shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this oval diamond?

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
I've purchased this stone from Rare Carat for what I think is a really great price ($3700).

It hasn't shipped yet and of course they have a great return policy. Link is to Brilliance or Blue Nile because they still happen to have photos up. A few other sites who have since removed the listing had it priced at $6200. I'm thinking it was priced really competitively because of the inclusion on the table. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the stone and the inclusion on the table. I'm thinking if you know where it is, you will see it if you look super close, but it should blend in for the most part, especially since it's a small black speck and the rest is a cloud or feather? I've seen other stones and I'm going for something in this size range and am trying to extend my budget. Other stones in my budget seem to have much larger black inclusions on the table. Rare Carat have been great and I have no doubt I will have any issue if I decide not to keep it.

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @amitjm1980
I would not recommend this stone. It has a lot of "mushy" areas and not enough area reflecting light nicely. Ovals are hard
to pick but I think we should be able to find something with better light return (I think).

So $6200 is top of your budget?

Edit...this came up with a quick look...I've got to go do some things but will look more later. Hopefully, someone else will help
you look for stones

This one has a pretty thick girdle but can you see the difference in the light return vs. the one you picked? It also has a little
something going on under the table (SI1) but I would think it would be cleaner than the dark inclusion that the one you picked
has. YMMV

Last edited:

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi @amitjm1980
I would not recommend this stone. It has a lot of "mushy" areas and not enough area reflecting light nicely. Ovals are hard
to pick but I think we should be able to find something with better light return (I think).

So $6200 is top of your budget?

I appreciate the feedback. It's also so hard just to look at something online. I already purchased but it's Rare Carat so I will return if I'm not happy with it in person. The top of my budget is right around $4K, so I was trying to find something to "give up" to get something a bit larger.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was that stone $4k on rare carats?

I'll look around and see what I can find.

Edit..can you see the difference between the one I pointed out and the one you purchased?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think that the one you picked shows evidence of leakage in the table area. This will show up as areas of dullness or darkness in the stone, so the light won't reflect fully across the whole table of the stone and it may not be as bright and sparkly as it would be if it was better cut.

If size is your priority, which is fine, this may be acceptable to you. I would prefer to go a little smaller or perhaps look for an SI2 where the grade making inclusions are around the perimeter where they could be hidden by a prong. You could also go more tinted. But in the end your priorities are yours.

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
yes 3700 plus tax. I do see a difference.

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
I also think that the one you picked shows evidence of leakage in the table area. This will show up as areas of dullness or darkness in the stone, so the light won't reflect fully across the whole table of the stone and it may not be as bright and sparkly as it would be if it was better cut.

If size is your priority, which is fine, this may be acceptable to you. I would prefer to go a little smaller or perhaps look for an SI2 where the grade making inclusions are around the perimeter where they could be hidden by a prong. You could also go more tinted. But in the end your priorities are yours.

ok appreciate your advice! I like the idea of trying an SI2 with perimeter inclusions.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found these 2 (while not perfect, they do have better light return). I did go down to 1.2/h/SI2. Even though these are smaller
carat weight they are similar in size to what you were looking at (maybe a tad smaller but worth the trade-off for better light return).

This one has a lot going...including a knot

This has a different look. It's a 4 main ...if you look at the Clarity Map/Pavilion view you can see the 4 mains. You may or may not
like this faceting pattern...let me know.

That's about all I'm finding so far. Adiamor has both those rare carat stones I posted at lower prices I believe.

I may try to drop down in carat weight but stay close to 8mm (length) and see what I can find.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely wouldn't stick with the original one you posted. Too much "mush" and not a lot of light return. I like the 1.20 from Adiamor that tyty posted.

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
thanks all! I like that H too. I'll save it and assuming I'm not a fan of the original, I will keep some of these in mind as a replacement.

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just wanted to provide an update. I received the diamond yesterday. I think this ended up being a case where the listing doesn't do the diamond justice. The brilliance.com link is definitely not representative of the diamond in person. The Blue Nile link is better but still not accurate. Based on everyone's feedback and the suggested alternate stones, they certainly look better just going by the photos online compared to the one I purchased. In person however is a different story. I visited my local jeweler last evening who will be doing the setting and compared to various other stones, both similar in grading and ones graded better. The only discernible difference I could note is a slight color difference when compared to D/E stones which goes away when the white background goes away. Brilliance and clarity looked the same from everyday distances and even close up by my eyes, and this is completely eye clean to me even close up so I'm pretty happy and decided to keep it. I do appreciate everyone's feedback and I had alternate stones already saved just in case taking into account everyone's suggestions. I guess I'm just sharing because it may be helpful for others to know they could take a chance to order a stone they are unsure about and see it in person, especially given Rare Carat's return policy (they will even pay return shipping)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I'm glad you found a stone that works for you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
We’d love to see photos or videos as eye candy! Glad you love it.

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
best I could do with a cell phone.

amitjm1980

Rough_Rock
Trade
Final product. This is a setting from rare carat. They were kind enough to fulfill my request for a video prior to shipping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results