shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Oval? 1.3, F, VVS2

tharan22

Rough_Rock
As the thread title asks, what is everyone's thoughts on this oval stone? High-level deets are natural 1.3 carat, F, VVS2. GIA report is shown below:

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 11.01.31 PM.png

Looking for a second opinion. I was able to pick this up for $15,145 CAD after a price match. I'm still within the free return period though. Input and thoughts are appreciated!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price seems fair...unfortunately, fancy cuts like Ovals can not be evaluated by the numbers (GIA reports). All I can say is
that the table is a little bit on the larger size but without seeing up-close pictures/videos of the stone it is impossible to
evaluate. You might also ask for an ASET image to see if you can get it. Post if you can.

Do you have a link to this stone by any chance? Any pics you can post?

Edit...the only other thing I can point out is that it has an Etched Channel which may mean this stone has been enhanced to
improve its clarity. From what I understand they trade at a little off. I would investigate that further. Let me get a pro in
here that can address that further (because I don't know enough). @Karl_K do you have any comments on etched channels
and how they affect the cost (if they do at all)? Are Etched Channels ever natural?

tharan22

Rough_Rock
Price seems fair...unfortunately, fancy cuts like Ovals can not be evaluated by the numbers (GIA reports). All I can say is
that the table is a little bit on the larger size but without seeing up-close pictures/videos of the stone it is impossible to
evaluate. You might also ask for an ASET image to see if you can get it. Post if you can.

Do you have a link to this stone by any chance? Any pics you can post?

Edit...the only other thing I can point out is that it has an Etched Channel which may mean this stone has been enhanced to
improve its clarity. From what I understand they trade at a little off. I would investigate that further. Let me get a pro in
here that can address that further (because I don't know enough). @Karl_K do you have any comments on etched channels
and how they affect the cost (if they do at all)? Are Etched Channels ever natural?

Thanks for the response! Yeah, fair point on it being a fancy cut. I'll see if I can get the ASET image. Here's a video that I was provided — https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgbrwxp2xsgzkp6/1.3_VVS2_F 2022-09-16 at 9.53.07 AM.mov?dl=0

Yeah, the etch channel worries me a bit. My online reading says that its naturally occurring and shouldn't really be an issue at higher clarity like VVS? Unfortunately, the ASET image isn't available.

I'm a n00b though, so would appreciate more advice on the etch channel.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are Etched Channels ever natural?
Yes, if its listed as such on the report and the diamond is not listed as treated then the lab concluded its natural.
The theory is its like a pipe bursting, liquid was trapped in the stone and the temperature and pressure got so high that it blasted a hole to the outside.
The problem is they can look very much like laser cut channels for treatments.
The labs say they can tell the 2 apart.
There are some people who dispute that and avoid them.
My take on it at vvs its more than likely natural as claimed by the lab.
The tiny etch channel would lower the grade more than the original inclusion more than likely so it makes little sense to do so on a vvs stone.
SI with large etch channels, I'm going to say nope not I.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you have a Face up static picture?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Karl_K Very informative!

tharan22

Rough_Rock
I don't have the face up static picture unfortunately, @Karl_K.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't have the face up static picture unfortunately, @Karl_K.
With the info available it is really inconclusive.
The video is pointing towards there being a bow tie issue with the center facets. Its not conclusive however.

tharan22

Rough_Rock
With the info available it is really inconclusive.
The video is pointing towards there being a bow tie issue with the center facets. Its not conclusive however.

Thanks for letting me know. When I get the stone, I'll be sure to provide more photos and video.

tharan22

Rough_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what do you think @tharan22 ? Have you checked it out in different lighting conditions?

tharan22

Rough_Rock
So what do you think @tharan22 ? Have you checked it out in different lighting conditions?

Honestly, I like it very much! It sparkles a ton in the sunlight and artificial lighting. Bowtie is also very hard (and almost impossible for me at least) to see under those lighting conditions.

tharan22

Rough_Rock
I think I can kinda see it more when it is horizontal, but I don't know if that's entirely unavoidable. See below:

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 5.54.55 PM.png

I know bowties on fancy cuts are very common. That said, I just don't have a great read on what is a terribly bad bowtie vs. a reasonable one.

tharan22

Rough_Rock
Any other thoughts?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
looks good and it sounds like you like it a lot.
congrates!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results