shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this OMC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
We have officially started the hunt for the diamond! Here is one we are considering. All the info I have is as follows - 2 carat, OMC, VS2. It is not certified, but I''m personally not so hung up on that as I realize many old stones are not certified. Thoughts based on the pic?

OMC2carat.JPG

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty... I think that''s from old World diamonds?

If so, just ask Adam for his opinion since he does pick out the best.

Also, I might suggest too, JewelsbyEricaGrace... they have amazing stuff as well.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks very promising! Any chance your vender can give you an ASET or other images to be sure there isn''t a major black hole in the middle?

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
I''m a newbie to antique cuts, but I think that it looks like a really pretty stone with no standout flaws. The faceting is particularly nice, I think.

Since I am looking around at these antique cuts too, I''d love to hear where this pretty thing is from!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great! I love the big culet. Did Adam provide any profile photos?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like a very pretty stone to me, but that''s very subjective! Does it meet the criteria you''ve set? Is it being sold by a reputable dealer whose grading you trust (since it''s uncerted)? Have you looked at it in person? What about other specs, like color, dimensions, etc.? Are you looking for advice on pricing, or have you already determined that the price is fair?

I am of the opinion that each old cut is so unique that only you can decide which one speaks to you. Personally, I love the shape of this OMC, the culet reflections, culet size, etc. But more importantly, do YOU love the look of it?

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!

Erica - It is an M color. Yes, it is being sold by a reputable dealer that I trust re: the grading. I don''t have other specs just yet. I''m going to see it in person later this week or early next week. From the pic, I am very fond of the shape, facets, culet, and LOVE the culet reflection in the stone. I''d like to see how white and well it faces up. What would you expect the price to be on a stone like this?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful to me:)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I bought an 1.75ct. M, VS2 for under $5K last year from Old World. I would expect to pay less than $7K. Probably quite a bit less, but then I tend not to overpay.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m here! Between recent surgery and packing for a long trip with my family, I have been somewhat sporadic getting online.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but a big factor in pricing old cuts is a stone''s make. Polish, symmetry, general appearance. It''s difficult to simply comp based on specs alone, as a stone with terrific make, white face up, good symmetry and nice spread will command a premium over more "rustic" OMC''s.

Without all the details (depth, dimensions, exact weight, etc.), it''s hard to speculate on pricing. I have spent a little time searching and am having trouble finding a good comp for this stone, so the best I can say is that under $10k, assuming a superb make and highly reputable dealer, would be worth consideration. I wish I could be more specific, but I don''t think it''s fair to set your expectations based on vague specs and one photo.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the additional comments.

Purrfect Pear - 1.75 for under 5K? All I can say is wow. Those are not the prices I am finding for the stones I am looking at.

Erica D - I very much appreciate your honesty as well as your reserved opinion given the limited info I have on the stone so far. I will report back if it is a serious contender after we see it in person. Thanks again for the help!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
One caveat... antique stones typically face up smaller than their modern counterparts because of the type of technology available at the time these stones were cut. So a 2 carat OEC probably will face up smaller than 8.2mm (Modern RB as the equivalent). However some do face up equivalently or even bigger (shallower stones).

So weight isn''t necessarily a telling factor in how "big" an antique stone is. Go by the dimensions. :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results