post.

Edit ...if the yellow area is putting off some small sparks/glitter it might not be bad. I just like to see more bigger facets
turning on/off.

I received the ASET from JA. Light performance doesn't seem to be great... would you agree tyty333? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

aset2_11.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results